Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar

[VS] "Outfit Introduction": What should it include & getting info in one place

Please see the meeting minutes for more details.

We need:
    1) To develop & write a ~10 minute "outfit introduction" that;
    a) Details the very basic rule "be excellent to one another".
    b) Covers "how we play" and different playstyles we have available, and what is expected from members with regards to organisation.
    c) That we encourage people to take initiative and organise things in the outfit.
    d) That a bunch of info is available (who to ask about questions, what different roles are, what events are planned etc.) are on the website, which should be checked regularly.
    e) That the forums too should also be checked by members & members encouraged to join discussion.
    f) Gives new members the time to ask questions (about the game & outfit) to long-term members.

2) To finish the oufit guide and get that info over to the website in a clear & accessible manner.

3) To decide how we retroactively apply this to recently joined members.

For discussion here:
    1) What, specifically, needs to be part of this "oufit introduction".

2) When do we run these introductions (suggestion: Wednesdays before the 8pm kick-off).

3) How we make sure people know about these things (suggestion: We tell them. Also, we make every "giraffe" a "new member" in the in-game ranks and "giraffe" is given as a rank when people pass introduction. This may mean some "mass baptisms" in the early stages, but this is a good thing: It promotes discussion about the outfit & how we do things, I think?)

4) How we ensure that people who cannot make the given day of introductions get it anyway (suggestion: We make it simple so any BL, beacon or long-term members can run through the intro and get people going).
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Intro:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    a) Details the very basic rule "be excellent to one another".
    Simple enough, and should perhaps be the first AND last thing said to the group/individuals.

b) Covers "how we play" and different playstyles we have available, and what is expected from members with regards to organisation.
    For this, we could do with a small list of the tried and tested play styles.
    Styles:
    - Big group comms as per usual days (unless somebody asks for a split)
    - Silly events large comms
    - Squad comms for strat days
    - TacGir
    - Small split comms (similar to tacgir, less strict, if a group doesnt want to be in the rabble)

We should mention that if a certain play style is suggested in game, that the players decide how to proceed, but that generally if there are no major objections, the suggestion will usually go ahead.

Next, some information on the procedure for switching comms and roles and organising into one of the set play styles.
    Information on:
    - Finding a PL if the current PL does not want to continue.
    - Gathering SL's, and then RO's and their channels (short description of these roles, and inform that there is more information on the site)
    - How to go about setting up comms/where to find that information.
    - If people are interested in SL role, explain how we go about checking that they are eligible and where more info is found.

c) That we encourage people to take initiative and organise things in the outfit.
    Explanation of some examples: TacGir setup, Training tuesdays, Guides, youtube/video, logo project, etc

How to go about organising events (on the site) and where to find out more info.

Short explanation on how we function as an outfit and how we were set up.

d) That a bunch of info is available (who to ask about questions, what different roles are, what events are planned etc.) are on the website, which should be checked regularly.

e) That the forums too should also be checked by members & members encouraged to join discussion.
    Potentially combine these with previous point, or transition to/from it.

Make a point to mention the forums and encourage people to use them, and point out the site for organisation and such.

f) Gives new members the time to ask questions (about the game & outfit) to long-term members.
    Naturaly would happen towards the end, or at key points throughout.

Other:
    3) To decide how we retroactively apply this to recently joined members.
    As stated, hold mass events for this. If we have several people willing to cover it, we can get this out of the way fairly sharpish.

Compile a list for each tutorial leader.
    Hold it in groups of 10-20.
    At the end, the platoon leader running it can promote each person in turn from the list, and check people out in turn if they have no more questions. Next group (if needed)...

On a side note, similar events would be good for making sure all of our squad leaders have comms set up.

2) When do we run these introductions (suggestion: Wednesdays before the 8pm kick-off).
    Within the hour or two before the wednesday event for the large groups of current members.
    The hour before can be open to this kind of thing on normal weds, where we may or may not have new members (after the mass has settled)

3) How we make sure people know about these things (suggestion: We tell them. Also, we make every "giraffe" a "new member" in the in-game ranks and "giraffe" is given as a rank when people pass introduction. This may mean some "mass baptisms" in the early stages, but this is a good thing: It promotes discussion about the outfit & how we do things, I think?)

4) How we ensure that people who cannot make the given day of introductions get it anyway (suggestion: We make it simple so any BL, beacon or long-term members can run through the intro and get people going).
    [/Quote]
    Exactly this. When a new member joins the chat and asks for outfit invite, we should give them this information..
    i.e. "We are setting you as new member, if you want to get set up and find out more, attend this session, or if you cannot make that day, ask a baloon leader to run through this with you" etc. Dont forget to briefly mention that we are based on "be excellent to each other".

On call to arms, the welcome channel can provide this information quickly, and let people jump into gameplay. At the end of the CTA, any remaining new members have this information repeated by the supreme/bl/.

Even if it was just a simplified list of the things ive said (and any other important info ive missed), this would be easily accessible for BLs. They can run through the list fairly comprehensively on mass days, and cover it fairly promptly if its only one person being taught.

This is a starting point, at least.

Not sure where to post this, but it seemed relevant here. Getting a video up here would be awesome, especially as it's only our competition from Miller who've submitted stuff yet.
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...w4eFk3ugnJcjAm

Quote Originally Posted by PhatChance52 View Post
    Not sure where to post this, but it seemed relevant here. Getting a video up here would be awesome, especially as it's only our competition from Miller who've submitted stuff yet.
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...w4eFk3ugnJcjAm
    We could certainly think about submitting something to it, though we do also have our own youtube channel to post outfit videos on. Might be a good idea to think about though.

Additionally, another option for outfit introduction is to produce a video guide for some of this stuff and put that on youtube.

Advantage: One guide for everybody that is identical and includes all information and thus limits the risk of somebody missing something out.

Disagantage: No guaruntee that people watch it or follow it, and would still need some way to make sure people have heard all of this information so that we could promote them in game.

Might still be a good idea, and it would further CMasters tutorial videos for call to arms.

It would be nice to have something produced that can be put up on the main channel, and that has our logo on the front.

Something along these lines (as a starting point)?

----
    Basics:
    - Be excellent to one another.
    - Be in mumble (at least your ears, if not your mic)
    - Follow your orders (redeploy when told to etc)

How we play:
    - Default play in a large group mumble channel, but may split comms if necessary/wanted
    - What split comms entails (moving to correct channels, PL<->RO comms, SL<->SLs comms)
    - Get keybinds in place ASAP
    - Stratgir: split squad channel comms for the main group each thurs
    - Tacgir: 'popup' squad(s) separate (but often still attached) to the main group aim for tactical cohesive play, uses split comms
    - Regular(ish)/Special events: Specific Training sessions (e.g. The facilities tour), Silly Mondays, Tactical testing & training, Call to Arms
    - If there's something specific you'd like to do/try - ask!

Organisation:
    - what girofficers/balloon leaders/supreme giraffe are
    - Taking initiative to start/try new things, volunteering etc strongly encouraged

Information:
    - Useful and latest info can be found at forum & site (strongly recommended to keep up with both)
    - Specifically: guides for equipment & certing, mumble keybind guide
    - Youtube channel
    - If you need help: ask on forums/in chat (we aren't too bitey) or check the list of relevant leaders if necessary
    - In the rare instance that someone has been less than excellent to others: we have a dedicated HR team
    - Mentoring for RO/SL/TACGIR SL/PL is available

Finally:
    - Seriously, be excellent to one another.

----

Probably needs tweaking and distilling down, but thought I'd give it a go.

The 'mass baptisms' sound fair, and the regular introduction + Balloon leads doing it as new people join makes sense too, to cover all the bases. As for letting everyone know about stuff, I was quite taken with Ksempac's intermittent 'public service announcements' in the in-game outfit chat. Seemed like a handy way to alert folk who may not usually alert the forum or site to something/thread they may not have known about. We could all be doing this here and there (nothing too spammy, of course) to call attention to important info or upcoming events etc?

I agree about the video Pauly: nice to have but we couldn't rely on it to serve as the intro. (Aside: I loved that the NC and TR videos in the liunk were oh so serious, and the Vanu one was all "Weeeeeeeee 'SPLOSIONS").

Cooper: I see that you have added an outfit intro page on wordpress.

1: is this intended to be for members to read, or for tutors to use during introduction nights?

2: in any case, it might be a good idea to make it a bulleted list, but with the same information condensed to save on characters.

If you want, I could go through this and condense it down, while retaining the key information so that tutors can instruct the new people using this as a guide?

Edit: I have added temporary sections for the different roles as a starting point, using the bullet point format. If you dont like these, feel free to edit/delete it, but I thought I would have a stab at it!

Also posted some ideas for the leadership segment.
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 02-06-2013 at 04:51 AM.

I've added a whole bunch of pages to the website that I'm gonna migrate the info from the guide over.

The outfit introduction page will be the page anyone who goes through this introduction will be directed to. It needs to be filled before Wednesday.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    BANG

I've written the introduction here:
    http://www.rockplanetshotgun.com/gui...-introduction/

It's longer than a simple bullet-point list, but covers everything we talked about in the meeting.

It's not too long. It will take ~10 minutes to talk people trhough it and then have time for some questions to be asked.

I think it's fine that we ask new members to spend 10 minutes being 'inducted' to the outfit. Especially as we are not making this induction an absolute requirement to play with us.

We'll see how it goes on Wednesday during the first introduction, our "mass baptism". I will lead this.

I should stress that the point of this is for new members to be introdcued to the outfit by a Girofficer or Balloon Leader.

We don't want people just ebing told to read that page. Not at all. The page should be treated as a 'script' for people to base their introductions on, if not necessarily to read word-for-word. Introdcutions should be personal and communual. I never want to see people being told to go read this page then being granted the rank of giraffe. We must keep this something people get talked through so they have a chance to chat & ask questions. I'm gonna keep banging on about this point to make sure it is understood and kept to.

We need to get better at welcoming people into the outfit and getting across what we are about. We don't do this by sending people to a (nicely formatted) wall of text.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

Awesome. I briefly went over it for a few typos I spotted, so it *should* be good now.. Unless I missed some myself .

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Read through the outfit introduction, and it seems about right, both length-wise and content-wise. Good job! Saw one "gide" that should probably have been a "guide", but otherwise it's all good as far as I'm concerned.

First trial tonight, then. I'll not be around to hear it because of this huge-ass dance event taking place here in my home town. A bit sad. would've been fun to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Read through the outfit introduction, and it seems about right, both length-wise and content-wise. Good job! Saw one "gide" that should probably have been a "guide", but otherwise it's all good as far as I'm concerned.

First trial tonight, then. I'll not be around to hear it because of this huge-ass dance event taking place here in my home town. A bit sad. would've been fun to hear it.
    Ah, the one that slipped through. Cheers for catching that haha.

One thing that I'd like to emphasize maybe, on the "being excellent" part is that it should extend to anyone, friend and adversary alike:

• We foster good community for the whole server; we may taunt our enemies in good humour, but we do not rile them up by name-calling or slurs. We treat others respectfully, regardless of faction, and regardless of whether they reciprocate. We ask forgiveness for mistakes we make that affect others.
    • We practice good sportsmanship; we call out unfair play if we see it, and compliment good play when faced with it. We thank allies for coming to our aid, and we try to help them in turn. We do not deliberately make use of exploits. Hackers have no place in the outfit and will be kicked on sight.
    • We do not condone team-killing; unless someone is actively trying to sabotage us, we talk first and shoot second. Use in-game reporting if needed.

At least I think so. Is there anything in here that people disagree with?

Also, I've had to tell people off once or twice for name-calling and such in /yell. I personally have pretty strong feelings about that kind of thing and do NOT want to be associated with it. We are better than the scum who get their boxers in a twist and get all shouty. If I see people doing it when I'm playing (even in response to provocation) I will let them feel my displeasure. It's a disgrace that reflects badly on all of us.

Esoteric: The NC sympathising scum!

I'm gonna take an axe to the intro today and really streamline it after Wednesday's experience.

I'll try to host another outfit introduction tonight then update it from that. From then on it can be released into the wild.

For starters I think we'll have it so any Balloon Leader can host an introduction, see how people find doing that for a while. If it's looking good we'll open introductions to be being irofficer.

I'm gonna create a page on the website that's a "guide to hosting an outfit induction". It'll be really short, don't worry.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

Was it a mess then?

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Was it a mess then?
    No, it just took too long. We wanted it to be a 10 minutes thing, ti took 25. Probably because there were a -lot- of people online and asking questions.

I did it again later that night with 2 people and managed to make it much quicker, but I really skimmed through bits and dropped some stuff. I boiled it down to the necessary and then a "go look at this in more detail if it interests you".

I'll edit the page to be about a 5 minute spiel and a goood record of places to go for more info.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

Sounds like a plan.

Sounded a lot faster on the run-through tonight

Could we add in the comms etiquette bit, as well as using the squad name + number, to also use compass directions and to differentiate between friendly/enemies? Simple stuff, but the better we all get at it, the more room there is for banter.

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sinomatic View Post
    Could we add in the comms etiquette bit, as well as using the squad name + number, to also use compass directions and to differentiate between friendly/enemies? Simple stuff, but the better we all get at it, the more room there is for banter.
    Agreed! This is something everyone could be better at and will definitely impact us positively.

I have made some final edits to the outfit introduction page:
    http://www.rockplanetshotgun.com/gui...-introduction/

If you are a BL or Girofficer please feel free to host your own "Outfit Inducations".

An outfit induction should take ~10 minutes and consist of the BL / Girofficer talking through the outfit introduction page. Post the link into Mumble and talk people through it.

It's not intended as a word-for-word script so feel free to have your own take on it.

I intend to add a "guide to running an outfit induction" page to the website soon. Suggestions of anything anyone would like to include on that after running their own inductions very welcome.

One thing I would add: If you do setup an outfit induction take a screenshot of who is in Mumble when you start and again when you finish and ONLY promote those people in both screenshots. If someone joins after it's started, tough. They can come to another. People joiing late has been common when I've run them.

Also: Encourage people to ask questions. Stop after each section and ask if people have understood / have any questions rather than turning it into one long spiel from one person (something I made the mistake of the first time ).
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG