Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 113
  1. #41
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Unaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,898
    Quote Originally Posted by The True Turrican View Post
    Unfair actions and illegal actions have to be differentiated, no?
    Usually by a court. A proper court that is, not the Kangaroo court of Public Opinion and Internet comment threads. So go! Take this to the Highest Court in the land!

    While you're there, can you get Dutch drug policy and Czech beer prices in the UK please? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

  2. #42
    Network Hub gundrea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    137
    So if we're reporting this as a possible breach of competition law what's our evidence? A forum thread?

    Are there any official announcements from Square-Enix on this issue? Their e-mail to me was utterly unhelpful but said nothing that actually verifies the story. There needs to be evidence for there to have been a crime.

  3. #43
    Obscure Node The True Turrican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern Germany
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    While you're there, can you get Dutch drug policy and Czech beer prices in the UK please? Thanks.
    Apples and oranges, since those issues don't fall under the European Free Trade agreements. Nothing stops you from importing Czech beer.
    Dutch drug policy is more and more heading towards the UK's drug policy, so just be patient for a few years and you'll have equal rights.


    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    Usually by a court. A proper court that is, not the Kangaroo court of Public Opinion and Internet comment threads. So go! Take this to the Highest Court in the land!
    That won't do much, since the publisher in question is not located in my country. Fortunately, the customers do have means to stop free trade restrictions within the EU, though. And, believe it or not, people have indeed started to file formal complaints. I'll post the link once more, just for your reading convenience.

    http://ec.europa.eu/competition/cons...ntacts_en.html

    Sorry, but if you want the things you mentioned addressed, you will have to do it yourself. Good luck with that, Mr Troll!

    Quote Originally Posted by gundrea View Post
    So if we're reporting this as a possible breach of competition law what's our evidence? A forum thread?

    Are there any official announcements from Square-Enix on this issue? Their e-mail to me was utterly unhelpful but said nothing that actually verifies the story. There needs to be evidence for there to have been a crime.
    Yeah, that sounds reasonable. If nothing else, you can use the final product as evidence, once it has shipped. The news can be found on several news sites, one of which could contain an official statement as a source. I'm not a jurist, so I can't tell what it would take for the commission to take action, but you have the option to provide them with details on your suspicion, even if you don't file a formal complaint.
    Last edited by The True Turrican; 17-08-2011 at 12:15 PM.
    Why can't they just let us play the stuff we pay for?

  4. #44
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Unaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,898
    Quote Originally Posted by The True Turrican View Post
    Sorry, but if you want the things you mentioned addressed, you will have to do it yourself. Good luck with that, Mr Troll!
    That's not very nice now, is it? Do you really have to stoop so low as to call me names? Just because we have differing opinions on a matter doesn't mean you have to insult me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

  5. #45
    Obscure Node The True Turrican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern Germany
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    What?!?! What is this? You people are telling me that Life isn't Fair? Oy Oy Oy! I think I need a lie down after that revelation.
    I guess that was totally on topic then and simply reflected an opinion of yours. My apologies if you took offense, but I felt like pointing to a fact rather than calling names out of nowhere.
    Why can't they just let us play the stuff we pay for?

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,069
    I'm all for people who preorder games to be screwed by it.

    I am now going to point at the screen and laugh.

  7. #47
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Terra Australis Incognita
    Posts
    4,365
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    I'm all for people who preorder games to be screwed by it.

    I am now going to point at the screen and laugh.
    Don't do that, your screen's self-esteem will suffer.

    In all seriousness though, I don't see what this has to do with preorders as it affects any retail boxed copy. It's just a very odd decision and hopefully not a trend in the PC industry. If this was the 360 it'd be par for the course, but generally the PC prides itself on being a more open platform. Whether or not you agree with it, it's still an interesting development.

  8. #48
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Unaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,898
    Quote Originally Posted by The True Turrican View Post
    I guess that was totally on topic then and simply reflected an opinion of yours. My apologies if you took offense, but I felt like pointing to a fact rather than calling names out of nowhere.
    Yes. That was on topic, and reflected my opinion on this matter. Things in the World are not equal and fair. Different countries and different regions have different costs and prices for things.

    And I don't know how you can claim that you claim that you were "pointing to a fact rather than calling names out of nowhere", when you blatantly started calling names out of nowhere. I didn't resort to the despicable name calling you seem to find so easy, yet you insinuate that I did? I fear you have some cognitive dissonance going on Sir. Reread the last few comments, and tell me who has engaged in name calling... You'll find it has only been yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

  9. #49
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,621
    So finally those greedy publishers show their true color. We've been warned a million time that DRM is not, under any consideration, for fighting piracy, the battle they are going to lose anyway. We just play naive and try to fool ourselves that they come with good intention. Please, we know this all along.

    Seriously, will anyone buy import than download a "DRM removal tool (crack file is the true name)", and then claim that it is still less restrictive than console gaming? Come on, for the same logic you can mod your game console, too. I dont know about Britain, but not a single Playstation 1/2 sold here is not modded.

    Region coding has one purpose only: regional price discrimination. There's ABSOLUTELY NO WAY YOU GREEDY PUBLISHER CAN TALK YOUR WAY OUT OF THIS, JAPS!!
    Last edited by squirrel; 17-08-2011 at 12:39 PM.

  10. #50
    Obscure Node The True Turrican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern Germany
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    Yes. That was on topic, and reflected my opinion on this matter. Things in the World are not equal and fair. Different countries and different regions have different costs and prices for things.

    And I don't know how you can claim that you claim that you were "pointing to a fact rather than calling names out of nowhere", when you blatantly started calling names out of nowhere. I didn't resort to the despicable name calling you seem to find so easy, yet you insinuate that I did? I fear you have some cognitive dissonance going on Sir. Reread the last few comments, and tell me who has engaged in name calling... You'll find it has only been yourself.
    True enough. Cognitive dissonance it is then.
    Why can't they just let us play the stuff we pay for?

  11. #51
    Moderator Anthile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    People's Republic of Germany
    Posts
    2,297
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    In all seriousness though, I don't see what this has to do with preorders as it affects any retail boxed copy. It's just a very odd decision and hopefully not a trend in the PC industry. If this was the 360 it'd be par for the course, but generally the PC prides itself on being a more open platform. Whether or not you agree with it, it's still an interesting development.
    I always thought the regionlocking in ye olden days was because of the whole PAL/NTSC issue - so people wouldn't buy games they couldn't play anyway. No such thing for PCs.
    to wound the autumnal city.

  12. #52
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Aussieland
    Posts
    1,656
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    What?!?! What is this? You people are telling me that Life isn't Fair? Oy Oy Oy! I think I need a lie down after that revelation.
    It's fair in the sense that where Square was getting my money, now they won't be. Newton and so on.

    Which isn't to say that I'll not be playing the game.

  13. #53
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Unaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,898
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    It's fair in the sense that where Square was getting my money, now they won't be. Newton and so on.

    Which isn't to say that I'll not be playing the game.
    So, you're just going to steal the game? Piracy is your solution? That isn't a very good thing to do. Square Enix may have wronged you, but two wrongs don't make a right. You really don't help your position by resorting to reprehensible acts such as that. There's no excuse for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

  14. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,069
    There is a very good excuse for them. Though I'm not surprised someone who preorders videogames thinks otherwise.

  15. #55
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Terra Australis Incognita
    Posts
    4,365
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    I always thought the regionlocking in ye olden days was because of the whole PAL/NTSC issue - so people wouldn't buy games they couldn't play anyway. No such thing for PCs.
    So did I. But it's fairly obvious that it's simply to enforce region pricing these days. I mean does PAL/NTSC even matter any more in the digital age? Completely ignoring the PC of course, which didn't have these issues.

  16. #56
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Unaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,898
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    There is a very good excuse for them. Though I'm not surprised someone who preorders videogames thinks otherwise.
    I haven't pre-ordered. And why would pre-ordering a game blind me to the 'very good excuses' for theft?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

  17. #57
    Network Hub 8-bit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    I'm all for people who preorder games to be screwed by it.

    I am now going to point at the screen and laugh.
    what an outstanding contribution to the discussion you have made, some very insightful comments there, although I am surprised to see that you forgot to mention that life isn't fair so people should stfu. oh no, wait, someone already did that.

    anyway..

    I would think squeenix will want to avoid any more of a shitstorm than is already brewing, I wouldn't be surprised to see a release day patch to unlock the game and end this madness. well at least I hope they are aware enough of the situation to be getting something like that ready, I mean really, how stupid can they be? well obviously stupid enough to do this in the first place, but when the inevitable flood of emails come in I cant imagine they will stick with it. at least amazon have put up a warning about it now anyway.

    as a side question, is the free content only available for pre-orders or will it be included in copies after release too?

  18. #58
    Obscure Node The True Turrican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern Germany
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by 8-bit View Post
    as a side question, is the free content only available for pre-orders or will it be included in copies after release too?
    That is depending on region and the edition you purchase. For example the Augmented Edition in the UK will contain both the TE pack and the EM pack for the boxed retail version, no matter whether preordered or bought 4 weeks after release. The Limited Edition in Germany will have the EM pack and so on. It is stated on the respective boxes.
    Same should be true for the respective digital equivalents, but that also depends on the digital retailer, since some use keys that have been scanned from actual retail boxes, so the safest way would be to contact the site you wish to buy a key from before confirming the transaction.
    Why can't they just let us play the stuff we pay for?

  19. #59
    Activated Node Hirmetrium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    74
    Guys you really need to chill out. Yes, its bad, but it isn't hopeless.

    OK, so the free VPN - its quite simple from what I understand.

    You log into the VPN and get Steam to route through it first (Google for a guide - I've found one before to play BRINK early in the UK).

    Once your steam client is "in the UK", check the store and see if everything is in 's. Assuming it is, you just "Add a game..." on the library page and then enter the key that is with your retail box.

    The game is now officially linked to your Steam account. Log out of the VPN and undo the technical jiggery pokery you used to point it at the VPN, and then you should see the game on your steam games list when you log back in.

    Now, install using the CD. Viola - no more problems. The game is registered to your account and your installing the English language version of the game (assuming your steam client is set to that).

    The reason I think this works is in case you move from the UK to somewhere else in future - it stops your games from becoming useless. No need to purchase and gift or any bullshit like that (which you don't want to do on a VPN).

    I don't see why nobody hasn't suggested this yet. It will effectively circumvent the region lock, just like the guy from Ireland suggested earlier in the thread (except you don't have to get on a train).

    As for Square-Enix dodging the EU on this part, I hope they get torn apart for this. I understand the language on CD part, but that is no explanation for the region locking of keys. Its greedy and old-fashioned bullshit.

  20. #60
    Obscure Node The True Turrican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern Germany
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirmetrium View Post
    I don't see why nobody hasn't suggested this yet. It will effectively circumvent the region lock, just like the guy from Ireland suggested earlier in the thread (except you don't have to get on a train).
    Quote Originally Posted by The True Turrican View Post
    Does anyone know whether using a VPN for activation is a violation of Steam's CoC/terms of use and whether it can result in an account ban? Not that I'd encourage people to do that.
    It's on page 1 of this thread. I would not want to take illegal steps, however. If it's against Steam's terms of use, it wouldn't be any better than using a crack imo. I have been dodging Steam since its release, so I have no clue whether it would be a violation or not.
    Why can't they just let us play the stuff we pay for?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •