Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Obscure Node
    I'd certainly be interested. Just started my 2nd game and got knocked out in a dozen turns so can only get better. Would prefer mid age Ermor but not dogmatic.
    Last edited by mkivcs; 07-06-2013 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by riadsala View Post
    Won't that really screw with the balance?
    Not as much as you might think. I've played an all nations of all eras game on a slightly smaller map to some sort of completion and the two major nations left standing at the end (they understandably didn't have the stamina to slog out a 500 province endgame and so killed the rest of us and then declared friendship forever) were MA Vanheim and EA Sauromatia. Not that either is weak or anything and they certainly win games under normal circumstances but they're hardly at the very top of the heap. With 60 players in the game the strength of your nation -- which already varies wildly within eras -- is just of middling importance compared to factors like your start position and prior experience with playing Diplomacy.

Fair warning from that experience: Dom3 with 500 provinces honestly isn't that enjoyable for most players once the initial smashing and grabbing is over, especially when the map is as sparse as is planned here. Managing 50 provinces in endgame takes 2-4 hours per turn, which is a state a lot of people reach on this sort of gigantic map and winning nations might end up 4 times that size. Several players can expect to have 20+ forts and fully completed research, and several other players can also expect to end up an insignificant runt state at the arse end of nowhere that doesn't get invaded because their single, much larger neighbor is busy fighting with some annoying bastard viking gods on ponies or something. Around half the participants will stop playing and either go AI or permanently stale while whoever played them does fun and enjoyable things instead. If you go with 30 provinces/head then the vast majority of the fighting will be against neutrals and AIs and whoever gets most of them nearby tends to win.

That said, it's just a video game. If you really want to try the megagame experience then by all means go for it. I'd definitely suggest keeping to maybe 10 provinces/player (or less, if more than an era's worth of players) to make sure that players get to fight actual players and keep the workload closer to the neighborhood of sanity throughout, and to not have any huge expectations on player retention in any case. Also, never play on Oeridia.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    We just need to find some good victory conditions. We will take your arguments into account, but really I just want to play on this map for once.

edit: I'll take a closer look at your post in the morning, very tired now :P

Xerophyte imma let you finish, but faerun is the worst map of all time, of all time!

I don't mind if it drags on. I concider it will end the same way I always see TWI games end. (TWI = large boardgame, can contineu for 12+hours). The people agree to one or several winners.

Other options would be that in the end a group of 4-5 pretenders win as a Patheon of Gods. During the game if you and another agree to join then this would be permanent. So choosing early might secure you more support, you never know if your "ally" will become as strong as you hope he will become.

There are several options. I like the look of the map and I don't think it's a map that is that bad. Might I ask why it is the "worst" map of all time? Besides don't do it with such a large map, as that is not really map specific.

Just that it requires absurd amounts of time later on, I meant "worst" in an endearing way.

So the map in itself has no problems. Thats all I needed to know honestly. I was afraid it had bugs or something.

But we need to find a few more people. If after some time we can't find the numbers then we will look at another map or other solutions. I like the idea of mixed nations as I think it will balance out over time. So if you know people who like to play dom 3 and are up for a good game then point them to here and get them to sign up.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I'm suffering from cognitive shock after trying to think of a good side. Instead I will simply find one I think will provide lulz.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Really don't think we'll find 24.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Caelum LA is my pick, well see how bad of an idea that was later.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Caelum are a difficult race, not sure if that changes in later eras.

Network Hub
    I'm in. I would really prefer to stick to one age though, this game is complex enough at 23/24 nations available. Also I hope you realize that this game will take aaaaaaaaages to finish. I'm thinking Arcoscephale for my nation. I assume we'd still be using CBM?

Activated Node
    I'd like to sign up as well. And since I see someone beat me to MA Rl'yeh, I'll take me some MA Atlantis (unless we go all eras, then i'll take LA Rl'yeh). This will be my first DOM3 online match. This can only end in tears.
    Last edited by Firkragg; 15-06-2013 at 09:37 AM.
    “I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    "CATS", he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.”

I'll go LA Ctis unless we get the full 20+ then MA Mictlan (if anyone wants them feel free to steal them from me).

Firkragg, just a fair warning LA Ryleh on a huge map is going to be a micro managing nightmare, absolutely go for it just be prepared to have to manage all that freespawn over 40+provinces. On the one hand you have a huge freespawn army but on the other hand you have to manage said huge freespawn army.

Activated Node
    im in - EA Hinnom for me

Activated Node
    Thanks for the advice lasikbear, think i'll go MA Atlantis then, just because I like raiding coasts.
    “I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    "CATS", he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.”

Network Hub
    I think I'll claim MA Bandar Log now before it gets taken.

I'll claim MA Pythium.

So, where to start? Lets see...

I intend to purchase Dominions 3, but so far I have downloaded only the demo and I need to check it first, as well as that beautiful manual with 300 pages...

That said, I believe that I will be able to devote sufficient amount of time for playing because... I have been in a state of not-interested-in-almost-any-game for several months now, ever since that disappointing Skyrim play-through.

So, I would like a friendly (or "friendly", heh) advice about the possible choice of civilization, considering my lack of any experience whatsoever. To make things simpler, here is what I like in a 4X game:
    - I like magic, if it is a fantasy game,
    - I love betrayal, so diplomacy is important,
    - I like technology, so a civilization with strong research capabilities is of interest to me
    - I love betra... oh that one is covered
    - I like to rule as an authoritarian, so a civilization with as little rioting possible is preferred.

Could someone assist me, provided that the civilization already taken is not suggested? Also, any input as to what mods will I require, and how to optimally setup a game for multiplayer is appreciated. Thanks.

That's basically all of the Dominions nations.