Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

[VS]TVA Ops Night

So, something I suggested at the outfit meeting was that we should run a TVA Ops night.

The idea being that rather than TVA cooperation being the ad-hoc thing it is (or often isn't) on any given night, that instead as many TVA outfits as possible agree to bring numbers at a set time, then work towards an objective (probably set at the start of the session, probably a continent lock) over that time.

Ideally, I'd like to see us setting up a "TVA command" for the night, that works something like our Supreme Giraffe setup, and orders forces around at a platoon level. For those outfits who don't want to submit to that (and in doing this, we'd agree to place our platoon(s) under someone else's command on a future TVA ops night). For those outfits that weren't happy being managed like that, we could run a more normal liason link - but the point would be having all outfits committed toward the agreed goal.

Edit: Suggested night for this was Wednesday, as a new "large scale" replacement for Purple Wednesdays.
    Last edited by CMaster; 07-06-2013 at 10:56 AM.

I'm certainly not averse to being part of some bigger ops - I've been on to see us take two locks this week and I'm getting to quite like it.

I don't have the first clue about the other outfits, nor about leading at that level, so this is more of a query than an actual issue, but: if we're to be ordered around by the other outfits at some point, do we know that we'll still be directed to the best fights? I suppose all I'm saying is that co-ordination is one thing, but I don't want to see RPS be sidelined into lesser fights.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    If we want to work and plan this with other outfits, has anyone contacted them yet to see what nights work best?
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Yes, totally up for this. I was trying (in my own little way) to do exactly that this morning: get VS organised and push for a lock. Turns out that's quite hard when there's only one other person in /leader (Dignity). But generally I think anything that brings us closer together through TVA is a good thing. We will almost certainly at some point find ourselves in a grind or ghost cap as a result of this but that's the nature of the game and well worth it if that means we can get a sense of achievement of a larger scale.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    Anything that can promote better coordination with other VS outfits works for me, and I'm definitely in favour of it. It definitely needs a diplomatic touch to make sure that one group isn't always getting stuck with the ghost capping duties.

Network Hub
    Something I've been wondering about is whether the other outfits would be up for a single-TVA-platoon night. Who leads and whose voiceserver we use could be cycled each week.

I've finally got round to signing up for the TVA forums, so if there's interest here I'll sound it out there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by cfftble View Post
    Something I've been wondering about is whether the other outfits would be up for a single-TVA-platoon night. Who leads and whose voiceserver we use could be cycled each week.

I've finally got round to signing up for the TVA forums, so if there's interest here I'll sound it out there.
    Some of the others might be.

I've gathered that VC UBAD and sometimes ISK often joint platoon already.
    However the feeling at the outfit meeting was that RPS by and large didn't want to form mixed platoons.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Given [RPS]'s position as the Rock, Paper, Shotgun outfit I can quite understand people's wishes to not joint platoon. However, if there are some of us that want to join in with TVA wide platoons presumably that's not going to upset anyone? I'm fairly confident that there'll always be a core [RPS] bunch that prefer to run in a pure [RPS] platoon so the classic pun related fun can continue.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    I've posted about this on the TVA forums. Cross-post below:

Hello all,

We've had a chat in the [RPS] outfit and two issues came up:

1) We would like to arrange more TVA-orientated events / evenings and generally play more closely with our allies. The amount we cooperate & coordinate with TVA varies wildly from day-to-day.
    2) Our regular outfit operations night ("Purple Wedesdays") no longer stands out as a special night.
    (In early days of the outfit we dedicated Wednesday as the outfit outing night in order to get one evening a week with a full platoon. We now have a full platoon all evenings of the week and so it's become meaningless.)

Our solution:
    Every Wednesday RPS will focus their ops around TVA allies.
    This means:
    1) Our platoon leaders will respond to requests for reinforcements. (As much as is feasible).
    2) Our liaisons who sit in TVA TS will take a less passive role and will put in the effort to organise joint-ops.

Instead of feeding information to TVA about what RPS are up to (and from TVA to RPS about what other outfits are up to) our liaison will try to aply a more active role in organising joint-ops. This is not an attempt to put someone in a position of ordering TVA about. In my exerpience TVA outfits are usually keen to help out on joint ops such as MAX crashes, setting up anti-air and anti-tank battery locations, and sometimes combined arms approaches. We will put extra effort into organising these either as part of an ongoing campaign (events / continent locks & defenses) or on an ad-hoc basis as situations arise.

Basically, we want to foster those moments that really are pretty epic. The kind of set piece stuff that looks great as well as the strategically important stuff that gets things done.

We're gonna dedicate Wednesday to these nights. I realise this is us putting a day forward without consultation, so we're not demanding / expecting everyone to get involved. We'll push this with whatever outfits are on TS on Wednesday evenings.

An aside: There's a lot of desire within RPS for a TVA event-night where we round up as many TVA outfits & those outfits that work with TVA as possible and attempt a major operation. Suggestions of best dates (doesn't have to be a Wednesday) and possible goals very welcome. If there is an agreement on how such an op will look, we'll put in the effort of reminding / badgering outfits to put someone in TVA TS that night.

-----------------------
    Does that sound about right for the focus of what we plan to do with Wednesdays?
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Lesser Hivemind Node
    yeah, that sounds good cooper. wonder whether we'll get positive responses.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's perhaps a bit slacker than what I was after, but it's probably also more achievable.

I'd still really like to do at least one night where we try having a "TVA Command" that orders about constituent platoons. It's not something I'd want to become regular, but I think it would be fun to do every so often.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    It's perhaps a bit slacker than what I was after, but it's probably also more achievable.

I'd still really like to do at least one night where we try having a "TVA Command" that orders about constituent platoons. It's not something I'd want to become regular, but I think it would be fun to do every so often.
    My experience of TVA is that anyone issuing anything that sounds like orders is really not appreciated.

It varies from outfit to outfit and leader to leader. Some are happy for someone to take lead, others much less so. It is much more possible to lead other TVA outfits and get them to do what you want to do if you suggest & organise rather than command & order.

E,.g: A MAX crash happens when it is suggest & organised. It doesn't happen if someone says "everyone get to Ikanam asap for a MAX crash".

I would also like a night where we have a "TVA command" and actually have uber-TVA-commanders. But we will have to get people on board with that as a specific kind of evening / event rather than something we try and force on TVA on a Wednesday because we want to.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    Let's keep this small to begin with, work out the kinks, and then we can look at broadening the scope. It does sound like we need to sort out all the personality issues and some good old fashioned bridge-building diplomacy - lay the groundwork for greater things down the line.

Hopefully if we can run some simple stuff that works and is effective, we'll get more TVA falling in line later on (and then unleash our plans for the domination of all Auraxis for the greater glory of Vanu!).

Network Hub
    I don't have anything to add here, really. I just wanted to show my support of the idea so you know that your efforts aren't wasted or unappreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    However the feeling at the outfit meeting was that RPS by and large didn't want to form mixed platoons.
    I think that was more specifically to do with tacgir being more of a TVA thing, rather than something kept within RPS. A more general mixed TVA platoon every now and again seems to be a bit of a different proposition.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    I too really like what I'm seeing here. Keep up the good work!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    A note to everyone:

You are discussing alliance ops and strategy in an open forum shared with an active member of NCTO.

This is not EVE Online, but neither BF or TF2. A modicum of paranoia is required.

To illustrate that this game is played in more than one ways: during the last "alarm clock" cap of Indar by the TR, there have been allegations of TR using VS alts to repair terminals, which the defending VS had destroyed, in order to hack them and spawn AMS Sunderers.

Last edited by MrEclectic; 07-06-2013 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    My experience of TVA is that anyone issuing anything that sounds like orders is really not appreciated.

It varies from outfit to outfit and leader to leader. Some are happy for someone to take lead, others much less so. It is much more possible to lead other TVA outfits and get them to do what you want to do if you suggest & organise rather than command & order.

E,.g: A MAX crash happens when it is suggest & organised. It doesn't happen if someone says "everyone get to Ikanam asap for a MAX crash".

I would also like a night where we have a "TVA command" and actually have uber-TVA-commanders. But we will have to get people on board with that as a specific kind of evening / event rather than something we try and force on TVA on a Wednesday because we want to.
    Yep.

I'm inclined to think that TVA would be quite receptive to the idea of a big event. So i'm fully on board with this!

We have a big influence on Miller VS and Miller global pop on the whole, whether we are aware of it or not. We can hold things up and we can get things done. We just need to be the instigators. In terms of a TVA Commander, it might need to be someone that everyone in the TVA are confident in. Then again, it might not. Deep down i think (and hope) that the majority of the outfits will just be pleased to be doing something proactive and "bigger picture". Furthermore, it's a TVA event. Not TVA lead by RPS or anything like that, so hopefully the outfits can stick their diplomatic hats on and "be cool". Adopting a 'We're instigating it and so will naturally be taking the lead.' stance, if you will.

@Eclectic - Valuable information or tactical knowledge/plans generally arnt broadcast on here anyway... Mumble or TVA TS are for that. And we have admin on the case for those things, so there shouldnt be any problems there either.
    Last edited by NickWhite; 07-06-2013 at 07:58 PM.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by darkweeble View Post
    I don't have anything to add here, really. I just wanted to show my support of the idea so you know that your efforts aren't wasted or unappreciated.
    Also, tenchar.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    A note to everyone:

You are discussing alliance ops and strategy in an open forum shared with an active member of NCTO.

This is not EVE Online, but neither BF or TF2. A modicum of paranoia is required.

To illustrate that this game is played in more than one ways: during the last "alarm clock" cap of Indar by the TR, there have been allegations of TR using VS alts to repair terminals, which the defending VS had destroyed, in order to hack them and spawn AMS Sunderers.
    Unlike Eve, assets in this game have a life expectancy of about half an hour, 'great loses' (like losing a lock) have little to no impact on player experience, and OPSEC is kinda pointless when five minutes' work would get them an alt in our outfit, permissions for Mumble and permissions for the TVA forum.