Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    That revised controller has been around since 2010 and yet I've NEVER EVER seen one or used one.

I'm assuming that's a for a reason ;)

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    As you wrote that on a QWERTY keyboard, why the fuck didn't you type it and mail it to all of us
    lol, btw. This is terrific.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Unfortunately, it has to be the 360 pad. Personally, I would like it to be more viable to use one of the cheaper options, but the support for them just is not as good. At best, you get to play the game, but 360 buttons are displayed. At worst, games just won't detect your pad. There are normally solutions, but they are either very awkward (e.g Darksiders notorious pad issues,) or not really practical (recently tried to play the original Grid, where it let bind only some of the controls, meaning I had to keep going back to the keyboard to navigate menus and to use the rewind.)

Before the 360 pad became standard, developers seemed to have no problem detecting any gamepad an knowing the correct buttons assigned to actions, but this is a thing of the past. My best (layman's) guess is that this is due to the aforementioned change to input that the 360 pad uses and the requirement for supporting Microsoft's pad for the Games for Windows scheme. Developers likely became reluctant to bother with supporting Direct Input and just focused on one. I'm sure you can come up with some conspiracy as to why they don't bother.

I've held off getting a 360 pad myself, mainly because I don't like being forced to buy a more expensive product when the alternatives should work just as well. However, my old Logitech pad is starting to feel its age, so I will probably need to replace it soon. I will likely wait and see if Xbox One pads come to PC and go for one of them, unless they are exorbitant prices. Alternatively, I'm sure 360 pads will have a price drop.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandelay View Post
    Unfortunately, it has to be the 360 pad. Personally, I would like it to be more viable to use one of the cheaper options, but the support for them just is not as good. At best, you get to play the game, but 360 buttons are displayed. At worst, games just won't detect your pad. There are normally solutions, but they are either very awkward (e.g Darksiders notorious pad issues,) or not really practical (recently tried to play the original Grid, where it let bind only some of the controls, meaning I had to keep going back to the keyboard to navigate menus and to use the rewind.)
    I just want to correct something here: the latest Logitechs can present themselves as a straightforward 360 controller. All you do is flip a switch a bam! Xinput. You have to do it before the game checks for a controller, which sometimes requires a restart. Depends on the game.

It's not emulation, either. The controller simply has the built in capability to use Microsoft's Xinput protocol.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    I just want to correct something here: the latest Logitechs can present themselves as a straightforward 360 controller. All you do is flip a switch a bam! Xinput. You have to do it before the game checks for a controller, which sometimes requires a restart. Depends on the game.

It's not emulation, either. The controller simply has the built in capability to use Microsoft's Xinput protocol.
    Ah, good to know. My Logitech is ancient, so does not have that. Might look at one of those then.

Obscure Node
    Once again, the 360 pad is the best bang for your buck in terms of price/performance/ergonomics.
    Except its the worst, in that it is terribly overpriced ?

I just want to correct something here: the latest Logitechs can present themselves as a straightforward 360 controller.
    Dual input is the saving grace of Logitech. Their sticks have gigantic dead zones, and really, that is just no good.

I suggest taking a look at Thrustmaster GPX. Fully compatible with both Xbox and PC, uses official MS drivers, and its cheap.
    However, i really dont like the triggers on these 360 pads. What if i want to emulate God of War ? Where you are required to mash L2 button ? Cant do that with a trigger, can you ? Nope, have to remap the controls, and not forget that you remapped them next time you play a different game...who the fuck needs triggers ? What was wrong with a button ?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Triggers are better for racing/driving games to control your acceleration and braking as they give a better range than buttons. I know the buttons on most controllers are pressure sensitive anyway, but in driving games triggers are better than buttons.

Also, you can totally mash triggers.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    You could, if you really want a PlayStation controller, use a wired PS3 controller. There are Windows drivers for them, and I know there's a way to trick games into thinking it's a 360 controller, just not sure how it's done. But from what I've heard, it works very well.
    Unfortunately, PS3 controllers are about as expensive as 360 ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    Unfortunately, PS3 controllers are about as expensive as 360 ones.
    But you get Sixaxis thrown in there to play with if you're an adventurous hacker. :)
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

Quote Originally Posted by karry View Post
    Except its the worst, in that it is terribly overpriced ?

Dual input is the saving grace of Logitech. Their sticks have gigantic dead zones, and really, that is just no good.
    This is where my poor quality control comment comes in. I did some research when I encountered that problem on my F310. Loads of people were saying it's an inherent driver problem and can't be fixed. I didn't believe that because my Rumblepad worked fine on the same software. I would have believed it was a hardware defect in every F310 but a couple people were talking about it like a per-controller issue not a blanket manufacturing defect. So I exchanged the controller for a new F310 and, what do you know, the sticks worked fine.

Granted, poor quality control isn't a selling point either. But if you get a logitech with giant deadzones that seem not to work properly in a lot of games and don't respond to fiddling with the logitech software ... return it. There's something wrong with your controller. Based on my research, though ... don't be surprised if you buy an F*10 and have to exchange it for this reason.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 04-06-2013 at 07:52 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Just to check. Is there a good controller that uses the PS3-style layout? I am in the rare position of not actually being able to play most new games right now, so I figure I can use some of the cash I set aside for summer sales for a new gamepad if there is a quality controller (at least as good quality as a 360 pad) with the layout I prefer. And not having to spend an obscene amount of time figuring out what version of what software to use to get the actual PS3 controller working.

The F310 looks like one of those crappy super-cheap gamepads I tried in the late 90s/early 00s.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

The F310 is a decent gamepad. It doesn't feel incredible in the hand, and it seems cheap. It's just as good as the Rumblepad 2, though, and I really like it. If you want a little more weight, spring for the F510, which is the wired w/ vibration version or the F710 which is the wireless w/ vibration version.

I really like it. My reigning frustration is the slightly-too-resistant, slightly-oddly-placed-(for-my-hands-at-least) triggers. But it's held up for over a year of on-off use (just under half a year's worth of high-frequency use all together?), and works great. Logitech sticks slide over time, but if you disassemble the thing, lift the whole stick off the metal joystick-thing and put it back on ... that fixed the leaning issues I had with my Rumblepad 2 (after years of use, mind). The deadzone issues do not exist in my Rumblepad 2 or my replaced F310 after I returned the one with dead zone issues. Don't listen to reviewers who say it's a driver-side issue. Logitech's quality control isn't the best, and of course reviews on Amazon and such always have a tendency to emphasize uncommon but not exactly rare negative traits in projects--not a problem with the review culture, exactly, but worth remembering.

The PS3 controller, by most accounts, isn't as much of a chore to get working as you might think. Everything you need to know is over here. And it's one of the most well made controllers on the market next to the 360 controller--for obvious reasons. Logitech has that handy DirectInput/Xinput swtich, though, and X360CE is a handy little tool for making any DirectInputDevice a 360 controller, and you even get to make a custom profile for each game that stores right in the game's executable directory so you can customize the controls of games that wouldn't otherwise let you. Easy to use, no noticeable lag with either my Rumblepad 2 or my F310 in DirectInput mode.

I wish I could tell you there's a better option than the acceptable but underwhelming Logitech, but I had a lot of trouble finding a better PS3 layout controller that wasn't a PS3 controller. I think Logitech and official console fare is really the best out there for PC--sad as that might be.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 06-07-2013 at 09:20 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Yeah, I've looked at that motionjoy thing and it always seemed like a LOT more effort than it was worth.

I am leaning toward an F710. I am not huge on needing batteries (would rather charge by USB), but the wireless sounds nice, the triggers look solid, and I'll admit, Valve "endorsing" it in the Big Picture screens is enough for me to give it a shot. Just have to look for the best price (so newegg or amazon).
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    The PS3 controller, by most accounts, isn't as much of a chore to get working as you might think. Everything you need to know is over here.
    NOOOOO!
    MotionInJoy can go die in a fire. That driver configuration is a Internet Explorer frame that serves ads. Yup, always-online for drivers too.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Banned
    All I wanted to say is: when the time came I went to Media Markt, bought a 360 pad and simply connected it to a free USB slot. Then threw away the CD that came with it. It's been working flawlessly ever since.

Which is utterly meaningless to we who prefer to have the sticks right next to each other and the D-Pad up and to the left--such as Gundato, who revived this thread.

Banned
    I admit to not having read the thread and going by title alone. Does the stick position really make such a difference?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    I admit to not having read the thread and going by title alone. Does the stick position really make such a difference?
    For some people. It doesn't bother me much but similarly the shape of a mouse really matters to me. It's just personal preference. And why shouldn't you be comfortable while gaming?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJellyfish View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. If a game allows customized key mappings for controllers, you can sure do so with your 360 pad. That's very much game dependent.

The one downside of the 360 pad is IMO that DirectInput (what almost every game used in the pre-360 era) is only partially supported by MS's shoddy driver (that usually means no rumble feature and triggers use the same axis). But this is easily circumvented by a 3rd-party driver/wrapper called XBCD (it also allows complete customization of all buttons, axes and individual deadzones/thresholds and the like).

Oh, and the D-pad is crap on those. That aside, I'd still recommend a (wired) 360 pad. Decent build quality, ergonomic and 100 % compatible with all these console ports.
    The D-Pad has been fixed a long time ago, on the black controllers, it's the white ones you should ignore. Your gonna want a Xbox360 controller just for the sake of convenience. It's also much easier to emulate a XBox360 controller as a direct input device then vice versa. Almost all new games(2007+) only support XInput devices.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    The general rule is:
    Big hands = Xbox360 controller layout
    Smaller hands = PS3 controller layout