Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    That's basically all of the Dominions nations.
    Yeah, its more about what flavor you prefer. There are options like stealth, remote assassination and all that, but the rest of it is pretty universal (well betrayal is on you).

As for mods, nothing is set for now, but you may as well at least download CBM 1.94 as thats the most common one.

Hmmm... Well, I guess some research is in due order. I will see, I guess, after purchasing the game.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Nahru2 View Post
    Hmmm... Well, I guess some research is in due order. I will see, I guess, after purchasing the game.
    If you're into technology, you'd probably like playing Late Age Man. They get a large variety of clockwork machines. Otherwise, any nation can get access to machines by researching construction magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Eschatos View Post
    If you're into technology, you'd probably like playing Late Age Man. They get a large variety of clockwork machines. Otherwise, any nation can get access to machines by researching construction magic.
    Thanks, although I realized it will be best if I figure this myself.

Anyway, one thing which has bothered me is a recommendation to have 300 pages manual printed and used in that "form". There are, to me, many inconveniences to such a recommendation, like having to find a space on my desk to put it, turning pages slowly to find what I need (or turning pages at all for that matter...), and sacrificing some tree (or part of it) for my pleasure. So, I remembered that at one point while playing The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion, I came across a program that allows me to play that game in a fake-fullscreen mode (a windowed mode, but without borders and in a full screen), which enabled easy alt-tabbing between the game and other programs/desktop. So in case someone does not know of such a possibility, here is the link to that program called Game Companion:

http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/39550/?

Perhaps it will not be everyone's cup of tea, but mine certainly is.

EDIT: Since the download is small, you do not need to register or anything on the Nexus.
    Last edited by Nahru; 17-06-2013 at 09:26 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    You'll be fine playing Dominions in a window. PDF manual is much easier than a physical one because you can search for what you want, don't bother printing it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I found the manual useless. Here is my holy book.
    http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Main_Page
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    I'll pick EA Agratha, but I have no problem picking another one if someone else wants them.

Also, I updated the first post, if I missed someone let me know. And yes, we are using CBM 1.94. I would like to recomment http://dom3-mod-inspector.googlecode...?mod=CB1.94.dm as a very usefull database.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I found the manual useless. Here is my holy book.
    http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Main_Page
    I am entranced by and terrified of this game at the same time...

Okay I am going to have to buy this and join in, I only hope my inexperienced nation's defeat will be somewhat noteworthy. Sign me up!

Welcome, and don't worry to much. With the amount of people it is most likely that other people will "defend" you in the early game against early agressors. No one wants to give one of their neighbours to much room to expand otherwise they can grow out of control. Playing the under dog is something a great position to have.

In other news, halfway there. Only 12 more people to go.

Allright, if we don't make the 12 people we will find another map to play on. With the extended list of good maps it should not be to hard to find one suitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    I am entranced by and terrified of this game at the same time...

Okay I am going to have to buy this and join in, I only hope my inexperienced nation's defeat will be somewhat noteworthy. Sign me up!
    Same here...

Oh well, I have bought the game, sign me up as well!

As I'm sure someone already said, if you are new one of the best things you can do is read this LP.

Then get your opening plans down, how are you expanding, what are you recruiting, what do you need to do to take down harder provinces etc.

Quote Originally Posted by lasikbear View Post
    As I'm sure someone already said, if you are new one of the best things you can do is read this LP.

Then get your opening plans down, how are you expanding, what are you recruiting, what do you need to do to take down harder provinces etc.
    I will see to it as well. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lasikbear View Post
    There's also an LP older by matryx which is pretty neat, it's one of the three Zorba links to in that OP. Zorba does a better job playing but his game is a bit sameish where matryx has the advantage of having a couple of different perspectives. Both do a pretty good job of chronicling the newbie experience. There have been a bunch of other pretty good attempts at Dom3 on SA over the years but they tend to inevitably die to overcomplication 40 or so turns in and they were never put on the archive so no reading for non-goons.

Yeah, if the paywall is down the multi-perspective one is great for offering a larger variety of opinions as well as a lot of "this is what I did wrong" kinds of things.

Obscure Node
    Hi can you add my choice to the front page please MA Ermor (Exactly the same as I'm playing in my first game but I'm starting to understand what I should be doing now!)cheers

Network Hub
    Could you also alter the front page to mark me down as MA r'lyeh please.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominicus View Post
    Also, I updated the first post, if I missed someone let me know.
    You missed me. Put me down for MA Arcoscephale.

A warning if we do end up using Faerun. The map creator has warned that using LA Ermor or LA R'lyeh will break the game, as their massive freespawn will cause the game to hit the total unit limit.

updated and added the nations. I also say that we ban LA ermor and LA r'lyeh then from the fearun map if we play that one. I don't think anyone will object to much to that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    I'm downloading Dominions 3 as we speak and have never played it before. Is this something I want to join?