Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar

wanted: 60FPS+ webcam for FaceTrackNoIR purposes.

Hi everybody.

Since I wanted to try out facetracking without actually having to buy the ludicriously expensive TrackIR, I need to get a camera with a decent framerate. Now I know 30FPS cameras are doable, there are apperently huge improvements when getting a 60FPS or even 120FPS camera (the latter case grants you the same specs as that TrackIR thingy - and if I can get one of those at a lower price... :D).

Anyone know of any good ones?

Hi,

As it happens I am also trying FaceTrackNoIR as an alternative to TrackIR (expensive) and freetrack (buggy, apparently abandoned).
    I recently purchased a PS3eye for that. You can download the driver here: http://codelaboratories.com/downloads/
    You also have to remove the IR filter. Here are the instructions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onhexk1Bg7k

I'm still fiddling with some settings, but it works quite well in Arma2.

You also need an old floppy disk or something similar to block visible light. If there is low ambient light it might work without the floppy filter, but the additional noise reduces accuracy.

edit: I'm running it with 60 fps. I think 120 fps are possible, but only with reduced resolution.
    Last edited by Ernesto; 05-06-2013 at 02:51 PM.

Why would I need to remove the IR filter if I plan on using the facetrack functions? I can understand why'd you would want it if you are using actual IR lights, but for facetracking it seems a tad excessive.

Thanks for the PS3 eye recommendation. It's quite cheap too, so I will check that one out :).

I assumed that you would use it with the PointTracker plugin ( http://ftnoirpt.sourceforge.net/ ) and IR LEDs. Compared to face tracking, point tracking should require quite a bit less CPU time.

Anyway... ignore what I said about filters then :)

Quote Originally Posted by Ernesto View Post
    I assumed that you would use it with the PointTracker plugin ( http://ftnoirpt.sourceforge.net/ ) and IR LEDs. Compared to face tracking, point tracking should require quite a bit less CPU time.

Anyway... ignore what I said about filters then :)
    Aah, okay :). Well, now that I know such a plugin exists, I might try it later if the facetracking does not suite my needs :).

Thanks a lot for your advice :D.

I have nothing to add to this thread other than to say: this democratization of head-tracking tech is as cool as the fact that Philippine tarsiers can communicate infrasonically.

I am now investigating FaceTrackNoIR.

By the way: for point tracking the forum on http://www.free-track.net/english/ is still a good source. Software and website are outdated, but the hardware remains the same (webcam + IR-LEDs).

Quote Originally Posted by Jambe View Post
    I have nothing to add to this thread other than to say: this democratization of head-tracking tech is as cool as the fact that Philippine tarsiers can communicate infrasonically.
    Surely you mean ultrasonically? Elephants on the other hand can do that via infrasound, I think :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    You also need an old floppy disk or something similar to block visible light. If there is low ambient light it might work without the floppy filter, but the additional noise reduces accuracy.
    When I was trying to get FreeTrack to work (almost did it, but the LEDs were too directional and I gave up) I simply used the red lens of a pair of red/blue anaglyph 3D glasses like these:

I just mounted them over the camera with elastic bands. It made the whole image dark except for the IR LEDs, that's even with bright sunshine reflecting off the wall behind me. Just thought I'd add that, not that it's particularly relevant or useful.

Surely you mean ultrasonically? Elephants on the other hand can do that via infrasound, I think :)
    You are correct! Elephants and many cetaceans! And probably many others...

I was reading about animal use of spectra that are undetectable to (unmodified) human senses. Lots of stuff goes on in IR/UV and infra/ultrasound, and many critters can acutely detect polarization, electrical and/or magnetic fields, current flows and water pressure, etc. Damn nature, you scary!

Obscure Node
    I'm a bit late to this party, but I'm going to give another vote for the PS3Eye. It also has a wider field of view than most webcams, which is useful.

For what it's worth though, I tried using FaceTrackNoIR yesterday, having seen a new version has come out, and I wasn't all that impressed. Maybe I just needed to spend longer fiddling with the settings, but it wasn't nearly as smooth or responsive as freetrack, which works great. I made myself a 3-led baseball cap, which cost about 10 and took an hour or so to put together. (Although to be fair, chiselling the IR filter out of the PS3Eye with a screwdriver took a good hour or so too...) Well worth the effort though, if you find FaceTrackNoIR disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by thenagus View Post
    Maybe I just needed to spend longer fiddling with the settings, but it wasn't nearly as smooth or responsive as freetrack, which works great.
    Fiddling with the input vs. output curves helped a lot. There is also a new filter (Accela) available in the new version (1.7?).

But I wouldn't recommend FreeTrack. It's pure luck if it runs at all, imho.