Thread: The Shopkeeper

The Shopkeeper

The Shopkeeper – An Interactive Short

A desperate man needs to find the right antique to impress a rich relative, but his choice will have dreadful consequences. The Shopkeeper is a point-and-click narrative game set in a space between the Twilight Zone, classic Lucasarts adventures, and Antiques Roadshow.

We're going to release on steam this month (or if shit happens, sometime early november), heres the steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/324610/

If you want to see the trailer not being bastardised by steam, go here:
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 16-10-2014 at 08:24 AM.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Looks nice. I like the style, its exactly the kind of style I used to draw in (before I lost any time what so ever for paper based art). That characteristic rough edge drawing is great for making something feel natural, like the furniture is hand crafted!

You told me about how its an interactive story, so am I correct in assuming that its a point and click style of move and interact, or is movement and animation controlled by dialogue, or some other means?

looking forward to seeing more. Is it to be publicly released free of charge, as an app, or what?

Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    Looks nice. I like the style, its exactly the kind of style I used to draw in (before I lost any time what so ever for paper based art). That characteristic rough edge drawing is great for making something feel natural, like the furniture is hand crafted!

You told me about how its an interactive story, so am I correct in assuming that its a point and click style of move and interact, or is movement and animation controlled by dialogue, or some other means?

looking forward to seeing more. Is it to be publicly released free of charge, as an app, or what?
    Cheers.

Its a point and click type thing, though definitely no inventory or any of those shenanigans.

It wont be for free.
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 16-10-2014 at 10:13 AM.
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Lots of interest at the Radius Festival, we are finally releasing this summer.

And ofcourse the website has been done for quite some time.

Www.versepublications.com

Last edited by QuantaCat; 06-07-2014 at 08:46 PM.
    - Tom De Roeck.

We're going to release on steam this month (or if shit happens, sometime early november), heres the steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/324610/

If you want to see the trailer not being bastardised by steam, go here:
    - Tom De Roeck.

Lesser Hivemind Node TWChristine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    It wont be for free, but itll only cost a euro.
    What is this Euro you speak of? We want to know the cost in Mapletender!

Also looking forward to this! I know one of the guys working on it!
    Last edited by TWChristine; 16-10-2014 at 10:09 AM.
    Steam: Am I Doing This Right?
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun

I shut down The Quanta Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by TWChristine View Post
    What is this Euro you speak of? We want to know the cost in Mapletender!

Also looking forward to this! I know one of the guys working on it!
    yeah, its wrong anyway. itll cost a couple more.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I thought at some other thread there was mention of you liking GOG so would have expected it to be there too?

Its not clear, but definitely not at launch.
    - Tom De Roeck.

What, no Shopkeeper Steam group, yet??
    "Bring me my purse."

please visit
    the Game Orphanage

Finding Good Homes For Unwanted Games Since January, 2014

soon my precious, soooonnnnnnnnnnn
    - Tom De Roeck.

Lesser Hivemind Node strange headache's Avatar
    Looks intriguing, I dig the art style. I feel like supporting this... Any word on the price tag yet?
    CÉTERVM CENSEÓ KOTAKVM ESSE DÉLÉNDAM.

3 USD I think its at right now.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Curious.. were achievements something you fashioned into the game from the beginning or something Steam suggested, along the way?
    Also, on that note, it's a shame there are no Steam trading cards, I bet they coulda been quite lovely.
    "Bring me my purse."

please visit
    the Game Orphanage

Finding Good Homes For Unwanted Games Since January, 2014

And the game is live. Fuck yeah.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Only 3 days left of the -10% sale on The Shopkeeper!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/324610/

save a whole 20c!!!111111!!!1111
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 29-10-2014 at 10:10 AM.
    - Tom De Roeck.

We've just updated The Shopkeeper to v1.1, which focuses mainly on the cursor; making it more obvious, fixing some oddness and adding a system for knowing if youve listened to something before or not.

Changelog:
    - Brightened the cursors so its slightly more obvious when you hover over something clickable as opposed to not
    - The eye cursor now comes in colours: Red is if youve heard something before, Green is if you havent. (Note: some items have variations on descriptions, these will be green even if youve heard one version already)
    - fixed the cursor from highlighting objects even though the options or notes menu was open.

I hope this ups the enjoyment, it's just Georg and me, so updates take a while.

Stuff to expect in a next version:
    - Some animations become skippable.
    - The game tracks the dialogue trees youve visited completely already, highlighting the choices you havent made yet.

Enjoy and happy holidays!

PS: In case you hadnt figured it out yet, clicking during dialogue (or monologue) skips that part.
    - Tom De Roeck.