Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    *rolls eyes*

On topic: I'd love to hear the rationale behind this one. It's strange how this region lock is starting to creep into PC gaming, while on the PS3 it's largely unused in gaming (except for DLC). Still, it's on Steam, so who cares, right?
    Rationale is quite easy to get behind...

I've bought Counter Strike: Source, The Orange Box and Left4Dead from amazon.co.uk and had it imported to Germany because I
    a) wanted the Uncut version and
    b) it is always cheaper abroad, for instance for Deus Ex: HR

It's 55€ locally: http://www.amazon.de/Deus-Ex-Human-R...dp/B004EQ40LQ/
    It's ú28 in the UK (that translates to 32€): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deus-Ex-Huma...dp/B004XH7HFC/

They are also cutting off "Grey Market" CD-Key Resellers by doing this, which are buying the games in Regions where they are cheap (Russia, Eastern Europe, Asia), scan or copy the CD-Key and send them per E-Mail e.g.: http://gamekeyfinder.de/games/Deus_E...evolution.html

Unfortunately it also has several side-effects:
    For one, if your country forces censoring on games you can't really get an uncensored version.
    For two, with their "Pre-Order Bonuses" for certain Retailers you can't really choose from where/which to get, there was a guy in that thread asking about it:
    I bought the augmented edition from game.co.uk because I can't get both bonuses here in the states. Does this mean I can't play the UK version in North America? I would like to know quickly because they said they'd be charging my credit card soon.
    And the response was:
    "The code shipping with the UK box copy will only activate in the UK.. There is US versions of the same product i thought.. Gamestop do it dont they?"
    For three, if that FAQ about languages is right and Polish/Russian people want to legally get a game with the English language (which I know I would prefer), they cannot.

Steam generally offers the Feature for Publishers to "Region Lock": http://www.steampowered.com/steamwor...ngservices.php

Territory control

Open up new markets. Games can be set to authenticate only in specific regions, allowing you to go day-and-date worldwide without the worry of grey marketing of products intended for specific territories.

Fortunately till now there haven't been many problems regarding that "feature", e.g. I remember back when Modern Warfare 2 was released there was a stink that Activision (being Activision) banned Asian keys after people had bought the game: http://www.destructoid.com/is-modern...--155532.phtml

And once more on "Blood Bowl": http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discu...controversy/p1

It's the first time as far as I know that a title comes out fully "Region Locked" like this.

Btw. a VPN won't help much, after the first few times you use your Steam Account to buy from a Region it gets "locked" to that Region so you can't circument their pricing e.g.
    http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=uk
    http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=us
    http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=de
    http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=ru
    http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=au

etc.
    Last edited by Dexter; 17-08-2011 at 05:09 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
    Rationale is quite easy to get behind...
    No, I fully understand the reasons why you'd want to import. I was doing the same thing myself, due to pricing; lots of online retailers targeted at the Australian market will use UK versions of the game and sell them to us usually at about 50% of the retail price from a local store.

What I was saying was I wonder what the publisher's rationale is for using region locking, apart from forcing people to purchase it at the local price.

For three, if that FAQ about languages is right and Polish/Russian people want to legally get a game with the English language (which I know I would prefer), they cannot.
    From reading the thread though it's my understanding that the PC version can run any language regardless of region, it's just that if the version of the game you have doesn't ship with that language, you have to download a content pack to add it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    Hmm I've never looked into such things before. I guess I could do that if the store doesn't cancel/refund my pre-order of its own accord. Anyone have a link to a basic how-to guide?
    The website itself should have one (the US one does).

Does the game need Steam? If not, what would be the problem with using a VPN?

ed: I would also suggest buying an unlimited VPN and laugh on Steam's face. Considering how much more you guys pay in euros, you'd probably save some money even with the price of a top VPN (I am not certain it would work so make sure).
    Last edited by ezekiel2517; 17-08-2011 at 05:14 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Who not just use free proxies?

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
    Btw. a VPN won't help much, after the first few times you use your Steam Account to buy from a Region it gets "locked" to that Region so you can't circument their pricing e.g.
    Heh, you can just make a new account, buy the game using vpn and gift it to your old account.
    Last edited by Shane; 17-08-2011 at 05:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Who not just use free proxies?
    If you're going to send things like payment information over a proxy, you'd want to be certain it was at least somewhat secure. I wouldn't trust free proxies for something like that.

Rii: A paid VPN setup would be the better route to take if you're looking to go that way but you'll probably have to gift the game to yourself. I remember with L4D2 the Steam store could be tricked into using different region pricing by simply changing the checkout URL but I think they ended up patching that after L4D2.

My choice of not pre-ordering Human Revolution seems to be getting more backed up as the time gets closer to the release. First Steamworks, and now this? Good game it may be, but I'll wait for it to hit some 10-15€ price range before picking it up. Region locking on this age and day is just bollocks, especially on PC. I'm just wondering what part Steam plays in this...

Comment from another board that made me laugh:

Doesnt preorder come with Automatic Unlocking Devices?

The irony. /rolleyes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaira- View Post
    My choice of not pre-ordering Human Revolution seems to be getting more backed up as the time gets closer to the release. First Steamworks, and now this? Good game it may be, but I'll wait for it to hit some 10-15€ price range before picking it up. Region locking on this age and day is just bollocks, especially on PC. I'm just wondering what part Steam plays in this...
    What, the game has Steamworks too, as in is required to be linked to a Steam account? FFS.

What, the game has Steamworks too, as in is required to be linked to a Steam account? FFS.
    At least Gamer's Gate declares that Human Revolution requires 3rd party client - usually meaning Steam.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaira- View Post
    At least Gamer's Gate declares that Human Revolution requires 3rd party client - usually meaning Steam.
    Google sez you're right. God I hate this industry so much. And I love the difference in reporting: "BF3 retail to require Origin - death to EA" vs. "[insert game here] retail to support Steam - yay!"

I don't generally pre-order games either; DX:HR got tossed in the cart on a whim alongside some console games* I was buying at the time. I won't make that mistake again.

* curiously free of region restrictions and account registration requirements.
    Last edited by Rii; 17-08-2011 at 07:22 AM.

Network Hub
    Green Man Gaming is selling Deus Ex at 35% off if you use one of these three codes SUNNY-SAVER-20PEC or 20PEC-FACEB-SAVER or 20SUM-MERSA-VINGS so it would be around 33$ for the standard edition.

Point is, according to staff "We have assurences from the publisher that all keys bought will not in fact be region locked in this specific instance. My colleague Rob will post a more in depth response as soon as we can" It's the 8th post down in this thread If you go to page two another staff member confirms what the first one said.

The Green Man Gaming link above is a referral link so if someone registers and then buys a game we will both get 5 of whatever currency you use.

Also for those of you in Germany. I'm not sure if Deus Ex: HR will be uncut from GMG, but Red Orchestra 2 is so there is a chance DX:HR will also be uncut. I'm not sure if they handle that on a case by case basis or if it's a blanket policy across the site.
    Last edited by Wengart; 17-08-2011 at 07:31 AM.

Network Hub
    I hope this doesn't mean we won't get the option to play with the foreign localizations. One of the things I love doing with Steam games is re-playing games with the French/German/Spanish/Italian/Russian voice tracks just for laughs. And since the Square Enix is putting in some effort to localize it in Japanese, that's going to be a wild new experience for me.

Network Hub
    I usually just play my games in English but for Metro 2033 I switched the localization to Russian with English subtitles. There's just something wrong about playing that game and hearing English.

From what I saw on the thread earlier, you can simply change the language setting in steam and it will go and download the language pack you've chosen. The language restriction is simply for the boxed, retail copies because they couldn't fit all the different options onto the disc (but you can still go and download the various language packs like anyone else).

As for the region locked activation lark - it doesn't affect me personally (playing/buying UK), but I think it's pretty damn vile marketing/publishing nonsense. Seems so counterintuitive to build up excitement and hype for an upcoming game and then to undercut it by shafting your customers with different versions and region locking.

I don't generally pre-order games either; DX:HR got tossed in the cart on a whim alongside some console games* I was buying at the time. I won't make that mistake again.
    At the risk of being shot for high treason, I've considered just getting it on PS3. I'll probably have to jump through hoops making a new PSN account to get any DLC (assuming any of it is going to be worth getting) but at least it'll just be "drop in disc, play game." Word on the webernets is that the game is fantastic and if so I definitely want the devs to get some money, but this messing around with the PC version seems too absurd for me to bother with.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    What I was saying was I wonder what the publisher's rationale is for using region locking, apart from forcing people to purchase it at the local price.
    You hit it right there. The rationale would have to be called 'greed' in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Wengart View Post
    Also for those of you in Germany. I'm not sure if Deus Ex: HR will be uncut from GMG, but Red Orchestra 2 is so there is a chance DX:HR will also be uncut. I'm not sure if they handle that on a case by case basis or if it's a blanket policy across the site.
    The German version is uncut indeed, as is any other localized version of the game. Just adds to the list of reasons for this region-lock to be nothing but a greedy move.
    However, as stated before, the digital copies/key purchases won't be affected by the region-lock at all, unless we're talking scanned codes from retail boxes...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I hope this doesn't mean we won't get the option to play with the foreign localizations.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinomatic View Post
    From what I saw on the thread earlier, you can simply change the language setting in steam and it will go and download the language pack you've chosen. The language restriction is simply for the boxed, retail copies because they couldn't fit all the different options onto the disc (but you can still go and download the various language packs like anyone else).
    sinomatic nailed it. Once activated, you can download any language pack via Steam. It just screws people without a DSL flatrate - those will have to pay for traffic caused by the Steam download(s) or at least waste x00MB of their 5GB-10GB traffic limit. I wanted the English version on DVD so I wouldn't have to pay extra money (which I happily do to post stuff on forums like this one, though).

The most relevant German gaming magazines got informed about the issue overnight. If the bad reputation that a spreading of the news will undoubtly lead to won't build enough pressure, a wave of complaints sent to the European commission surely will.
    If you feel affected, you can check your options to inform them here:
    http://ec.europa.eu/competition/cons...ntacts_en.html

The link also allows you to read the legal situation regarding the free trade agreements existing in the EU. There, it is pointed out that a restriction of competition like the one Square-Enix is trying to get away with is a clear violation of said agreement.
    Last edited by The True Turrican; 17-08-2011 at 11:03 AM. Reason: layout
    Why can't they just let us play the stuff we pay for?

This is going to be hell to sort out. Being in Ireland I am not in the UK and on Steam I am quoted Euro prices. However if I took the train to go up north I would promptly be in the UK. I'm presuming I'm affected but I'd be interested to see how they've accounted for the north.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The True Turrican View Post
    You hit it right there. The rationale would have to be called 'greed' in this case.
    The rationale for something isn't the same as the reason for something. The rationale is the explanation or justification they give, not the actual reason they have.

In any case, I don't really buy that reason. Why would boxed copies be region-locked but not digital copies if it was just about greed? And why only the UK? (I get why Russia is region-locked: it often is just because the Russian market is so different to other markets.)

One thing that's interesting is that this is a Steamworks game you can buy on Steam in the UK. Now, it's rumoured that GAME have been bullying Bethesda and THQ into not selling their Steamworks games on Steam in the UK. It's possible they tried the same thing with Square-Enix... I'm not sure how you get from that to region-locking, though. But it's an interesting angle, especially in light of the fact that it only affects retail copies and not digital copies.
    Last edited by thegooseking; 17-08-2011 at 11:11 AM.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    The rationale for something isn't the same as the reason for something. The rationale is the explanation or justification they give, not the actual reason they have.

In any case, I don't really buy that reason. Why would boxed copies be region-locked but not digital copies if it was just about greed? And why only the UK? (I get why Russia is region-locked: it often is just because the Russian market is so different to other markets.)
    Thanks for clarifying that. Not being a native speaker of the English language, I'm aways willing to learn. My bad, I should have used a more accurate dictionary.
    They haven't given any plausible explanation or any explanation at all for that matter, as far as I know. Can we agree on that fact indicating it is all happening merely out of greed?

As for digital copies, I'd assume that most collectors and diehard DX fans would rather have a physical product they can place in the vitrine. Maybe that is the audience they were expecting to be most likely to buy the game day 1. Obviously, if they had wanted to push preorder prices, they would have had to announce it way sooner.

DX:HR is the one single game I've been wanting to be good and now that it turned out to be just as good as, if not better than, everyone was hoping it would, they have to sh*t in their customers' faces. FML
    Last edited by The True Turrican; 17-08-2011 at 11:22 AM.

What?!?! What is this? You people are telling me that Life isn't Fair? Oy Oy Oy! I think I need a lie down after that revelation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    What?!?! What is this? You people are telling me that Life isn't Fair? Oy Oy Oy! I think I need a lie down after that revelation.
    Unfair actions and illegal actions have to be differentiated, no?