Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    I'd quite like to do some kind of LA squad & deploy drop training sometime, but a lot of that revolves around participants having C4 and things so a bit of a barrier to entry.

Would anyone be interested?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Hoc View Post
    Might I suggest having the scythe pilots working in two person teams for taking out tanks? Have one initiate and the other one follow it. It will take out MBTs in 9 cases out of 10.
    Will keep this in mind for the 25th. As you and me did exactly this maneuver together during the weekend, I know it works very well.

Quote Originally Posted by apricotsoup View Post
    I'd quite like to do some kind of LA squad & deploy drop training sometime, but a lot of that revolves around participants having C4 and things so a bit of a barrier to entry.

I have double C4 and I'm definitely interested.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Very interested in more advanced LA tactics. Have double C4 and pump action - all an LA needs!
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Quote Originally Posted by apricotsoup View Post

I don't have flash/c4 yet, but i was planning on getting them soon, so I'm definitely interested (i will have them certed before the training). LA is currently my least played/certed class, but i plan to train it because they offer unique tactical possibilities.

Also, i don't think your requirement is a problem. If some beginners come, practice jetpack and fake throwing c4,i think they will still learn something valuable (how to use jetpacks, what to expect from enemy LA threats, etc.). That might encourage them to play/cert LA more. And that doesn't prevent vets from actually pulling the move with the whole equipment.
    It's a bit like scythes/lib for air squad training : i expect many people will show up with uncerted aircrafts, but they will still be able to learn things and contribute (1 more plane is still 1 more threat for the enemy, even if they can't damage much).

So yeah i suggest you go ahead and organize that TTT
    Last edited by Ksempac; 10-06-2013 at 03:06 PM.

Obscure Node
    Well seeing as squad deploying as a LA with a pair of c4 behind the enemy is fast becoming my new favourite trick i'm well up for a session, Hiding up a tree directly above a enemy sunderer and watching everyone running around in circles looking for you is always hilarious. Falling out of a tree to your death is also a gloriously mundane way to go in Planetside.

One thing i'd really like to try after accidentally sticking a c4 on to MrDay's ass (sorry) the other night is trying to use that trick to help me get a extra c4 from a less mobile class like medic to a enemy sunderer kamikaze style and if I die before I get to detonate the medic can blows the lot.

So yeah a LA session sound like good fun. Entry barrier as far as C4 certs go just take anyone who doesn't have them (which can't be many of us as C4 is awesome) to VR for 2min to try one. Once you've dropped and popped one everything else about them can be learned from watching others use them.

Cheers to Ksempac and everyone else involved putting these on in the first place. Missed last weeks but i'll hopefully be there tomorrow.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    I've also been thinking of trying some LA tactics, just running a regular TACGIR squad of mostly LAs some night. This could be a good preliminary to that, or the other way around.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    I'd like to suggest soemthing we try out, though it probably will not be a long thing.

Assaulting bases without an AMS.

This means practicing:
    * Safe placement of beacons.
    * Getting in the habit of temporarily shifting SL so that we can squad-deploy where needed.
    * The SL getting to the next location ahead of time (scythe suicides...) so squad members can mass beacon or sqaud deploy to reduce travel time to zero.

The sessions should probabyl include rigorous sticking to the "no AMS" rule even if a non-platoon members gets down so we can learn how to most effectively use alternative options. It'll also give us an idea of how fucking useful medics are and maybe get more people to play as medic...

Basically, we have systems in place that mean we absolutely never need to be travelling from one place to another as a group.

We can be in place and have secured the next place to capture before the last one we were at has finished.

It makes sense to trial this on Indar. I know 'front lines' are something people have liked about the lattice but I can't help feeling that Squad Delpoy & Beacons give us an interesting opportunity to utterly defy this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    I'd like to suggest soemthing we try out, though it probably will not be a long thing.

Assaulting bases without an AMS.

This means practicing:
    * Safe placement of beacons.
    * Getting in the habit of temporarily shifting SL so that we can squad-deploy where needed.
    * The SL getting to the next location ahead of time (scythe suicides...) so squad members can mass beacon or sqaud deploy to reduce travel time to zero.

The sessions should probabyl include rigorous sticking to the "no AMS" rule even if a non-platoon members gets down so we can learn how to most effectively use alternative options. It'll also give us an idea of how fucking useful medics are and maybe get more people to play as medic...

Basically, we have systems in place that mean we absolutely never need to be travelling from one place to another as a group.

We can be in place and have secured the next place to capture before the last one we were at has finished.

It makes sense to trial this on Indar. I know 'front lines' are something people have liked about the lattice but I can't help feeling that Squad Delpoy & Beacons give us an interesting opportunity to utterly defy this.
    I'm up for giving it a shot. I've been saying the same thing for a few weeks now, because I think we do waaay too many Redeploy to warpgate -> Gal drop, which is a massive timesink. When a simple Scytche + Squad drop/squad beacon does the same thing but faster, and allows the squad to even aid/secure a point while the squad leader heads off to the next objective.
    Last edited by Sublett; 11-06-2013 at 08:58 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Yes, let's practice sustaining an assault with no AMS. Watching INI in last week's Friday night ops was a bit of an eye opener: they never respawn during an assault it seems. They do stick closer together and have about a third the squad as medic. They also seem to engage the enemy at longer range than us. Not sure if that's related.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Network Hub
    I really like Ksempacs air squad composition, the ground-based element especially. I want to practice pairing up in scythes too, as that's something we've discuss all the time but do only very rarely.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
    I really like Ksempacs air squad composition, the ground-based element especially. I want to practice pairing up in scythes too, as that's something we've discuss all the time but do only very rarely.
    Not my idea, it's all LaKroy's. I don't want to steal his glory

Network Hub
    Aha! I should have read the thread!

Yeah! I'm really looking forward to the Air squad!

And thanks for suggesting this Cooper, i've meant to raise it on here sooner but always forget. It's such a ridiculously useful way to get things done. Amen to the medic thing also, not enough of us about sometimes!
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Network Hub
    Yesterday evening we made several successful assaults by dropping in SLs and mass-dropping on a location without Sundie support. It was a swift and effective method, and I can see it being tremendously useful for those times when you need instant attacks. I think further training with the drop-pod assault is an excellent idea.

+1 for coordinated LA tactics as well. I cannot begin to describe the number of times I've died as an LA, but failed to complete my objective, where more of us working together could have done the job.

Sorry for missing the last two TTTs, but I'll be on tonight. Looking forward to it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by fish food carl View Post
    +1 for coordinated LA tactics as well. I cannot begin to describe the number of times I've died as an LA, but failed to complete my objective, where more of us working together could have done the job.
    Yeah, this. So many times while defending a base I have spawned as LA and easily C4ed an enemy sunderer, but due to no extra damage being applied it just gets healed back up from burning to full. Simply coordinating two or three LAs at a time would make this sort of tactic ridiculously effective.

Re: sustained drop pod assaults, this reminds me of a time I was defending against a ghost cap by two really coordinated players. They seemed to continually redeploy on each other when they died, initially using beacons and then just deploying on each other's bodies and ressing each other. Eventually they ran out of steam and seemed to not be able to redeploy (I could just respawn endlessly in the spawn room). Was interesting tho, how they clearly worked out a way to maximise the number drop-pod deployments.

The only advantage of galdrops would be that you can bring MAXes from the start. However, if your goal is to hack a vehicle terminal and get a sunderer, or hack an infantry terminal, you would have access to them anyway.

Remember that time I went into orbit?

I do. Did you get galaxy slapped?

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    So I wont be doing the LA + drop tactics next tues as it's my birthday and I'll probably be upside down somewhere.

But it should be ok for the one after if that's not already booked, which would be the 25th.