LF awesome cheap wifi PCI card

So yeah, everything's in the title. I've done some research but I got flooded in a sea of blury green PCI cards. What's your favorite, RPS?
    Steam

They're practically all good, just get a cheap one. It might be prudent to make sure it also speaks 5GHz 802.11n. Bit of futureproofing. I mean, if you care about that. If not, just get any 802.11n model.

For example:
    TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 WiFi-N 450 if you have the money for it. (45 euro)
    TP-LINK TL-WN881ND WiFi-N 300 if you want something on the cheap. (17 euro)

I found those at Pixmania which I think is a French store so they should be available in France. Perhaps you can get them cheaper somewhere else though.

Thanks a lot Mr! I found the first one cheaper on Amazon (~40€) so I went with that (it's kind of an emergency, I've been connecting to the internet through my netbook's wifi, not optimal). I'm still interested in more offers if you guys have any, for education and such :)

Thanks again Boris.
    Last edited by starmatt; 11-06-2013 at 07:31 AM.
    Steam

Network Hub
    I use D-Link RangeBooster N 650 in two of my machines. Not had a problem with them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm wondering why a PCI card? There's zero value in having all that crap inside the PC - you still need an aerial outside it - USB Wifi adaptors are more practical and, usually, cheaper too?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I'm wondering why a PCI card? There's zero value in having all that crap inside the PC - you still need an aerial outside it - USB Wifi adaptors are more practical and, usually, cheaper too?
    Limited experience of USB adapters, but the cheap ones don't seem very reliable. Poor signal and one of the ones I had got very hot and stopped working altogether at times.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Heat is an issue with some, that's true - but the signal thing is entirely down to the external antenna - having a load of hardware INSIDE your case won't help that ;)

A good quality USB one - extended to sit on a desk etc. for better signal and cooling - has always seemed the solution to me tho - all internal cards do is interrupt airflow to GPUs :)

Heat is an issue with some, that's true - but the signal thing is entirely down to the external antenna - having a load of hardware INSIDE your case won't help that ;)

A good quality USB one - extended to sit on a desk etc. for better signal and cooling - has always seemed the solution to me tho - all internal cards do is interrupt airflow to GPUs :)
    I don't know what kind of case and motherboard you have, but mine has plenty of space between the video card and the 1x lanes you use for stuff like network cards.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar

Perhaps, but are good quality ones cheap? I've had PCI cards and USB adapters for around 20, and had better luck with the cards.

The PCI cards usually have better antennas than the USB things, so should have better reception. Downside is that they're close to a big metal box which doesn't help reception.

The chipsets in either can very well be the same, it's the antenna that differs. In practice, I doubt you can tell the difference.

Network Hub
    This has probably changed from since I bought one but I was under the impression that PCI cards are faster then USB which is pretty important for your ping in FPS games.

My PCI wifi card has a seperate antenna connected by a cable So I can put it up on my desk

Quote Originally Posted by Inverselaw View Post
    This has probably changed from since I bought one but I was under the impression that PCI cards are faster then USB which is pretty important for your ping in FPS games.

My PCI wifi card has a seperate antenna connected by a cable So I can put it up on my desk
    Likely still true. But it shouldn't be a perceptible difference.