Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, think they fixed [read:nerfed] that Nick. Not sure tho.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Now, I might be running ahead of events here, but I don't think I'll be able to make it to tomorrow's event. So here are my thoughts on the Shield Breaker Sundy trick:

The trick (for Amp stations, which are the trickiest to get into) is to:
    • get inside the shields (first vehicle shields, then facility shield)
    • hack the vehicle terminal
    • block the exit from the hacked vehicle spawn pad
    • spawn at least one AMS sundy which wil now end up inside the shields
    • deploying said Sundy in a good spot while spewing out several more Sundies as backup
    • keeping the Sundies safe
    • doing all of this within 30 seconds or so and
    • staying alive while doing so and at the same time taking down the SCU shield and SCU, and capping the base.

This requires quite a bit of planning:
    • bring enough infiltrators to avoid single-point-of-failure scenarios
    • bring enough medics, to keep people alive until Sundy is deployed inside
    • bring enough MAXes (AI+AV) to get some extra staying power against any defenders
    • bring enough Engineers to keep MAXes alive until the first AMS sundy is deployed inside the shields
    • get a good pair of guns plus blockade armour/mineguard on the Sundy
    • make sure everyone knows what their job is:
      • MAX/Heavy clear a path to the vehicle terminal, make sure it is not destroyed before several 'Sundies have been spawned
      • Infiltrator: make a beeline for one of the vehicle terminals as soon as it is relatively safe to do so, spawn something to block the exit from the vehicle pad
      • Medic: get others up when you can, but most of all stay alive! perhaps sit in the Sundy manning a gun, switching seats with an infiltrator when their job is done
      • Engineer: keep the MAXes alive. Once AMS Sundies are deployed, keep them up. Put down AI mines on likely approaches to the AMS sundy

What I think the shield breaker sundy crew and maybe another squad too, should focus on is keeping the AMS Sundies up inside the base, every other concern is secondary. Spawn points fuel any fight in Planetside 2! Do anything you can to keep sundies alive. Take a rocket for Vanu, so that your AMS doesn't have to.

Lots of things to do and to keep track of if it is to be really effective. A proper challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Yeah, think they fixed [read:nerfed] that Nick. Not sure tho.
    I heard it's supposed to take damage hile intersecting the shield without the thingy active, until it explodes. Not sure if it is possible to keep it alive with repair tools, though. Hmm...

Obscure Node
    I reckon a good idea would be to do some focused training in infantry tactics some time. I often feel that when we've got a lot of people we tend to either get too split up, or end up with a lot of redundancy, with everyone watching one door, then end up getting flanked because we've not covered all the approaches, that sort of stuff. It'd be nice to train ourselves to do just some basic stuff like a bounding over watch advance, that sort of stuff. Maybe best to do in a TACGIR format, as it requires slightly tighter control of squads.

Here's a video of some peeps doing it in PS2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdUz0-pvwos

A video of it being done in ARMA:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6nVaFF233E

It'd probably be best to do it on a squad-by-squad basis, with Alpha working with Bravo, Charlie working with Delta. I don't think full on 4 man fire teams are necessary for PS2. Essentially, Alpha would be holding a position, with each member of the squad covering a particular fire angle, bravo would advance, preferably into cover, then provide over watch for alpha, who then advance past bravo. All the while, the covering squad pouring as much fire at enemies, or even just in the rough direction of the enemy as possible.

Then maybe some more work on building movement and secure would be useful.
    Also known as StalinsGhost (one of the Steam group moderators).

Planetside alias is StGhost

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    If a sundy rolls into an engie turret the turret explodes but the sundy stops moving. So its a cheap way to block the exit from the vehicle spawn for a while.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Back at home, so I can properly reply to everyone :

@darkweeble > no idea how to post this on Steam, you may do so yourself if you wish.

@Rizlar > I don't care much about the name, I agree it sound weird, I just wanted a catchy name that correctly represents the idea. If TTTT bothers people, Tactical Testing & Training would be the best name I think (because it includes the three important concepts of the idea).

@b3ll3nd > I toyed a lot with the idea of an opposing force, to make it more real and interesting, but what happened during QuantaCat film session made me think it will be too much of a hassle. You can't have too much friendly fire, and when you bring enemies alt you have to deal with a lot of crap (people using alt can't train, making them come in a VS safe zone is a pain, non-RPS may kill them, have to warn GM we're not cheating/farming, etc.) We will see how this first session goes, and if we feel it's too easy, maybe we will try adding an opposing force.

@WallyTrooper > Yes, it would be a good idea to do a true tutorial for TACGIR. GinSoakedBoy was supposed to do it but is not here any more, so darkweeble was looking for a replacement, you should contact him on the forum.

@NickWhite > I have no idea whether it works or not, but for me it looks like an exploit (same as Harassers clipping through doors). Personally, I don't think we should put RPS in this sort of grey area. My own opinion, others may disagree.

@Eso > Thanks for your input, but I still hope you will be able to join us.

@TrooperWally > I added the turret trick in my mental to do list of things to talk about/try tomorrow.

I hope I've provided answers for everyone and that I will see most of you tomorrow during the session.
    Last edited by Ksempac; 27-05-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Network Hub
    Ksempac I meant go to rockplanetshotgun.com and submit your event there. That's the outfit webpage. I think the Steam Guru is Cooper. Whoever it is will make that popup for you.

Yes, I have arranged to actually be there tomorrow. Looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by darkweeble View Post
    Ksempac I meant go to rockplanetshotgun.com and submit your event there. That's the outfit webpage. I think the Steam Guru is Cooper. Whoever it is will make that popup for you.
    I posted it on the site.

However, since the site is broken in Firefox (can't use the "Submit an event" sub-menu), I couldn't do it through that, so I did it through IE, and it was even more broken so I had a weird zoomed version of the site in which I couldn't really see what I was doing. I submitted the event, and then noticed it was full of grammar errors :s

If Cooper can modify it, here is the correct text :

"TTT is a new event, where we focus on one specific maneuver. The maneuver is a move performed by a squad to gain an advantage on the battlefield.
    During the session, we will first test the maneuver and think on what’s the best way to perform it. Then we will practice doing it, with a SL leading the maneuver.

This event is for both beginners and vets, with everyone contributing questions, answers and ideas to best perform the maneuver.
    This first session will focus on the Gate Diffuser Sunderer, aka Shield Breaker Sundy"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Site works fine for me in Firefox.

Anyway, what is currently on the site and what you've posted there look to be the same to me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    If you think shield sundy will fill up an entire session, fair enough, but it might still be wise to have some ideas in mind just in case it takes less time than you predicted.

My main point though was that there will inevitably be weeks where the content will not fill up the time slot, so multiple items would be a good idea.. Or at least, multiple scenarios/variations of said ideas.

For example, the session could include other sunderer tutorials, or provide scenarios where flashes or harassers are used in conjunction, i.e. as mass transport into the area or to take the heat off of the sundy upon approach.

Anyway, something to think about.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Looking forward to the first session on shield breaking this evening. I will be there!

Hmm. This seems like an awesome idea, and I'd be glad to turn up. I've only been playing two days and I've been surprised by the sheer variety of tactics other factions have employed and I've been taking notes for sure. I'd love to one day contribute to this, but for now I'll just turn up and hop in the Sundy

Had great fun at our shieldbreaker Sundy session just now, I'm sure others will do a more thorough write-up, but I just wanted to share this screenshot of RPS Sundy's parked in a TR vehicle bay...

Session #1 Report. Subject : Shield Breaker Sundy

The session went really well, we covered all the steps in the maneuver. I can't detail everything, but I will try to put the main points below. Then we practiced the move on a VS Tech Plant, and then we tried it on a TR Tech Plant. Then a silly thing happened. We couldn't cap the point, but the NC could, and a single guy capped the point, which we then defended...against a TR force ! It was very silly, and very fun The NC captured the tech plant thanks to us

What to check BEFORE the maneuver :
    - No friendly AMS deployed that covers the vehicle pad, otherwise you can't pull the maneuver at all. If there is a friendly AMS deployed in a bad position, get in contact with thoses who deployed it.

How to equip your Sunderer :
    - Gate Diffuser lvl 1 (higher level needed if you want to go through the 2 shields of an Amp station) aka "Shield Breaker"
    - Mine Guard as high as possible, because there are often tanks mines around the vehicle pads.
    - AI weapons (Basilisks or Fury)

How to set up your squad (approximative)
    - 2 infiltrators (avoid single point of failures)
    - 6 medics (need to keep people alive for the whole maneuver)
    - 2 MAXes (good against Infantry)
    - 2 engis (heal sundy, pull turrets (see below)) including the squad leader

How to use the Gate Diffuser : Use X or F to activate utility. 8s of Gate diffusing at level 1, 14s at level 4. After that you have an undetermined cooldown period.

What to do when rushing with the Sundy :

- Go full speed (a bug might prevent you from going through the shield otherwise)
    - On a tech plant, aim for the vehicle pad shield rather than the central one, it will be closer to the jump pad.
    - Aim for the left of the left vehicle pad, or the right of the right vehicle pad, to get your team as close as possible of the vehicle pad.

Once inside :
    - 2 medics mans the Sundy guns (and keep an eye especially on the tunnels)
    - the engies keeps the sundy alive
    - MAXes and medics ensures enemies die and friendly don't
    - Medic and MAXes cover the infiltrators who are running toward the jump pad and the vehicle terminals.

Tip :
    - By pressing jump on the jump pad, you can reach the terminal faster.

Once the terminal is hacked :

- Before spawning a sundy, block the vehicle pad, so that the sundy doesn't escape through the shield. Lightning (going backward against the shield), Turrets (in front of the vehicle pads) and sundies can do the job. Harasser apparently can't (it didn't work with stationary harrasser but we forgot to test that on the TR shield)
    - Spawn the AMS sundy, and then go backward to remove it from the vehicle pad (and prevent despawning). Deploy ASAP
    - Spawn others sundy because the first will be blown up. Man the sundies guns to defend them. Think about the turrets.

I think that's about it. Did i miss something ? I want this as complete and as accurate as possible because I will link to that post on the first post of this thread, so that people can find and read all TTTT after action report easily.
    Last edited by Ksempac; 28-05-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Yeah, good job Ksempac! Thanks for taking the initiative. I had a blast at that fight at Eisa. I'm sure the TR were rather confused! We held out a good while down there against overwhelming numbers.

And Zekone: that is a beautiful screenshot!

The training was good, informative and fun. A nice talk through/discussion of it all, then a good practice run.

And as for the "live fire" test at Eisa? That was very good fun. Well played to that crazy lone NC soldier, lol. TR couldn't figure out what on earth was happening! We actually held out for a decent amount of time as well, proving the squad was well balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfieV View Post
    The training was good, informative and fun. A nice talk through/discussion of it all, then a good practice run.

And as for the "live fire" test at Eisa? That was very good fun. Well played to that crazy lone NC soldier, lol. TR couldn't figure out what on earth was happening! We actually held out for a decent amount of time as well, proving the squad was well balanced.
    Indeed, that was an epically silly 10 minutes defending that NC's cap I could hardly shoot straight for laughing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Best moment of that live fire test:

TR #1: I have to ask what are you doing here Vanu?
    Giraffe: We are doing sundy training
    TR #2: meh makes sense

Easily one of the top 5 caps I've ever been a part of. Too bad the NC guy didn't type anything in yell.

http://ttp2.dslyecxi.com/

A good read for any shooter that requires more thinking than COD. Everything might not be applicable in Planetside, but a lot of information regarding covering, manoeuvres, usage of terrain, and leadership. It basically covers everything.