Network Hub

How to arrange copy between two USB3.0 drives with only 1 USB3.0 socket

So I decided to upgrade my menagerie of 1Tb disks into 2 shiny new 4Tb external Seagate drives.

Can anyone help me figure out the fastest way to configure them to copy 3Tb from one to the other. I'll use SyncToy or similar to mirror them on an daily basis.

Situation:

So, I have one USB3.0 and a couple of USB2.0 sockets on my Win 7 64bit PC.

Both Seagate drives are USB3.0.

One Seagate has got 3.4Tb of data on it and I want to copy it all onto the other empty Seagate.

Do I plug the 'Source' or 'Destination' Seagate drive into the faster USB3.0 socket? Does it make any difference?

PS I'm using Teracopy (http://codesector.com/teracopy) which seems to give me a better USB2.0 copy speed

It shouldn't matter. USB2 has a practical bandwidth limit of some 30 MB/s. It'll take some ~30 hours to copy all that.

Network Hub
    Ok, I was getting ~7mbps between two USB2.0 and am getting 20mbps USB2.0 to USB3.0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    That's the kind of situation where I'd almost consider buying a new motherboard. Because 4 TB on USB2.0 is just not going to be pleasant.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    That's the kind of situation where I'd almost consider buying a new motherboard. Because 4 TB on USB2.0 is just not going to be pleasant.
    ^This. 10 char.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Or an expansion card.

/e: there aren't any 3.0 on the back of the PC? Weird that there's only one total... I know the single-front thing is common (for whatever dumb reason) but there's often some on the back.
    Last edited by Jambe; 10-06-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    There are some early boards which just have 1 USB3 - almost totally pointless.

An expansion card is an option - but this is why I don't bother with external drives and just mount my 'portable storage' in the PC itself - it's not exactly a massive task to add/remove an HDD when you rotate em ;)

Once-upon-a-time I'd have said "crack open the drive and put it into your PC" but they make portable drives with bespoke interfaces now - there's not always a sata drive in the box.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Once-upon-a-time I'd have said "crack open the drive and put it into your PC" but they make portable drives with bespoke interfaces now - there's not always a sata drive in the box.
    Ew, really? I'll make a note to buy HDDs and casings separately if I ever need to in future, then!
    "Swans are so big, they're like the Ostriches of the bird world"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    I bought a 2TB 2.5" drive to replace my current 500GB and the damn thing was soldered. Fuckers. I want a HDD, not a piece of worthless plastic.
    What if the USB connection goes kaput? Do I lose the data?
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny252 View Post
    Ew, really? I'll make a note to buy HDDs and casings separately if I ever need to in future, then!
    Yeah - I've bought a load, over the years when people needed a drive ASAP (local ASDA sells portable drives) but last year I ended-up with a WD one and when cracked it open it's got a soldered-on USB interface!

I decided to keep it for backup but 1 week later it died so I got a refund - handy that :)

I think this all comes from 'the great HDD scam' - you've all heard the story that HDD prices went-up because of flooding and earthquakes? Well that was all bullshit, HDD prices went up because 2 of the major manufacturers were absorbed into the remainder leaving less competition and they all simply hiked their prices out of the park.

Problem then became that portable storage was a lucrative market in decline and so you see portable drives CHEAPER than bare drives - the 'soldered-on interface' allows them to sell portable drives for LESS than bare units!!

Fuckers...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    I bought a 2TB 2.5" drive to replace my current 500GB and the damn thing was soldered. Fuckers. I want a HDD, not a piece of worthless plastic.
    What if the USB connection goes kaput? Do I lose the data?
    I guess so - you could probably, with a bit of solder-know-how, attach a SATA interface to the drive (I assume the same basic connections are underneath?) but that's WAY beyond my talents...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    I guess so - you could probably, with a bit of solder-know-how, attach a SATA interface to the drive (I assume the same basic connections are underneath?) but that's WAY beyond my talents...
    Yeah, I guess I could, if I had some experience in that.
    Should have chosen Electronics and not Informatics. Bummer.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?