Page 5 of 56 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prester John View Post
    I'll give it a go.... EA Neifelheim for stompy giant fun
    They are fun, enjoyed them in Blackwald.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    A little off topic, but I can't resist: http://www.illwinter.com/dom4/index.html.

Going to stay LA Ctis, the tomb chariots they call to me.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by CKScientist View Post
    I think 24 players would be excessive and turn out to be a bit of a clusterfuck. Still, I'll join as LA Jomon.

I changed my mind - make it EA Yomi. They have more boom units which is easier.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    After looking at MA Vanheim I'm a bit torn. What do you guys recon is more adequate for the scale of the game we're about to play: Access to 2As mages (using communion for my higher astral needs) and more versatile pure mages (2A +AEDB +EDNB) OR a better high-end mage thug, sweet crafters, valkyries (flying raiders etc) and supply factories?

Astral mages might be a nice SC deterrent (Horror etc.) but they are not the primary mages and I'll potentially lack them in numbers when I need them the most. Still, a good option. Galderman were a lot of fun in the SP games I tried them but apart from giving me nature access they don't do anything Vanadrotts can't do and the Drotts lead armies and are ace-thugs, not to mention stealth and glamour. In a testgame I found dwarvens to be fantastic support mages besides their obvious role as item factory.

choices, choices

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    updated.

Believe it or not, but we are getting very close to 24 players.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    After looking at MA Vanheim I'm a bit torn. What do you guys recon is more adequate for the scale of the game we're about to play: Access to 2As mages (using communion for my higher astral needs) and more versatile pure mages (2A +AEDB +EDNB) OR a better high-end mage thug, sweet crafters, valkyries (flying raiders etc) and supply factories? Astral mages might be a nice SC deterrent (Horror etc.) but they are not the primary mages and I'll potentially lack them in numbers when I need them the most. Still, a good option. Galderman were a lot of fun in the SP games I tried them but apart from giving me nature access they don't do anything Vanadrotts can't do and the Drotts lead armies and are ace-thugs, not to mention stealth and glamour. In a testgame I found dwarvens to be fantastic support mages besides their obvious role as item factory. choices, choices
    Vanheim have access to the highest levels of air magic, while Midgard only gets generic lightning bolts.

Vanheim can start a blood economy (reasonable chance of non-capital B2 casters) while Midgard can't.

Midgard can get to D2 (from which they boost into high levels of death) while Vanheim only gets D1, which isn't very useful.

Dwarven Smiths are great, you can give cheap thugs 3 items for 9 gems instead of 2 for 10. However, Midgard have easier access to communions/sabbaths, and have more paths to bring to a sabbath. Try making a bunch of Vanjarl slaves with a few Vanjarl/Galderman/Volva masters, then have the masters cast self buffs while the Vanjarls attack. It is the best.

By my estimation, Vanheim have easier access to simple raiding thugs, have access to the really cool A6 spells, and can easily start a blood economy. Midgard have more diversity and can make awesome reverse communions, but lack a nice recruitable raider or the ability to make cheap items. Vanheim are probably the easier side to play - a nice milestone to aim for is Storm + Storm Power + Orb Lightning/Thunderstrike. Then later on, you can blood hunt in a big way.
    Last edited by CKScientist; 20-06-2013 at 10:26 AM.

Activated Node
    Can I change my nation choice to EA Pangaea? Yomi are kind of weird, and I don't want to play another death nation.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    You could, as long as we didn't start you can change your nation. But I wish to make not of the following from the FAQ. Most likely it will not be a huge problem, but it could turn up with EA Pangaea. It is just something to keep in mind.

Q: I can't recruit any more units, they just don't appear and the same happens with summons. What's wrong?
    This behavior looks like a bug, but it is not. If you have unrest 100 or more in a province, recruitment is impossible there. If you only have problems in one province, this is the likely cause. Dominions 3 also has a built-in limit for maximum number of units simultaneously in the game. If your recruited and summoned units are not appearing, you have reached that limit and no new units can appear until enough units die off first.

Q: How high is the unit limit?
    9k commanders and 140k units in the game simultaneously. Once these limits are reached, no new units can appear until some die off.

Q: What causes this problem to appear since I only get it in some games?
    The problem most often happens in Late Era games where R'lyeh Dreamlands and/or Ashen Empire Ermor are present, since both of these nations generate massive numbers of freespawn units. Avoid including them in games on large maps and you will not likely experience this problem. It can potentially appear in large Early Era and Middle Era games involving Pangaea whose Pan units generate Maenad freespawn units, but this is a rather unlikely occurrence. A more likely reason would be the AI recruiting massive amounts of chaff units everywhere.

Activated Node
    I don't think it'll be an issue. Maenids don't seem to generate very fast, and I wasn't planning to do Death magic this time (death magic is boring) so there wont be Carrion Woods freespawn.

Quote Originally Posted by CKScientist View Post
    Vanheim have access to the highest levels of air magic, while Midgard only gets generic lightning bolts.

Vanheim can start a blood economy (reasonable chance of non-capital B2 casters) while Midgard can't.

Midgard can get to D2 (from which they boost into high levels of death) while Vanheim only gets D1, which isn't very useful.

Dwarven Smiths are great, you can give cheap thugs 3 items for 9 gems instead of 2 for 10. However, Midgard have easier access to communions/sabbaths, and have more paths to bring to a sabbath. Try making a bunch of Vanjarl slaves with a few Vanjarl/Galderman/Volva masters, then have the masters cast self buffs while the Vanjarls attack. It is the best.

By my estimation, Vanheim have easier access to simple raiding thugs, have access to the really cool A6 spells, and can easily start a blood economy. Midgard have more diversity and can make awesome reverse communions, but lack a nice recruitable raider or the ability to make cheap items. Vanheim are probably the easier side to play - a nice milestone to aim for is Storm + Storm Power + Orb Lightning/Thunderstrike. Then later on, you can blood hunt in a big way.
    Thanks for that, somewhat confirms my initial thoughts. A few questions though:

1. Why's Midgard a worse air magic nation? They have a good potential for A3 mages which can be brought to A5 with storm power and boosters.

2. Vanheim's cap mages are 1B +AEDB +10%AEDB +50%B so 2D is still a possibility, just quite a bit less likey. But with blood and air for summons is death that important?

Also I forgot to mention that Vanheim has no nature access out of box. I guess I can still consider boosting a dwarf if I'd want an eye shield.

Still, for the time being I'll change to MA Vanheim.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    1. Vanheim do have higher base air magic, and less reliant on chance from random paths. That means you'll be able to reliably deploy large squads of battle mages, who also have blood magic which can be used for casting the high level spells or mass buffing the mages. Forging air boosters is expensive at 25 gems each, and requires A4 to start. Midgard still have good options for air magic, but not as easily or cheaply as Vanheim.

2. That's <1% chance of D2. Not something you can count on. D2 opens up some useful items and summons, but it isn't essential. It's also something that can be expanded into quite easily by your pretender should you choose that route.

3. Nature magic is common on independents, or again is accessible via summoning with your pretender. Difficult part is deciding if it's worth it. Having a pretender that can site search and forge nice items might help you early on, at the cost of late game power as you have no one capable of casting the big spells.

Speaking of chance, here's one experience for the lessons learnt category:

> Playing w. strong rainbow pretender (8 Astral)
    > Use mind burn on insignificant but annoying stack
    > It's detected and I'm left with a feeble minded crone.

The chance of that happening with mind hunt is very high (40xAstrallvl% chance per mage), so even a single S1 mage is very dangerous for mind hunters.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    1. Why's Midgard a worse air magic nation? They have a good potential for A3 mages which can be brought to A5 with storm power and boosters.
    To clarify Kelron's point, Vanheim have a 25% chance of getting an A4 mage, who can then forge two boosters to get to A6. A6 gives you access to every air ritual spell.

Midgard have no chance of getting A4, therefore they can't forge boosters without the use of a Ring of Wizardry (65 astral gems, S6 required). You suggest that A5 is accessible using storm power and boosters, but Storm is an A4 spell and boosters require A4 to forge. You can kind of mitigate this using a pretender with A4, but you still don't have easy access to the Storm -> Storm Power battle magic combo.

Nation wise I'd like to go Ulm, as I've never played them but any nation of crazed Germanic madmen gets my vote. Not sure which era though, could anyone advise as to which would be most advantageous to me not dying instantly?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Ulm are a tough nation to play as, I think. All eras have fairly poor magic access and decent troops, meaning you need to expand early and fast to stay in the game later when other nations are deploying powerful mages. The thing to remember in Dominions is that magic really starts to dominate in the mid-late game. I have read that an early rush is viable if you can establish yourself as a big enough nation to absorb horrible losses to enemy mages, but the problem with being big is other people ganging up on you.

EA Ulm still has a fairly good variety of magic paths available, though their choice of battle spells will be limited. MA Ulm take it to extremes with very limited magic but some interesting priest spells and special abilities. I think they could be powerful, but it would take some working out and would involve different tactics to just about every other nation in the game. LA they get astral access, which opens up some nice options, but are still short on magic overall.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I am going EA Lanka instead of LA Caelum, unless someone else has already gone Lanka, need to check.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I am going EA Lanka instead of LA Caelum, unless someone else has already gone Lanka, need to check.
    With that we're at 6 heat inclined nations vs 2 cold inclined, not counting the two water nations. I can see a theme developing... Did someone say Illwinter?

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Lanka is a great nation, get a decent bless and watch those babies slice n dice!