Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    If you all prefer 360 gamepad, then I wonder, why don't game on Xbox in the first place?

There are many made-in-china gamepads which cost you less than USD5 each, very good deals. What more you want for?

But Microsoft makes reliable PC peripherals, yet I don't think it is economic to always use the best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    There are many made-in-china gamepads which cost you less than USD5 each, very good deals. What more you want for?
    Proper driver and developer support that allows you to play the game properly instead of emulating keyboard input through a haphazardly built gamepad with shitty easy-to-break analog sticks and a lack of trigger buttons?

Might be a thing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Rauten covered the important parts but:

If you all prefer 360 gamepad, then I wonder, why don't game on Xbox in the first place?
    Am I reading this right? What has this got to do with anything? I didn't choose PC because of it having KB+M, although it is my preferred method of input. There's a whole range of reasons for gaming on PC. The fact that Xbox uses a controller hardly changes that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    As you wrote that on a QWERTY keyboard, why the fuck didn't you type it and mail it to all of us - yes, what you said is THAT stupid.

The 360 pad is the best PC gamepad BY FAR AND AWAY - it's not only a decent pad with all the buttons and triggers you'll ever need, it's also supported 'out of the box' by nearly everything.

Only downside with it is it's DPad, which is both badly located and shit. If you want to play (mostly older) games where a DPad is a must, then find something else - otherwise get a 360 pad...

Obscure Node
    360 does the job, but used to find the Logitech ones really nice for Pro Evo. Almost like a PS2/360 hybrid.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I miss the Sidewinders, great joysticks and controllers.

I tried the china Bluetooth PS3 drivers, which emulate a 360 controller. Either the drivers were real flaky or the bluetooth in my mobo was. I prefer the PS3 controller, but due reliability I got a 360 PC controller. Has worked great with Batman, XCom, Bastion, Braid and Space Marine.

A question!

Is here a way to connect an old PS2 controller to my PC?
    Is there a point in even trying?

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    I wonder if the new gamepad will be better or worse or largely the same. That could also affect your decision.
    Interesting point. I wonder how much that'll change the picture. Will MS even bother to release a PC version? Will future console ports support 'Ye Olde 360 Pad' (the new pad seems similar enough that you'd expect full downward compatibility)?

The introduction of XInput back then was a huge dick move in the first place. Can't imagine what MS will pull off this time ...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Avish View Post
    A question!

Yes - I have the doodah in a drawer somewhere, came from Play.com IIRC
    I don't really know - I used it for Guitar Hero controllers on that MEGAHARD PC guitar game EONS ago ;)

Editted to add:
    Just plugged it in, W7-64 recognises it as a joystick adaptor, put in a PS2 controller and I managed to setup Scoregasm (has a great joystick config too - hence why I chose it) to work with it aok

Well - as AOK as my old PS2 pad can ever be, it's been bounced-off one-too-many walls and the buttons are literally worn-away
    Last edited by trjp; 02-06-2013 at 03:34 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJellyfish View Post
    Interesting point. I wonder how much that'll change the picture. Will MS even bother to release a PC version?
    It's highly likely to be the same as the old pad in wiring (e.g. USB) and wireless terms - it's also likely to be super pricey, the 360 pad was £35+ originally...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    the 360 pad was £35+ originally...
    Heh. I bought mine (used, but in pristine condition) for just under £3.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Avish View Post
    A question!

Yes
    And no, don't bother.

I also grabbed the adaptor (albeit, for my PS1 controller). The analog sticks needed to be recalibrated very frequently and as far as controls, I found myself having to look up the PS1/PS2 manual to figure out what to map them as for ease of use.

Which is why I also recommend the 360 controller or, if you refuse to buy MS, whatever expensive third party gamepad you want that has the same layout.

Most gamepads have followed the same basic trends since the NES days, and the PS3 and 360 controllers are the current newest generation of those. So any game you play will map quite nicely to either, but the 360 has better drivers for the PC.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Such shameless avatar theft :(

(I kid, fellow Crimheads are always welcome)

Yeaaah, I would apologize, but it's just elephant talk.
    Steam

Once again, the 360 pad is the best bang for your buck in terms of price/performance/ergonomics. If you're looking to improve the d-pad take a look at this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBZVN...Hwcjg&index=33

I have tried one of Logitech's latest F series game pads and I personally found it to be very uncomfortable with overly stiff analog triggers. It may look like a Dual Shock but it feels nothing like it.

There is also the Razer Sabertooth, the successor to the Onza. The Sabertooth doesn't seem to have the horrid build quality problems of the Onza thus far, but at around $80USD a pop I'd wait and see if they really do hold up.
    Why yes, I am one of those quiet psychotic types.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    I've always used Logitech. The newest successor to the Rumblepad 2 (the F*10 series) has some issues, though. There's poor quality control relative to the logitech standard. You may well have to return your first one. Other than that, the triggers are a bit uncomfortable to use. I'd recommend the rumblepad 2, which is still available and wonderful, but it doesn't have real triggers--just two shoulder buttons on each side. If you don't need that extra axis, I'd recommend the Rumblepad 2. It's a great, cheap controller and before I got the F310 I just used an emulator (X360CE) to play XInput only games. The F*10 series has a handy feature that switches between Xinput and Direct-input so I guess that's another reason to go for the new ones.

I've never liked the 360 controller. It's awfully big, like it was made for people twice my size (not as bad as the original Xbox controller or the Nintendo 64) and I don't like the button action very much. The triggers aren't very comfortable for me, either. The only thing I like about it is the build quality. It's a solid beast, and you could drop it a fair ways without repercussions. Given how well loved it is in general, it's possible I have unusual hands, or just small hands.

If I were going to drop that much money on a controller, I'd spring for the Dualshock 3. The Dualshock controllers feature my preferred layout (Logitech uses the PS layout as well), have excellent triggers, wonderful button action, and good d-pads. I like the size and comfort a lot more than any other controllers I've tried, including Logitech's. You'd have to be willing to fuss with emulation, though, to get it working in most games. I've heard it works just fine, but I haven't tried it. I can vouch for X360CE making direct input devices like the Rumblepad 2 play nice wiht modern games, though.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 03-06-2013 at 11:23 AM.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

I was using my PS2 controller via a USB adapter for a while courtesy of the motioninjoy app/drivers. It was getting to the point where support was quite wonky in newer games though and configuration became a pain in the arse.
    I picked up a wired 360 pad a few weeks ago and it's working great "now".

Anyone in the same boat needs to look up how to uninstall the motioninjoy stuff as the two fight like rabid beavers, getting it out of the control panel is one thing but it won't remove the loaded dlls that hang around and cause the 360 pad to crash all the things.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant Consternation View Post
    Once again, the 360 pad is the best bang for your buck in terms of price/performance/ergonomics. If you're looking to improve the d-pad take a look at this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBZVN...Hwcjg&index=33
    That acutally looks awesome.
    Steam

Activated Node
    360 for sure. If you get the newer version (with the grey face buttons) the d-pad is much, much better (you can spin the d-pad which drops the rounded corners and gives you a simple + pad).

Quote Originally Posted by benexclaimed View Post
    360 for sure. If you get the newer version (with the grey face buttons) the d-pad is much, much better (you can spin the d-pad which drops the rounded corners and gives you a simple + pad).
    After some research, these ones are like 20-30 euros more expensive, not sure it's worth it.
    Steam