Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

[VS] Idea : Tactical Testing & Training Tuesdays

Next session : Session #2 : Watchtower Assault http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...l=1#post310804
    June 4th (Next Tuesday) 19h BST (20h CEST)

Session reports :
    - Session #1 : Shield Breaker Sundy : http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...l=1#post308712
    - Session #2 : Watchtower Assault (part 1) : Gal drops : http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...l=1#post312026

Original post :

Ok, this is an idea that have been sitting on my mind for a long time, ever since I saw our numerous, and often failed, attempts at a Shield Breaker Sundy. Recent TACGIR, where we improvised some moves with varying degrees of success, made me think I should start this thing ASAP.

The idea of TTTT is that volunteers meet together one evening, for 30 min or 1h max, to talk, test and then train for a tactical maneuver.

A manoeuver is a short, tactical, coordinated move that can be done by a single squad, and is intended to provide an advantage on the battlefield. Here are some ideas :
    - Shield breaker sundy assault
    - Full light-assault squad jump assault (over tech plant shields, on first floor of watchtower, etc.)
    - Full squad assault on watchtower's stairs
    - Assault on Watchtower with Leader using a Scythe and Ejection Seat while the rest of the squad use Squad Deploy/Spawn Beacon.

The TTTT would, most of the time, not involve actual combat. We would do this on a remote VS location, and test the maneuver in a no-stress environment. The idea is that in this environment, we can take the time to think about how to effectively pull the maneuver, what are the DOs and the DONTs for this maneuver, ask any questions we have about the maneuver and then once we have figured that out, we train by executing the maneuver as if we were in a real combat situation.

If we take the time to learn them, we will be able to remember them during combat situations, and then effectively apply them. If at least one person in a TACGIR squad knows what you should and shouldn't do during a specific maneuver, you already increased your chances of success.

The way I see it, anybody can set up a TTTT session on a specific topic, you don't have to be an expert in the maneuver. I hope that the people who will join will be able to provide their experience and their ideas to perform the move correctly. And if no veterans come, or if no one ever tried a maneuver, well, that's what Testing & Training is for.

So if you think this is a good idea, I would like to set up a session next Tuesday, 19 BST (20H CEST) on the Gate Diffuser Sundy, aka Shield Breaker Sundy.
    Last edited by Ksempac; 04-06-2013 at 08:43 PM.

Network Hub
    Seconded. Be sure you submit this to rockplanetshotgun.com's Events page.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Excellent idea!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Great idea, though it might be a good idea to include more than one aspect in each training session, because I dont think the shield breaker sunderer will fill much time.

Better to do one thing at a time, because things always take longer than one might think. At least that's my experience frm trying to do these things before.

As Esoteric said, you don't know how long it's gonna take. People think it's simply a matter of pushing a button, getting through the shield and that's it. That's why we often fail. Getting through the shield is the easy part, everything else is the hard part. The maneuver starts by getting a full 12 people squad, with the correct mix of classes, and ends with an AMS Sundy up and running in the enemy base.

So explaining all that will take time, but it will take even more time to practice it. As I said, I want to actually practice the maneuver. At least get everyone to try a Shield Breaker Sundy. Too many times I have seen someone asking "btw, how does this shield thing work ?" when they are already near the shield with tanks attacking them.
    Also I wish to have people practicing at being SL of a 12 people squad pulling the maneuver.

Finally remember that there won't be much action during theses sessions, so I don't expect people to want to do "fake" tactical maneuvers in friendly bases for hours.

Anyways, if it takes only 10 min for everyone to be 100% ready to apply that maneuver in combat situation, well so much the better, we will be back to the main platoon/the real combat faster.
    Last edited by Ksempac; 26-05-2013 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksempac View Post
    The maneuver starts by getting a full 12 people squad, with the correct mix of classes, and ends with an AMS Sundy up and running in the enemy base.
    I may be taking your meaning wrong, but aren't shield defusal and AMS both on the utility slot? You can't have both at the same time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Can we just call it Tactical Testing Tuesdays (Triple T)? Also yes, if a few people have tried it out in theory it will be a lot easier to put these techniques into practice.

Yesssssssss.

Make it so, Ksempac, make. it. so.

Sounds really good, a good way to break newbies like myself into squad play. Not sure if I can make that time though, still wrangling kids into bed.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    I'd been thinking of running some 'intro to tacgir' squads anyway. Not to do specific maneuvers just to get more people familiar with working as a squad and to de-mystify tacgir. I still plan to do that (if that's welcome?) and I see it as separate to TTTT - which I think is a brilliant endeavour. I'll just announce potential intro sessions ad hoc on mumble and do it if there are 8 or so folks interested. I'm also keen to join in for some TTTT!
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

A good idea Wally! Demystifying tacgir sounds like it could be very helpful.

Yes, hence the problem. You need to run inside the shields with at least one infiltrator, make sure the infil can reach the vehicle terminal, hack it and get your AMS sundies up and then keep them alive. Takes a bit of coordination to pull off reliably, but very effective when it works. Especially if you have a big enough friendly force standing by to spawn into the base once your AMss are up.

Network Hub
    Yes please. Is this tomorrow? I have the first rank of shield breaker so I will attend. I've instigated this a couple of times in the past with some success but in a rather disorganised fashion. It's especially funny when your passengers aren't expecting it. I have the ejector seat and spawn beacon too.

Also, I don't think this exercise calls for an opposing force but there's a few of us with alts now. My NC has a few weapons and certs and my TR has an AMS at least, so if you need someone to shoot at I will oblige.

Network Hub
    Doesn't the hacked AMS usually auto-drive outside the shield? You need another vehicle (blockade Sundy would be best) waiting outside to stop it from leaving, if I recall.

An added complexity certainly.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    The easiest way is to pull 2 sundies in rapid succession.

That way the first one just has to reverse a little and the 2nd bounces off of it.

Quote Originally Posted by apricotsoup View Post
    The easiest way is to pull 2 sundies in rapid succession.

That way the first one just has to reverse a little and the 2nd bounces off of it.
    But then you've "wasted" one of your sundies and 400 resources for someone. Wouldn't it work with a lightning or Harasser too?

(short message I'm at work and on my smartphone)

Yes it's tomorrow, yes everything Eso said is right, yes it works with a lightning (i've seen coffeetable do it). No idea for harasser... That's one of the thing we will be able to test!

I'm aware of all that, I'm not pretending that it's complicated. However we've seen on this thread several people who weren't fully aware of all the details in this maneuver. That's exactly why we need to practice it.

Also, you can just park your shield breaker with just a tiny bit of its back end sticking outside, then people just enter it and exit it to bypass the shield. However, i'm not 100% sure... The Sunderer might just get bumped inside the shield once the breaker runs out of its charge. I suppose it can be a tactic to try out!
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick