Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Thought I would add, that anybody interested in SL and RO roles can also actively watch how your squad lead acts on any given night.

Take away general good practice from it, and note on how they go about organising your squad movement.

Also, take a look at the outfit guide sections for best practice, because you will need to read through this eventually anyway if you intend on SL/RO or above.

Its a good start point, and will help mentors. The basics are simple, so the mentor can spend more time on the advanced sections.

Quote Originally Posted by cfftble View Post
    Can mentor SL, PL, TACGIR.

Also HA, Engineer and Scythe (to a certain level of competency).
    If that's all right with you, I'd like to sign up with yourself. Though we seem to favour the opposite classes

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Happy to do SL, RO, TacGir, probably shouldn't do PL as I only seem to do that at lower pop times when noone else wants it

Also can do: LA, Medic & MAX

I'd like some mentoring later in the summer I believe. I am going away on the 12th for at least a month, so it wouldn't make sense to start now in my opinion.
    PS2 Ingame: Agenious
    Mumble: Age

Obscure Node
    Id happily mentor people aswell id be comfortable mentoring for PL, RO, SL and TACGIR

I would like some PL mentoring after the weekend, will depend on when I can get online though, probably Tuesday or Wednesday. I can be reached via twitter (@mandrill) or email (webmandrill-at-gmail-dot-com) over the weekends but will be around for the CTA on Sunday. I'm thinking I could RO on Sunday and use that opportunity to pay attention to what the PL is doing (and make notes ;D)

Mandrill : do you want mentoring for casual platoon leading or StratGir PLing ? Casual platoon leading is easier, and a good first step imho

Oh just casual to begin with. Baby steps an all that What I'm really looking for is to get a handle on how to find the best fights and leave the actual tacticalising to the SLs. ;D

I can mentor for PL/SL/TACGIR/RO. I can also teach basic Sundie/Scythe driving.

If anyone would like me to mentor them, please send me a PM, as I may forget to check this thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I'm not sure if this should go in here or somewhere else, this seems like the most logical place to put it without starting another thread. But since I guess it kinda links to mentoring here goes.

Yesterday when I logged on (around 6 maybe) we had two full squads. Bravo was mostly filled with non-rps members. The PL was rather quiet and non-responsive on mumble. I can't say I recognize his name and I can't remember it either. Same goes for Bravo SL. The problem was sorted. Lots of people were talking on Mumble.

The PL wanted to send us to a Biolab and lots of people moaned and grumbled. The PL listened to them and moved the marker to where people had already decided they wanted to fight in (grey herring). Around this time, one person in particular decided on mumble to say, in a manner I would not say was particularly nice something along the lines of "PL, communicate more or give lead to someone who will". The same person gave this command two or possible three times more (I say command because it sounded like one) before the PL said he would give it to someone. At which point of course, everyone shuts up, including the guy who was telling him to give it up. The person eventually spoke up when others didn't, though I believe myself and someone else did around the same time and it went to the someone else first before being passed on to the person being vocal about wanting a new PL.

I'm not putting names here because I think everyone who was there will have an idea of it. This person who commanded PL be given up, I wouldn't say is normally like this and perhaps they didn't mean it as a command, but it sure sounded like one. It wasn't an offer of "I'll take PL if you're having trouble" or "do you need a hand". It was "you're not talking enough, give PL to someone else". And I know, PL's do need to talk, but that's not the way to get him to do it and it's not they way you should be talking to people.

The point I guess I'm trying to get at here is that instead of offering assistance to the PL, people
    A) went against his orders and did what they want because "but I dont want to fight in a biolab"
    and
    B) told him to stop PL'ing instead of asking was something the matter, did he need help, is he new, did the role of PL just fall to him and he didn't realize what it meant.

That guy might never offer or attempt to PL or SL again.

As a side note, not twenty minutes after people moaned about fighting in a biolab and not going there, we ended up in a biolab.
    Last edited by Jesus_Phish; 11-07-2013 at 10:42 AM.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

I'll chuck two cents in on this. I started playing at about 5pm, joining 25 odd mins from the end of a BioLab alert. Platoon marker was down, and we stayed in the BioLab getting kicked around a fair bit - there was only about a squad and a half of us at this point. Numbers built up as the evening carried on.

This is why people weren't too happy about going back in to a BioLab less than an hour later - we'd just come from one! I think most people don't really enjoy BioLab fights on the whole, especially not for hours on end. Instead we ended up playing some quite fun tank games, and then a push out from our warpgate to Grey Harbour. After this fight I had to call it a night.

I was one of the more vocal ones asking for Grey Harbour, but I was also trying to encourage the PL to make a decision and discuss it with the platoon - if they had absolutely wanted to hit the BioLab and said why, I think people would have listened. However, they were incredibly quiet (I heard them speak about three times?) the whole time, which was starting to cause problems with orders and keeping the platoon together. At several times I had to stop myself from back-seat PL'ing.

However, I do agree that the demand of "Speak up or hand over" was poorly handled by those involved, and came across as a bit aggressive and totally unsupportive.

Naturally I cannot fully comment because I wasnt there, but I would like to add that, while I see no problem with players asking the PL to co-operate more and be vocal (because PL/SL etc are very social roles), it sounds like the major issue here is how the player in question communicated their concerns.

Its not ok to demand a switch, even if you think the guy is doing an awful job, so keep that in mind. If you think the PL is too quiet, its one thing to say something, and another entirely to be forceful about it.

My advice would be: If you are going to PL and are new to the gig, please do one of the following:

- Make sure you are explanatory of your actions, and justify an order if people question it (to an extent, though of course you shouldnt explain every excruciating detail)

- Ask if there are any mentors, or actively apply for mentoring in the role of platoon leader if it is something you can see yourself doing more in the future. (this will take some of the pressure off, and allow you to watch and learn how its done)

I was there too. When you logged on, Phish, he (I know his name but I'll not say it here) had been asked repeatedly to speak up. Or even respond at all in some cases. It is no wonder the requests started to become more stringent after a while of someone treating platoon like being a beacon monkey, all the while not speaking up on mumble (and when he did he was very quiet -- up your volume please, if you're reading this). I'm not saying this is right, but I'm saying I understand.

Oh, and he was offered help (from multiple persons, including me), Phish, it just happened before you logged on.

While I fully agree that the PL needs to speak up and be heard and I do understand people getting annoyed at a PL that doesn't, I don't agree with the manner in which he was asked (or sounded more like told) to stop PLing.

And I'm fairly confident that the person who started being most vocal about it, logged on after me (or where possibly afk for the first few minutes I was playing).
    Last edited by Jesus_Phish; 12-07-2013 at 08:56 AM.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

He was asked nicely to speak up. He was asked nicely if he wanted to give PL to someone else. He was asked nicely if he needed help. All before you logged on.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    He was asked nicely to speak up. He was asked nicely if he wanted to give PL to someone else. He was asked nicely if he needed help. All before you logged on.
    As I've seen plenty of times in life in general, and sadly sometimes on this forum, 'asking nicely' is very subjective. I always think a couple of shifts in retail could cure some people of their bad interaction habits.

If this is the case, it might be worth a chat with both the PL and the guy who asked for a switch if you feel there is any further issue.

Its good that it was brought to peoples attention though, because as mentioned it can all be fairly subjective, and this might just help some people realise/try to be a little more gentle when asking for a switch.

Boris, I don't see why you're suggesting that I'm claiming I have knowledge of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish
    And I'm fairly confident that the person who started being most vocal about it, logged on after me (or where possibly afk for the first few minutes I was playing).
    If the person who I'm talking about did indeed ask nicely before then I can understand getting frustrated, I still don't agree with the manner in which it was asked though, there's nicer ways of doing it than just turning on someone. If that person was not logged in and asking before me, then my point still stands.

Also, in case it's unclear, you are not the person I'm talking about.

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    Any mentoring for piloting would be really useful. I find it terribly unintuitive so tips/tricks from someone experienced would go down a treat.

Ok, putting it there, so that the message comes across :

Theses past few weeks, I've been on the lookout for people who wants to try being Squad Leader. I'm willing and eager to mentor anyone who wants to be a TacGir Squad Leader. Contact me if that interests you. The outfit needs more SL, and especially more TacGir SL.
    Don't be shy, anyone can try to be a SL, my first time as SL was 2 weeks after I started playing, in StratGir mode and I had never been in a StratGir setup before. You don't need to know everything about the game, your squad will help you fill the gaps in your knowledge as needed.