Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Mod Tyrrany!

Also, we cannot ban people at the moment.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    The advantage of closing the thread is that you don't have to trouble yourself to decide who deserves bans. If someone gets banned and believes people who didn't get banned also deserve it, they can be quite troublesome. Thread-locking seems like a good policy in cases where arguments have got a bit out of hand but it's unlikely to be something that'll spill over into permanent grudges---in such cases what you want to avoid is creating parties who feel wronged. Nobody really feels wronged by thread closures, especially temporary ones. Banning members seems like a good policy in cases where the individual is pursuing some sort of unwarranted aggression, rather than the rough-and-tumble of a heated argument.
    The problem with that argument is you're giving a crap about the feelings of the people deserving to get banned.

And if the mods can't figure out who in the thread was out of line, then no-one was and the thread doesn't need closing.

I don't give the slightly care about the feelings of people that are ruining the thread. I do care about everyone else in the thread that was having an interesting conversation.

And to be frank, I have felt wronged by thread closures here in the past, where I've been having a perfectly interesting and fun discussion with someone else, while ignoring a couple of other people who are just being dicks to each other. Then someone turns up and closes said thread. Which says to me "your contribution is less valuable than this dickhead's feelings". I specifically never reported posts because all that ever happened was the thread got closed, rather than anything being done about the posts in it. I'd hoped that with the new moderators being more active on the site, that might change.

But no, they've for some utterly silly reason been given the power to shut the park down and send everyone home, but not remove individual trouble-makers.

I'm aware the thread is open again now, so this academic, but I genuinely feel closing a thread is far more damaging to a community that just removing the bad elements. And often far more damaging than just leaving it being and letting people use the ignore button.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    The advantage of closing the thread is that you don't have to trouble yourself to decide who deserves bans. If someone gets banned and believes people who didn't get banned also deserve it, they can be quite troublesome. Thread-locking seems like a good policy in cases where arguments have got a bit out of hand but it's unlikely to be something that'll spill over into permanent grudges---in such cases what you want to avoid is creating parties who feel wronged. Nobody really feels wronged by thread closures, especially temporary ones. Banning members seems like a good policy in cases where the individual is pursuing some sort of unwarranted aggression, rather than the rough-and-tumble of a heated argument.
    Getting banned for a day should not be causing long held grudges.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    I'm aware the thread is open again now, so this academic, but I genuinely feel closing a thread is far more damaging to a community that just removing the bad elements. And often far more damaging than just leaving it being and letting people use the ignore button.
    I don't even believe we should remove the "bad" elements. Who in that thread is a bad element? Hamster? Hypernetic? Nalano? Fuck that: No matter how abhorrent the opinions, we haven't gotten to the point where we're just exchanging insults, and even if we were, locking the thread is not going to assuage any ill will.

More to the point, while the thread was reopened, I don't like the thought process that prompted its closing in the first place. I don't want a mod who locks things first and asks questions later. No. Lay off.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    The problem with that argument is you're giving a crap about the feelings of the people deserving to get banned.

And if the mods can't figure out who in the thread was out of line, then no-one was and the thread doesn't need closing.

I don't give the slightly care about the feelings of people that are ruining the thread. I do care about everyone else in the thread that was having an interesting conversation.

And to be frank, I have felt wronged by thread closures here in the past, where I've been having a perfectly interesting and fun discussion with someone else, while ignoring a couple of other people who are just being dicks to each other. Then someone turns up and closes said thread. Which says to me "your contribution is less valuable than this dickhead's feelings". I specifically never reported posts because all that ever happened was the thread got closed, rather than anything being done about the posts in it. I'd hoped that with the new moderators being more active on the site, that might change.

But no, they've for some utterly silly reason been given the power to shut the park down and send everyone home, but not remove individual trouble-makers.

Since you already brought it up, closing the thread is defacto support for the people who are wrong. Its extremely interesting that we are dealing with shutting down the conversation when we are talking about this kind of issue. You may not have been aware of the historical context, I don't know.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    More to the point, while the thread was reopened, I don't like the thought process that prompted its closing in the first place. I don't want a mod who locks things first and asks questions later. No. Lay off.
    This.

Its really not that hard to just ask a question in the post whether its worth closing the thread? And in my experience, if a thread warrants closing, the regular posters in the thread openly come out and say it before a mod might even get involved.

@Anthile: thanks for removing the announcement Anthile. Appreciated.

@Quantacat

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Nobody can be banned without deliberation amongst mods.

Posts can be deleted or put in limbo for inspection.

Threads can be moved or locked.

People can be warned through a specific system where one gets a PM or notification.

If you have any real concerns, so not you nalano, post them and Ill bring it up with the others. (if theyre not reading it anyway)
    The three primary mods - null, anthile, berzee - or all the mods from the forums? Who gets to make the final decision then? Also, are the RPS owners aware of the process or do you just give them a summary at the end?

no, there were atleast 2 guys in there flinging insults. they got warned.

also, it was the point of the thread to complain about shit someone did, then someone from the other camp showed up and started flinging accusations in their faces, etc.

it was probably necessary to lock it. but like I said. if they start flinging insults again, and its in Other Stuff, what then?

@khaz: we have a means of communicating with jim, were actively discussing policy. but im just an administrative moderator for ps2, sto and probably the social club. so only the pc gaming mods have any real responsibility.
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 13-06-2013 at 05:29 AM.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Lesser Hivemind Node
    But were those two guys flinging insults at each other or everyone? :)

As for the moderation systems, i'm willing to see how it evolves. For the time being, taking a soft approach to things is all I can ask. And please, like Nalano says, try not to do first and ask questions later. This is a bane for moderation everywhere and impulsive decisions help no one.

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    But were those two guys flinging insults at each other or everyone? :)
    doesnt really matter, the Rule #1 thing applies to all. And there were two guys flinging insults at a third.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Lesser Hivemind Node
    You do realise that if two (Or more) people genuinely don't like each other then beyond asking them to be courteous you really can't do anything? Its inevitable it'll spill into public display at times and locking a thread because of them really isn't courteous to the other people in that thread if they've chosen to ignore the personal spat? You'll be surprised how often people take it to private messaging.

Again, just be pretty damn sure of what you're locking and why. If it becomes an all out flame war between several posters, no one's gonna say anything if the thread gets locked - heck, most people would be glad it is - but two or three people having a genuine go at each other is for the most part easy to ignore.
    Last edited by khaz; 13-06-2013 at 08:43 AM.

Oh Im not for locking the thread. I think it was handled anyway, but we'll see next time.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Banned
    Who was flinging insults? I certainly didn't get a warning and I don't recall anyone getting more riled than me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    it was probably necessary to lock it. but like I said. if they start flinging insults again, and its in Other Stuff, what then?
    To be honest I don't understand why the mods can't be mods for Other Stuff too.

I don't even believe we should remove the "bad" elements. Who in that thread is a bad element? Hamster? Hypernetic? Nalano?
    Wasn't following it but I assumed that if the thread got closed it was because someone was breaking the rule. If they weren't, then obviously there's no case for closing it at all.

two of those new guys were being unexcellent to MikeGER because he put up a pic of food.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Are you sure you're not speaking for Anthile, QuantaCat?

Because it's really beginning to sound like you're speaking for him.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    For what it's worth I wasn't that bothered by the thread getting locked temporarily. But yknow I wasn't actually at a computer while it was locked, so it's of minor importance.

Are you sure you're not speaking for Anthile, QuantaCat?

Because it's really beginning to sound like you're speaking for him.
    no, not really. because I wouldnt have locked it. That doesnt mean locking it was the wrong decision.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Keep in mind that it doesn't mean it was the right decision either. It was a mod decision.