Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by PhatChance52 View Post
    As I've seen plenty of times in life in general, and sadly sometimes on this forum, 'asking nicely' is very subjective. I always think a couple of shifts in retail could cure some people of their bad interaction habits.
    The problem is the internet. Even with voice comms, it's hard to get the intent of the message because you can't see body language. Add that to not everyone speaking English natively (which means grammar and inflection from the native language can carry over into English or vice versa), and you have a recipe for misinterpreted communication.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Boris, I don't see why you're suggesting that I'm claiming I have knowledge of everything.

If the person who I'm talking about did indeed ask nicely before then I can understand getting frustrated, I still don't agree with the manner in which it was asked though, there's nicer ways of doing it than just turning on someone. If that person was not logged in and asking before me, then my point still stands.

Also, in case it's unclear, you are not the person I'm talking about.
    I'm not. However, I do want to make the facts clear because I think you might have formed a different picture because you didn't have some information. To be honest, this is a while ago now and I don't even remember who you're talking about.

@Cephas - I take it you've already seen the ESF training thread. If you want any extra tips outside of this, I'd be happy to offer advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    The problem is the internet. Even with voice comms, it's hard to get the intent of the message because you can't see body language. Add that to not everyone speaking English natively (which means grammar and inflection from the native language can carry over into English or vice versa), and you have a recipe for misinterpreted communication.
    Body language is important, but in the examples I've heard, it's more to do with the person needing to be told that a particular tone they take is not an accepted way to communicate with another human being in an arena like this one, which is focussed on inclusivity and a welcoming atmosphere. Which is the ethos of the shop I work in, hence the retail mention XD

Ok can a mod please move this discussion elsewhere ?

What is being discussed was barely on-topic before, but that whole "you don't have all the facts but i can't give names" push it in off-topic territory imho. Even if the fact are problematic, that's something that should be submitted to our HR department. Doing it in that semi-public way between people with half the facts and no way to act is clearly useless.

This discussion is shadowing important posts about mentoring.
    Last edited by Ksempac; 16-07-2013 at 09:57 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksempac View Post
    Ok can a mod please move this discussion elsewhere ?

What is being discussed was barely on-topic before, but that whole "you don't have all the facts but i can't give names" push it in off-topic territory imho. Even if the fact are problematic, that's something that should be submitted to our HR department. Doing it in that semi-public way between people with half the facts and no way to act is clearly useless.

This discussion is shadowing important posts about mentoring.
    While I agree that its swaying from being totally on topic now, I would say that it was a fairly adequate place to put the original post, simply because it is all of our jobs to teach new people that this kind of thing isnt really too great.

Also, I agree that if there is a further problem, the individual that has the issue (in any case) should ask the HR guys what to do, or post it into the HR thread perhaps.

I have to disagree about the discussion of the issue publicly being useless though, because it has clearly made the issue public knowledge and has allowed us to subsequently refer the issue holder to a place where they can resolve it more fully.

There is always a space for communication, and there are technically no strict rules governing where something is posted. Whether something is on topic or not can be subjective (I say can be, because swimming in a bath full of beans, for example, is not on topic at all haha).

The long and short of it is, like I have said already, and Ksempac has now said, if there is any further issue, report it to one of the HR chaps, otherwise, perhaps discuss it on their HR forum thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Originally, the "Reports from HR" thread was intended as just that, reports, not discussion, simply to keep it short and free from discussion/flaming/conjecture. I don't really know where this kind of discussion would have been best kept. I agree that the original post was on topic for the mentoring thread, but the ensuing discussion was not, really. Maybe the RPS outfit discussion thread would have worked better?

Bump

tenchar.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Agreed, this needs more awareness.

The best way to do that is in-game. Like I said in the other thread; if you are a regular PL and you find yourself leading (because you were the only one to break the "we need a new PL silence") then consider inviting someone else to be your tutee and mentor them into the position.

People often seem much more willing to give leading a try if they have someone on hand to talk them through it, so we should be trying to encourage this and uild our reserve numbers of leaders.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    Epic bump.

So some enterprising person on Reddit has started a mentorship subreddit http://www.reddit.com/r/ps2mentor/.

Inspired by that I think we should also try and promote stuff internally and extend beyond SL/PL mentoring.

In light of that, if anyone can offer some time for one on one piloting in the Scythe that would be really appreciated. If they also have information on battle gal-ing that would be good too.

In return, if I can offer advice to anyone else on a particular class or vehicle just ask and I'll find time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Cephas View Post
    Inspired by that I think we should also try and promote stuff internally and extend beyond SL/PL mentoring.

In light of that, if anyone can offer some time for one on one piloting in the Scythe that would be really appreciated. If they also have information on battle gal-ing that would be good too.
    Have you seen the update to the training thread I posted today? Don't know what level you're at but would be happy to show you some stuff I've picked up recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Boffinboots View Post
    Have you seen the update to the training thread I posted today? Don't know what level you're at but would be happy to show you some stuff I've picked up recently.
    I did indeed! I assumed you had most experience in the Reaver as opposed to Scythe though and I'd really like to get semi-competent with one before looking at the other.
    Once I get to the dogfighting portion I'll definitely give you a shout.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Cephas View Post
    I did indeed! I assumed you had most experience in the Reaver as opposed to Scythe though and I'd really like to get semi-competent with one before looking at the other.
    The basics are essentially the same (actually the mossie is nice to learn manoeuvres in) though the Scythe is actually a little harder because of the lack of engines to look at. But I have flown a scythe a bit, it's the ESF version of easy mode

Yeah, good initiative!

I'd certainly be up for mentoring anyone who feels like learning a few tricks with a well-certed Magrider. I pull the tank, you drive it, practice, i give some hints and answer questions, together we figure things out. Catch me whenever I'm online (and not leading anything), if you feel like a run!
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Activated Node
    i would certainly like some help with tanks, i never seem to be able to hold the right position i always get flanked or im just too far out to have a decent effect on the fight

Yeah, getting flanked is easy, especially since there are so many dedicated (stealthed) tank hunters out there.
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

So to be specific I can fly okay - I'd really like help with special manoeuvres and dogfighting. Even if I get the drop on people I tend to do a poor job of following and my general awareness goes to hell.

I'm fairly competent in magriding and max - I'm on Mumble a lot so if anyone is interested just ask.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm always up for mentoring scythe flying, dogfighting, stupid bombing runs, 1337 anti-galaxy tactics (i.e. lolpodding it), and general stupid flying due to overconfidence. I haven't had that much time for PS2 lately, so I'm a bit rusty when it comes to flying, but I should be able to mentor people at least.
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc