Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

PC controllers. What to get?

Hello guise. I'm looking to buy a controller for PC (so I can play Dark Souls and other stuff). What are your favorites? I don't really want to get an Xbox 360 pad 'cause I don't really see the point since buttons aren't customizable and I don't have an Xbox.
    Then again, that's the only one I know about. Searches on the interent are pretty confusing since all I found were apparent biased TOP TEN CONTROLLERS reviews.
    OH, I'd like it cheap too.

Thank you people.
    Don't hit me please :)
    Steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Honestly, I know it's not what you want to be told, but a Xbox 360 pad is probably the best one available.

The buttons will be customizable in game as long as the game supports that feature. Most games are already set up in mind of you using the pad and will show the buttons you have on the xbox pad. Like in Lego games it'll tell you RT, RB etc.

Steam Big Picture mode works really well with it too, I was amazed at how good the chat feature is when using a 360 pad.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Well, the 360 is pretty much the standard controller for PC. Most games with controller support seem to have it in mind. Other controllers probably work just as well, but the 360 is sort of the template. I have one and have had no problems with it, but if you're willing to put some effort into it, you might be able to compare the feel of different controllers at a store.

And don't worry, a controller is more or less standard equipment for PC gaming nowadays. I use it for a minority of my games, but some games benefit immensely from it.

EDIT: Mostly ninja'd, so I'll instead point out that you have the same avatar as Faldrath (right?). Carry on.

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by starmatt View Post
    I don't really want to get an Xbox 360 pad 'cause I don't really see the point since buttons aren't customizable and I don't have an Xbox.
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. If a game allows customized key mappings for controllers, you can sure do so with your 360 pad. That's very much game dependent.

The one downside of the 360 pad is IMO that DirectInput (what almost every game used in the pre-360 era) is only partially supported by MS's shoddy driver (that usually means no rumble feature and triggers use the same axis). But this is easily circumvented by a 3rd-party driver/wrapper called XBCD (it also allows complete customization of all buttons, axes and individual deadzones/thresholds and the like).

Oh, and the D-pad is crap on those. That aside, I'd still recommend a (wired) 360 pad. Decent build quality, ergonomic and 100 % compatible with all these console ports.

Obscure Node
    You'll be spotting the theme here but the Xbox 360 pad is the best option to go for.

Most widely supported and it just... works.

Have been using my pads for a while now and even have a Xbox 360 fightstick that works without any problems in SF IV AE and SF x Tekken.

Network Hub Capt. Eduardo del Mango's Avatar
    The 360 gamepad's great (if overpriced), but for some PC games that treat the analogue sticks as a straight x,y input they can cause problems - the limits of the analogue sticks' movement are circular not square, which means that you can't simultaneously apply full vertical and horizontal axis movements. I'm sure a majority of games deal with this, but it's something I noticed when trying to use my gamepad for space combat games. Most Logitech controllers have square limits for the analogue sticks, so I've got an F310 along with the 360 pad.

If that's not an issue then the 360 gamepad's my favourite, although mainly for the ergonomics (which is of course entirely personal), and the price does grate a bit.

Most games nowadays only support the 360 (i.e. they won't recognise your not-Xbox controller) and controller emulating software (360ce is what I'm using) is rare and not always working, so there are cases where you can't even play your game with the controller (unless you use a controller keybinding software like XPadder, which can be a fucking pain in the ass to setup and won't allow for analog movement). Because of this I advise you to get the 360 as well, not because it's a good controller, but because it will work. Also, wrong forum.

It's what I fear'd.
    Oh well, I thought there'd be some obscure Logitech or whatever controllers that would higly outshine the 360 ones. Thanks for the input though, I'll look into it :)

EDIT: Mostly ninja'd, so I'll instead point out that you have the same avatar as Faldrath (right?). Carry on.
    Yes indeed. I should change it, but I'm too far gone now.

Also, wrong forum.
    Sorry about that.
    Last edited by starmatt; 02-06-2013 at 11:55 AM.
    Steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    The point of an Xbox 360 pad is that while it's not the best controller around, it's one of the best quality:price ratios you'll find for controllers. It does have its disadvantages, though. The main disadvantage is that because it's XInput rather than DirectInput (it does have DirectInput compatibility, but it's shaky), almost any modern game will support it just fine, but it's harder to use for older games. The D-pad also isn't very good, but that only really matters if you're playing tournament fighting games. There is also a matter of personal taste: I know plenty of people who think the Xbox 360 controller is too large (though I think the PS3 controller is too small, so go figure).

I can't really say what the better options are, but I can say that if you really want something better than the Xbox 360 controller, you're going to be looking at spending substantially more money. Other controllers at the Xbox 360 price point are horrible.

Edit: I would say that my comment on price only really counts for the wired variant. The wireless type (which I have) is a lot more expensive and for that money there are other decent controllers out there, given that wireless isn't really such a big deal for PC gaming.
    Last edited by thegooseking; 02-06-2013 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Eduardo del Mango View Post
    The 360 gamepad's great (if overpriced), but for some PC games that treat the analogue sticks as a straight x,y input they can cause problems - the limits of the analogue sticks' movement are circular not square, which means that you can't simultaneously apply full vertical and horizontal axis movements.
    BTW, this is also something you can "fix" with XBCD. It allows you to set the analog stick (even individually) to "Full Range" which makes it behave exactly the way you described.

Another vote for X360.

I had a cheaper gamepad a few years ago. Tried to play dead space or red faction with it and it simply did not work. After investing in an X360 controller, it's just plug & play, it just works.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJellyfish View Post
    BTW, this is also something you can "fix" with XBCD. It allows you to set the analog stick (even individually) to "Full Range" which makes it behave exactly the way you described.
    But isn't it just a driver for older versions of windows? Does it work with XP/7 to play older games?
    Steam

Any opinions on the Logitech F310 gamepad? It's almost half the price of the official 360 pad. Are there any big drawbacks to it? (I mainly want it for Dark Souls)

But isn't it just a driver for older versions of windows? Does it work with XP/7 to play older games?
    Yeah, it's practically a driver (probably more a XInput->DirectInput wrapper) but it comes with a configuration utility that allows you to set up different profiles and customize almost every aspect. So, yes, proper DirectInput (read: older games) support for the 360 pad. It should work with every version of Windows (I had it running on Win XP 32-bit and Win 7 64-bit).

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJellyfish View Post
    Yeah, it's practically a driver (probably more a XInput->DirectInput wrapper) but it comes with a configuration utility that allows you to set up different profiles and customize almost every aspect. So, yes, proper DirectInput (read: older games) support for the 360 pad. It should work with every version of Windows (I had it running on Win XP 32-bit and Win 7 64-bit).
    That's pretty cool :) Do you recommend to use it instead of the normal drivers? Or does it work along with them? I guess I'll go read the FAQ, thanks a lot!
    Steam

That's pretty cool :) Do you recommend to use it instead of the normal drivers? Or does it work along with them? I guess I'll go read the FAQ, thanks a lot!
    If you're mostly playing recent games, you probably won't need it. And keep in mind that not every DirectInput game is equally problematic, so it could be that you're fine with the support the official driver offers.

I usually switch between both drivers for the rare cases I need it (which can be a bit of a PITA), but because XBCD comes with x360ce, I think you can even run it exclusively (what then happens is something like XInput->DirectInput->XInput, I believe, which seems a bit unnecessary).

Bear in mind, though, that the wireless version is currently not supported by XBCD.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I wonder if the new gamepad will be better or worse or largely the same. That could also affect your decision. As for me, I'm waiting to save up for something like the razer hydra. Either that or wait until someone develops drivers for the wii on Linux.
    Last edited by Internet; 02-06-2013 at 01:01 PM.

I'll be ok, I like wires.
    Thanks again everybody, I ordered the bastard. Let us hope.
    Steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzu View Post
    Most games nowadays only support the 360 (i.e. they won't recognise your not-Xbox controller)
    I'm not sure how true that is. It's certainly true that some modern games don't have DirectInput support, but I'm not sure if it's 'most' of them. (I only remember running into that problem in one game, before I switched to the Xbox 360 controller.)

I use an Xbox 360 pad. The wired one isn't that expensive.