Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Network Hub starmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    166

    LF awesome cheap wifi PCI card

    So yeah, everything's in the title. I've done some research but I got flooded in a sea of blury green PCI cards. What's your favorite, RPS?
    Steam

  2. #2
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Boris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,489
    They're practically all good, just get a cheap one. It might be prudent to make sure it also speaks 5GHz 802.11n. Bit of futureproofing. I mean, if you care about that. If not, just get any 802.11n model.

    For example:
    TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 WiFi-N 450 if you have the money for it. (45 euro)
    TP-LINK TL-WN881ND WiFi-N 300 if you want something on the cheap. (17 euro)

    I found those at Pixmania which I think is a French store so they should be available in France. Perhaps you can get them cheaper somewhere else though.

  3. #3
    Network Hub starmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    166
    Thanks a lot Mr! I found the first one cheaper on Amazon (~40€) so I went with that (it's kind of an emergency, I've been connecting to the internet through my netbook's wifi, not optimal). I'm still interested in more offers if you guys have any, for education and such :)

    Thanks again Boris.
    Last edited by starmatt; 11-06-2013 at 07:31 AM.
    Steam

  4. #4
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    249
    I use D-Link RangeBooster N 650 in two of my machines. Not had a problem with them.

  5. #5
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,372
    I'm wondering why a PCI card? There's zero value in having all that crap inside the PC - you still need an aerial outside it - USB Wifi adaptors are more practical and, usually, cheaper too?

  6. #6
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,065
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I'm wondering why a PCI card? There's zero value in having all that crap inside the PC - you still need an aerial outside it - USB Wifi adaptors are more practical and, usually, cheaper too?
    Limited experience of USB adapters, but the cheap ones don't seem very reliable. Poor signal and one of the ones I had got very hot and stopped working altogether at times.

  7. #7
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,372
    Heat is an issue with some, that's true - but the signal thing is entirely down to the external antenna - having a load of hardware INSIDE your case won't help that ;)

    A good quality USB one - extended to sit on a desk etc. for better signal and cooling - has always seemed the solution to me tho - all internal cards do is interrupt airflow to GPUs :)

  8. #8
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Boris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,489
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Heat is an issue with some, that's true - but the signal thing is entirely down to the external antenna - having a load of hardware INSIDE your case won't help that ;)

    A good quality USB one - extended to sit on a desk etc. for better signal and cooling - has always seemed the solution to me tho - all internal cards do is interrupt airflow to GPUs :)
    I don't know what kind of case and motherboard you have, but mine has plenty of space between the video card and the 1x lanes you use for stuff like network cards.

  9. #9
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,065
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Heat is an issue with some, that's true - but the signal thing is entirely down to the external antenna - having a load of hardware INSIDE your case won't help that ;)

    A good quality USB one - extended to sit on a desk etc. for better signal and cooling - has always seemed the solution to me tho - all internal cards do is interrupt airflow to GPUs :)
    Perhaps, but are good quality ones cheap? I've had PCI cards and USB adapters for around 20, and had better luck with the cards.

  10. #10
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Boris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,489
    The PCI cards usually have better antennas than the USB things, so should have better reception. Downside is that they're close to a big metal box which doesn't help reception.

    The chipsets in either can very well be the same, it's the antenna that differs. In practice, I doubt you can tell the difference.

  11. #11
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    286
    This has probably changed from since I bought one but I was under the impression that PCI cards are faster then USB which is pretty important for your ping in FPS games.

    My PCI wifi card has a seperate antenna connected by a cable So I can put it up on my desk

  12. #12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Boris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Inverselaw View Post
    This has probably changed from since I bought one but I was under the impression that PCI cards are faster then USB which is pretty important for your ping in FPS games.

    My PCI wifi card has a seperate antenna connected by a cable So I can put it up on my desk
    Likely still true. But it shouldn't be a perceptible difference.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •