Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar

Various Games Failing to Launch

Right I've noticed at least 2 games I own have stopped launching in the last few days. No hardware changes.

My suspicion is that either Flash or Bink are somehow broken as they're dying around the point they go to launch the intro. Has anyone else had this problem or any advice on resolving it?

Current games I've noticed are Total War Shogun 2 and Stalker.

OK I got Shogun 2 back to life, had to reinstall the visual c re-distributable. I knew it was something outside the games, fecking Windows Updates.

OK god damn it it's failed again.

Right so I've noticed a general downward trend in loading times of late and it does seem to be getting totally stuck in loading screens. Also everything is unresponsive straight after Windows 7 loads. Chances of a HDD going crazy? Everything is defragged and I've got 250GB free.

So steps taken. Pretty much everything is disabled on startup. No anti virus except MS essentials and the Windows Firewall. So the only noticable things on start up are RealTec Audio Manager, Nvidia Settings EPU-6 Engine (the asus motherboard controller thing)

Anyway everything is unresponsive for a couple minutes and all my game loading times are going through the roof. Crusader Kings and Shogun take forever to load anything now.

General trouble shooting tips?

Format that thing and reinstall everything. That generally gets rid of any BS like that.

Check that drive connections have not worked loose or are being stressed by wire routing.

Edit: Oh and graphics drivers, update/reinstall them.
    Last edited by Feldspar; 09-06-2013 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Feldspar View Post
    Check that drive connections have not worked loose or are being stressed by wire routing.

Edit: Oh and graphics drivers, update/reinstall them.
    Drive connections! Good idea!

Graphics drivers already done. I've done all the normal stuff basically and am stumped.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Check the SMART stats on the drive - esp Bad Sector Count and CRC Errors (usually a cable fault)

Then use a boot disk or a drive diagnostic tool to check the drive - Seatools works for almost any HDD and will give you a 'thumbs up' or a 'thumbs down'.

If it's down - you need to consider everything on that HDD 'potentially screwed' - you can try to copy it over but it may already be corrupted

GL

Oh yeah I did most of that. No bad sectors or CRC errors that I could find. My new theory is that Chrome/Steam just block everything else from working while they're loading up and checking for updates.

Did a mem test as well and nothing wrong there.

I have this feeling it's just Windows being Windows and deciding that it needs formatting once every 3 years for no apparent reason.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    I have this feeling it's just Windows being Windows and deciding that it needs formatting once every 3 years for no apparent reason.
    3 years is a LONG time but I've never really encountered that problem - this is running the W7 install I put on it about 3 years ago - the desktop to my right is running XP which is at least 5-6 years old - my laptop has had the same XP install since new (2005), as far as I can tell...

In my experience, when lots of seemingly unrelated things start to misfire you've either got

a - a faulty HDD
    b - faulty RAM (usually BSODs)
    c - Windows Update has spannered something (or an update is stuck halfway which is a REALLY common problem)

I spent about 8 months chasing a problem whereby my PC would bog-down under a TONNE of HDD access - at random times for no apparent reason. I disabled/changed/uninstalled and reinstalled almost everything in that time with no result.

Then, one day, I noticed that I was running the MS driver for my chipset, rather than the nVidia (nForce) one. When I installed that - the problem disappeared.

What amazes me is that it had run perfectly for at least 18 months beforehand so I have NO idea why it just started to screw me about at all!?

Have you tried defragmenting your HDD? And optimizing its speed? (e.g. Auslogics Disk Defrag is what I use)