Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Okdoke, now there is new blood here and some old fogies pottering about, the questions need to be asked:

1) Who wants a game? I admit I am the master of irresponsibility and dislike making servers and managing things, but is there a time and server spot people want to give stuff a shot on?

2) Any old fogies have any oppinions on the new guns? The Type 97 I've only shot bots with due to it being a sniper weapon and being massively in demand, but the Type 38 varient that it is makes sence for a sniper weapon. I was somewhat bemused the Type 99 was given the preference at launch.
    I'm personally rather mixed in my opinion of the PPS42. I guess its not bad once you hit level 25 and it gets the stock for it, but at base level it bucks about a bit too much.

Obscure Node
    I love this game but this server browser is killing me. It doesnt show any server %75 percent of the time..

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Prolar Bear's Avatar
    I'm enjoying the game so far, I'd be in for a game - as long as you don't expect me to be more than cannon fodder.

I have to agree with everything that's been said so far: killing 3/4 people without dying does indeed feel like a success, and holding back, not doing stupid movements is the key to staying alive. I also think that the flamethrower is a bit overpowered, since it has incredible range and is pretty much a 1-hit kill.
    How does the unlock system work? For example, do I earn a scope or some weapon upgrade for the rifleman classes? I'd love being a sniper since I can never see enemy players, but that class is always full.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    No, you earn better weapon accuracy and a bayonet or a chance to play with the opposing team's rifleman weapon. \

Sniper scopes actually do not help you spot people, it only makes your vision cone very narrow, what it does do is take down a enemy that others in your team cannot accurately target. Have a play with it in Single Player and see what it feels like.
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prolar Bear View Post
    I'm enjoying the game so far, I'd be in for a game - as long as you don't expect me to be more than cannon fodder.

I have to agree with everything that's been said so far: killing 3/4 people without dying does indeed feel like a success, and holding back, not doing stupid movements is the key to staying alive. I also think that the flamethrower is a bit overpowered, since it has incredible range and is pretty much a 1-hit kill.
    How does the unlock system work? For example, do I earn a scope or some weapon upgrade for the rifleman classes? I'd love being a sniper since I can never see enemy players, but that class is always full.
    Generally the weapons aren't held to strict individual balancing like they might be in other FPS games. Semi auto rifles are pretty much always better than bolt action, for example. Flamethrowers are powerful because they're a key part of the US ability to attack on many maps. Its very hard to break through Japanese defences on maps like Iwo Jima without good artillery calls and flamethrowers. They also result in a lot of friendly fire (hah) if used indiscriminately.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    Semi auto rifles are pretty much always better than bolt action, for example.
    Ehhh... maybe. I'd say with distances over 100m a bolt action is superior. From point blank to about 75m a semi auto is usually better, but after that the accuracy drops off a lot and while a bolt is not PERFECT by any means, it still works quite well up to about 300m. That and the stopping power is that little bit better on the bolt actions. I know all guns have a likelyhood of instant killing enemies, but the bolt actions have a stronger likelyhood of killing in one shot then the semi auto.
    Its possibly best to pop into the Steam Workshop menu and play a large empty map and test both the bolt actions and the semi autos (if you have them unlocked) to see which you prefer.
    A new player does not really need to know this, but over the long term it is very noticeable.

Just also add that not all weapon upgrades are that great and are largely down to player preference. I have the scopes for the AVT and MKb unlocked, however they are so damn restrictive in their views that in close quarters fights I prefer not to have them. Sure you can just hit the ironsights key, but even then you have a huge rail-mount and scope blocking your view.
    The good thing is you can turn off the upgrades if you do so desire.

I find its really really rare to be contributing anything useful by shooting at people over 100m away. In most maps there's few areas where you can even see people that far.

In rising storm, agree. In RO2, Bridges of Drune, Mam Kurgun, Fallen Fighters and Winterwald provide lots of opportunities to take 100m+ shots at people. There are a few others there, but the names slip my mind.
    As I said for newbies its not really relevant, but after some practice you can easily counter snipe people with or without a scope.

EDIT: Reread the post you made. When it comes to being useful its fine as a defender, but as an attacker not as much.
    Last edited by Scumbag; 30-09-2013 at 06:01 PM.

Ok, I'll admit I mostly avoid playing on those maps. Haven't seen Winterwald but Bridges is just horrible. Kurgan and Fallen Fighters at least have plenty of cover once you know the map.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Pavlov's house also has some 200m firing ranges!

Bread?

I see there is quite a bit of activity here again after the latest big update.
    I have to apologise for letting the whole organisation stuff for this group slide so much, but I kind of lost interest for a while and focused more on work and other games.

If you want me to, however, I can schedule a game or two over the Steam group again, except I have no idea when and on which server.

The unofficial RPS Rising Storm group!

Welcome back Comrade!
    Would be much appreciated if there was a game arranged at some point. I admit I'm a mixture of too lazy arrange stuff and, now I'm back in full-time education I forget non-educational things rather easily.
    Which server to use is obviously kind of hard, since I guess Bodge is off doing important things like burning other people.

I talked to Wolfenswan and he says the Folk ARPS box is still running a RO2/RS server, so we could use that to play on.
    The time is much more difficult to decide on, especially since Uni starts for me again next week and I am not yet 100% certain when I will have time myself.

If you can suggest some times and once I know when I will have time, we can organise something for maybe next week or the week after that.

The unofficial RPS Rising Storm group!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Prolar Bear's Avatar
    I'm pretty much free all the time, even though I'd prefer the afternoon to the night.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I can play a game or two, but preferably in the weekend, weekdays im not so sure about.

Bread?

Network Hub
    I haven't played for a while mainly due to Arma commitments and new releases, hit me up on steam for some of this and if i am around I will come play.

Gah! Deadline week and I ignored this.
    I was going to ask if Friday was ok, but it is now Friday and quite late.

While I don't expect any games arranged (I'm too bad at that, and I have my hands full atm) the game has just got a rather big update. There are the usual new pile of maps (3 Rising Storm, 1 RO2:HoS) but also Search & Destroy game modes (which nobody plays) and the rather funkey new troop transports. The Arad2 map is a million times better with them in.

Now if they only added new tanks...

Network Hub
    Stuarts! Please make some stuarts!
    www.folkarps.com - The resident Arma community. Admin.
    BF4 Platoon admin
    Steam: Bodge
    Battlelog/Skype: Bodgemonkey

Live Free Play Hard

If you are a person randomly dropping in to see what this thread of stuff is, if you click on the link on (what I presume to be) the 23rd of April 2014 you can get the regular version of Red Orchestra 2 (sans Rising Storm) free. As in, if Tripwire live up to their word, totally free permanently.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/35450/ - free Red Orchestra thingy.

Source of this wordamijigs: http://steamcommunity.com/app/35450/discussions/0/540739405987014034/
    Admittedly you will only be getting half of the game, but some would argue its the stronger half being the Russian theater of war. Regardless, you get access to the new buggies that way at least. Also looks like a free weekend coming, so if you want to grind those levels without shooting bots, you will have lots of targets soon and can try the Rising Storm content.

EDIT: sounds like it'll be free from 6pm GMT
    Last edited by Scumbag; 23-04-2014 at 02:09 PM.