Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - No imported version for you!

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up that the game will be region-locked.
    People who have preordered the Collector's Edition or the Augmented Edition from Europe to get the bonus content unavailable in the US are officially screwed now.
    Good thing they told us so soon...
    I've seen this forum work miracles before, so I thought I might as well give it a shot and register.

Source: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=119397

Update:
    jaycw2309 stated the following in the official thread:

'Oh and yes the pc versions from UK will work in US and vice versa'

Source: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpos...&postcount=823

Update: Some moments ago, jaycw2309 posted the following in the official thread:

'Update - Australians will be fine too.. ie if you bought UK copies they will work in Australia etc..'

Source: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpos...&postcount=898

The UK version of the game will also work in any country that is a member of the EU.

Source: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpos...&postcount=776
    Last edited by The True Turrican; 18-08-2011 at 04:30 PM.

Oh fuck this bullshit. I've already paid for the game from a UK store on account of an inexplicable desire not to reamed on pricing and now this?

That's Rage and Deus Ex: HR gone from 'purchase' to 'pirate' in the last week on account of anti-consumer bullshit. Well done industry.
    Last edited by Rii; 16-08-2011 at 10:15 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Fuck me... I buy most games from the UK. I really hope this is not the start of a trend.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Fuck me... I buy most games from the UK. I really hope this is not the start of a trend.
    You bet it is...
    I've been importing from the UK for years and so have many of my buds. Just can't beat the prices over there... In my opinion, it was only a matter of time til publishers would start exploiting the region-lock system in order to maximize profit.
    Does anyone know whether using a VPN for activation is a violation of Steam's CoC/terms of use and whether it can result in an account ban? Not that I'd encourage people to do that.
    Why can't they just let us play the stuff we pay for?

Let's hope this is just a misunderstanding and not jump to the worst possible conclusions. I also think it would be illegal otherwise, selling products that the customers and not allowing them to use it.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Let's hope this is just a misunderstanding and not jump to the worst possible conclusions. I also think it would be illegal otherwise, selling products that the customers and not allowing them to use it.
    This has been posted by jaycw2309, an Eidos admin on the Eidos forums:

Quote:
    <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by Zazzerpan
    I bought the augmented edition from game.co.uk because I can't get both bonuses here in the states. Does this mean I can't play the UK version in North America? I would like to know quickly because they said they'd be charging my credit card soon.
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
    "The code shipping with the UK box copy will only activate in the UK.. There is US versions of the same product i thought.. Gamestop do it dont they?"

So no, no misunderstanding here, sadly. On a second note, the same admin stated that digital copies/cd key purchases of the game would not be region-locked.

Edit: And you're partly correct: It is a violation of the TFEU and therefore illegal to separate the UK region-lock from the rest of the EU countries, unless the content differs due to censorship (as seen in, ahem, Modern Warfare 2 which was cut in Germany but not in the UK). This would also be the first time this kind of censorship-unrelated separation happens. However, it is at least legitimate to prevent Americans or let's say Chinese from activating a European version in their respective home countries. I think the latter has happened with Fallout: New Vegas, for example.
    Last edited by The True Turrican; 17-08-2011 at 02:11 AM. Reason: spelling

Network Hub
    You should be ale to use a proxy to register the game and it should then stay on your account, I used one to activate my retail Fallout New Vegas as the disk came a day early for the UK release and I will be buggered if I have a disk in front of me and I can't use it. I don't know why they even bother trying.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Yeah, I buy some games from the UK too. I've also moved from one continent to another in my life, and may very well wind up moving again at some point.

Lots of bits of news lately that involve AAA developers/publishers who really, really don't want me to buy their games. I'm happy to comply, and go play other games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    And just as I was starting to warm to Square-Enix. One of the main reasons I prefer PC games is that I can buy them now, and still have them when I move to Canada, and not be denied playing a game that I bought just because I moved.

Score one for the PS3, I guess. Now, if only I had a PS3...

I live in Ireland, and pretty much order all my games from the UK. Does this mean I have to cancel my preorder? This is ridiculous.

P.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    THIS NEWS, I LIKE IT NOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    Oh fuck this bullshit. I've already paid for the game from a UK store on account of an inexplicable desire not to reamed on pricing and now this?
    I did the exact same thing here. I can't see any legitimate reason for this region-locking at all except protecting price differences between regions.

Also, does the same thing apply to consoles, or are they getting out of it?

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Also, does the same thing apply to consoles, or are they getting out of it?
    I've found evidence on several websites that region free versions exist for both PS3 and XBox. For example, see here (PS3): http://www.getprice.com.au/Deus-Ex-H...--45980464.htm
    and here (Xbox 360): http://www.cheapgames.com.au/deus-hu...ox-p-2983.html

There is 3 different PS3 versions which come with different language packs on the respective discs, though: http://support.eu.square-enix.com/fa...n&id=2134&la=2

According to that link, the Xbox versions only contain one language pack each, depending on which localized version you purchase.

According to a moderator on the Eidos forums, the Xbox versions are region-locked between Australia, Japan and the US: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=116272
    Last edited by The True Turrican; 17-08-2011 at 01:17 AM. Reason: was misinformed

Hold yer pitchforks and torches, folks.
    According to the moderator only boxed copies are region locked and there are three regions: UK, Russia and the rest of the world.
    (See also Turrican's post above)

It's probable that the locking doesn't concern you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Oh, it looks like I have nothing to worry about as long as I activate it before I move. Which, given that I intend to move in two years, seems likely.

Also looks like only the UK and Russian boxes are region-locked... So if you'd ordered it from anywhere other than the UK, you would have been fine. Which is small consolation if you've already ordered it :/

Quote Originally Posted by Revisor View Post
    A few people in this thread have said they've already ordered it from the UK. I'd say it concerns them.

Quote Originally Posted by The True Turrican View Post
    I've found evidence on several websites that region free versions exist for both PS3 and XBox.
    I can understand locking on the 360. PS3 is slightly more novel though...

The question most of them are asking though is why the hell it needed to happen in the first place.

Hold yer pitchforks and torches, folks.
    According to the moderator only boxed copies are region locked and there are three regions: UK, Russia and the rest of the world.
    (See also Turrican's post above)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kivan
    "I emailed square and this is how the regions and the various versions that are being released work together.

Languages - English
    Release Region - UK Only
    Steam Account Region - UK Only

Languages - English
    Release Region - Outside of UK
    Steam Account Region - EU, but NOT UK, Russia or Poland

Languages - FIGS*
    Release Region - Outside of UK
    Steam Account Region - EU, but NOT UK, Russia or Poland

Languages - RP**
    Release Region - Russia/Poland
    Steam Account Region - Russia/Poland Only

* French, Italian, German, Spanish
    ** Russian, Polish"

This applies to the PC releases. Taken from the summary in the Region Locked thread (very first link I posted) Makes it look like none of the EU versions would work in Asia or the US (notice how the non-UK, non-RU Steam account regions start with 'EU, but').

Also, jaycw2309, the Eidos admin said at some point that he is not 100% sure about any of the info he is providing and he is not a Squeenix representative, after all.

Lastly, people are starting to file complaints sent to the European Commission, adressing the region-lock within the EU. I am aware of the fact that the majority of RPS readers is American (or is that prejudice?) so I thought the initial news about the region-lock was mostly interesting for those who ordered a European version to get both bonuses (TE pack and EM pack) which, as far as I know, are an 'either/or' in the US and a 'both' in Europe.

I have sent Squeenix a mail, asking about details on the region-lock affecting US customers. The response will be posted here asap.
    Last edited by The True Turrican; 17-08-2011 at 01:37 AM. Reason: additional stuff

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    That's Rage and Deus Ex: HR gone from 'purchase' to 'pirate' in the last week on account of anti-consumer bullshit. Well done industry.
    I was about to do a rant but then saw that you're from Australia, guess it can't be helped then.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    I was about to do a rant but then saw that you're from Australia, guess it can't be helped then.
    *rolls eyes*

On topic: I'd love to hear the rationale behind this one. It's strange how this region lock is starting to creep into PC gaming, while on the PS3 it's largely unused in gaming (except for DLC). Still, it's on Steam, so who cares, right?

Can't you guys just use a VPN?: http://www.freeukvpn.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ezekiel2517 View Post
    Can't you guys just use a VPN?: http://www.freeukvpn.com/
    Hmm I've never looked into such things before. I guess I could do that if the store doesn't cancel/refund my pre-order of its own accord. Anyone have a link to a basic how-to guide?