Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mod Tyrrany!

Quote Originally Posted by MoLAoS View Post
    The end is near gentlemen! Also totally surprising and shocking post by Unaco. No one saw that coming.
    I feel like I'm in a M. N. Shamalalalalayayan movie.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaira- View Post
    "Hey guys, here are the rules, remember?"
    As anybody who has ever encountered religion before can attest, the word of god as solely interpreted by a priest is suspiciously indistinguishable from the word of the priest.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Banned
    Aw sweet! Religion bashing! My favorite. This thread is now complete.

I'm too lazy to write something really offensive so just:

<insert generic jesus freak bashing here>

Lesser Hivemind Node
    So RPS went ahead with regular moderation? Disappointing (And reading the announcement about the "rules reminder" this is further increased).

In my 15+ years of online gaming, moderating forums, running servers, organising leagues and tourneys, the RPS forum is by a considerable distance the most sensible when it comes to being a public, open and multi-national gaming hub so its sad to see this step back into moderation. Yes, there have been elements that put some people off but in the long run these are necessary elements for the community to wade through together and come out more cohesive on the other side.

Prior to moderation, most people either left or made their displeasure very open here. The number of places you cannot do that on the 'net (especially in gaming circles) are virtually limitless; having your displeasure being made public is so crucial to an internet forum if it is to maintain a healthy membership - many other places it just degenerates into an open flame war. At RPS you were allowed to express your displeasure and more often than not people here would work through it. Admittedly this is difficult when things become personal but again, other RPSers would point such things out to those directly involved and some sort of compromise/consensus was reached.

I cannot begin to tell you that moderation - no matter how light/soft/etc. - instantly closes of this domain and some/many people will simply scream "MODS!!!" in due course as it is easier than a community based effort through discussion.

My objection is most definitely late now but RPS initiating regular moderation is disappointing and hope that its temporary.

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post

My objection is most definitely late now but RPS initiating regular moderation is disappointing and hope that its temporary.
    You havent really been around, have you?

Not that Im saying it was hell and that moderators are the only relief and chance we have of a normal forum, but I think slight moderation is pretty ok. Atleast a tad more than what we used to have.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    You havent really been around, have you?

Not that Im saying it was hell and that moderators are the only relief and chance we have of a normal forum, but I think slight moderation is pretty ok. Atleast a tad more than what we used to have.
    Recent events involving mods would like a word with you about your obsession with spreading lies. Tyranny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!11

I will ban you. with my iron fist of tyranny.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Network Hub
    You mean your tyrant fist of irony?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Edit: @Quantacat

I've been in fact lurking and reading regularly here for the good part of two years now. And everything I said above was said in reflection of that time. I don't post often though as i'm curious only about specific things.

Its always unfair to compare one environment to another but honestly, i'm still not convinced if RPS needed one (And I followed the beginnings of this electoral process from earlier thread here in the RPS forum to the gigantic elect a mod thread) considering some of the forums i've been in/moderated myself. Additionally, i'm also unsure what you're using as a baseline "behavioural level" or even a comparison to a similar forum out there. And i'm not sure how you define "a tad more moderation" either. RPS's rules have always been open to interpretation and malleability but at least they were applied by the owners of the site. And not users.

And that i'm saying all this clearly means that what you're seeing is not at all compatible with my view.

And also, it was a unique forum prior to regular moderation. It is now a "normal" one as its fallen in line with every other gaming forum out there. That this thread exists half-jokingly about why that Wargamer thread was closed is already the beginning of a slippery slope where people will ask in full earnesty and/or dead seriousness as to why their/this/that/ thread was closed? And it won't just be one thread, there'll be several. It all ends in a big mess where you resign yourself to moderating the threads which are questioning the moderation/moderators. Or worse, you quit the moderation job and hand it over to someone who zero clue to the intricacies of a situation.

And while i'm unaware of "the inner circle" and its members who are in direct contact with Jim and the other owners but based on my personal experience the process is always the same: owners operating at their own pace -> unsatisfied pace for high usage/loyal/regular users -> said users come together -> hash out thoughts/ideas/processes for forum control -> talk to owners -> mods instated -> rules applied as per user interpretation -> cue disgruntled non-mod users as again, rules interpretation is subjective -> cue chaos

Its simplified but I think the point is made. I know i'm sounding negative here but i'm being very realistic - based on personal experiences (On both mod and user side) - about a place like RPS starting regular moderation.

Again, I hope this is temporary but i'm willing to see how this evolves over the next few months.
    Last edited by khaz; 10-06-2013 at 09:08 AM.

oh dont be worried. none of the appointed mods are in this "inner circle" you speak of.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Lesser Hivemind Node
    So they're a bunch of patsies? ;)

Edit: But in all seriousness, good luck to them. And i've known Nullkigan for years before either of us discovered RPS so at least I have faith in the process.
    Last edited by khaz; 10-06-2013 at 10:43 AM.

Banned
    That this thread exists half-jokingly about why that Wargamer thread was closed is already the beginning of a slippery slope where people will ask in full earnesty and/or dead seriousness as to why their/this/that/ thread was closed?
    Excuse me? Half jokingly? HOW DARE YOU!

This thread is totally serious. I demand that this poster be banned for lies and slander. That the wargamer-crepes thread was closed is the great travesty of our age!

<insert extreme profanity that i am too lazy to type up here>

/not half joking rant!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    And also, it was a unique forum prior to regular moderation. It is now a "normal" one as its fallen in line with every other gaming forum out there.
    I don't think it's that bad right now, just seems to set a slightly worrying precedent. There was a weird discussion going on in that thread, but some of us found it quite entertaining/interesting. Yeah, some people got a little bit out-of-line, but I've never really understood the RPS approach of closing threads when people are rude in them rather than just banning the people being rude.

But everyone can laugh this one off as it's a thread none of the regulars here actually care about, and just found amusing. No one is upset it was locked, but equally no-one really seems to think it was necessary to lock it either. That plus the ego-trip announcement together (the latter of which could have been done fine as just a polite reminder, without all the 'I am now a judge' legal bullcrap), it's an inauspicious start really.

I think people just want the mods to do their jobs without being seen or heard to be doing, which is how it's been in the past. Just done more quickly and effectively when there is a problem. (On that note, it took a hell of a long time to close that thread if the only problem with it was it being 'off topic' - that could have been done on day one).

Drama! Damn, where's my popcorn?

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Stuff
    Can I hug you?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Can I hug you?
    Watch out! the mdoerators might ban you for e-PDA!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Can I hug you?
    Is that because you agree or reading that makes you think I need a hug?

The sad thing is I really don't give a damn and don't think the sky is falling (at worst there will be a big flame, a couple of people leave and the mod experiment falls apart which is no big shakes). Just other people are expressing vague feelings of unease and I think I get why and think they're ultimately right, but equally I've barely been posting here the past few months anyway.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MoLAoS View Post
    Watch out! the mdoerators might ban you for e-PDA!
    MoLAoS, I have in my hands two pills.

The red pill is a chill pill.

The blue pill is also a chill pill, but I thought you'd appreciate the choice.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    oh dont be worried. none of the appointed mods are in this "inner circle" you speak of.
    One last thing, do the mods have to go through you or others of this inner circle or can they contact Jim and the others directly if higher intervention is needed for whatever reason?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    MoLAoS, I have in my hands two pills.

The red pill is a chill pill.

The blue pill is also a chill pill, but I thought you'd appreciate the choice.
    Watch out! The moderators might ban you for dealing drugs!

I can't tell if you understand that this thread is a joke. Aside from the crepes. I really do love crepes.