Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

People Are Recently All Excited by New Nvidia GTX770/780

Which are both actually not new GPUs: we all know that GTX770 is a higher clocked version of GTX680, and GTX780 is a lower clocked version of Titan.

I am on a tighter budget, and more importantly, I am so disappointed by the game market in the last few years, essentially after spring 2010 that no new game motivate me to upgrade for. I rather wait for the upcoming substantial, generational upgrade.

So you mates can review on the new models?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Wait it out. If you're on a tight budget and you've been let down by the game market, why would you be in the market for spending money on a new graphics card that you might not get any use out of?
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I thought this was an advert post then I saw it was squirrel.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    So you mates can review on the new models?
    GTX 770 is a slightly better version of the GTX 680, and costs a bit less. So it's a better buy than the 680. It's not necessarily a better buy than AMD's 7970 though.

The GTX 780 is only worth it if you have a lot of money and demand extremely high performance.

Anyway, half a year from now, AMD should have a more substantial launch for us. And then Nvidia a little later with Maxwell, for their 800 series.

My 560ti holds very well still. Why upgrade when I can play new games like Bioshock Infinite with ultra settings (ok I can't activate the hair thing in Tomb Raider but still)? This market expands but doesn't grow.
    Steam

I got a second GTX 560 TI for 80 on ebay. With SLI I can now rock Metro : LL on Very High.
    Bargain upgrade.

Stay just behind the curve and your way better off.

Obscure Node
    Im building my first pc and don't really want to wait for AMD's new cards. I was very tempted to get a GTX 770 because its just a cheaper 680 and has beat 7970's in most tests but will this remain true with next Gen games seeing that they will be optimised for AMD hardware?

Quote Originally Posted by XBum_EyesX View Post
    Im building my first pc and don't really want to wait for AMD's new cards. I was very tempted to get a GTX 770 because its just a cheaper 680 and has beat 7970's in most tests but will this remain true with next Gen games seeing that they will be optimised for AMD hardware?
    Games won't be optimised for AMD hardware over Nvidia hardware.

Besides, the 7970 overclocks much more than the 770 and thus becomes a better deal either way.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    I'm still using a 460 GTX atm and frankly it's fine for my needs. Right now I think it's best to wait out on any hardware updates and see exactly how demanding the new consoles games are going to be (forget halfway houses like Watchdogs, but the real stuff like Titanfall etc), and the impact that has on PC hardware before committing.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

You should definitely give this review of the EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Superclocked ACX a read. It consistently managed to either equal or outperform the Titan in all areas with the exception of power draw. These are three direct quotes;

Bought a Titan in the last couple of weeks? You have our sympathies.
    We were so surprised by the Superclocked card's benchmark results that we began to triple-check in-game settings to make sure something hadn't moved down a notch or two. Nope, it's just that fast.
    There are bound to be certain titles in which Titan comes out on top. We just haven't found one yet.
    It's pricey though. 625.

That's just overclocking. You could have gotten the same or more performance on your own.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XBum_EyesX View Post
    I still can't play Cryostasis or Oddworld: Stranger because I bought an AMD card. The 6850 is no 7970, but in general I miss Nvidia's driver support.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I have no problems running Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD on my 7950. What does it do?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    I have no problems running Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD on my 7950. What does it do?
    I've launched the game twice. The first time, the framerate was so choppy that I couldn't play it. The second time, after the HD update, it chugged so hard at the main menu that I didn't even bother trying to load the game.