Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar

[VS] Balloon Leaders: What this rank means & nominations

Having recently updated the Giraffe Beacon rank to Girofficer it is time to pay more attention to Balloon Leader.

We do not need an overhaul in quite the same way as Girofficer, but we do need more people to be nominated and for the system to be clear. In view of that, the following now applies:

Balloon Leader (BL)

What the rank indicates:
    • That the member is a respected platoon leader, acknowledged by the outfit community.
    • It does NOT indicate that only BLs may lead platoons. Platoon lead can be taken on y anyone, something we encourage. If you want to develop your platoon leading skills please do thnk about taking part in our mentorship programme

Requirements for the rank:
    • To have lead [RPS] platoons.

How to be promoted to the rank of BL:
    • Unlike the rank of Giraffe or Girofficer you cannot put yourself forward for the promotion.
    • Members must be nominated for the rank by another outfit member along with the reason for the nomination.
    • The promotion is given to any member whose nomination is seconded by another outfit member.
    • Nominations and seconds can be given by anyone of rank Giraffe or above.

Please use this thread to:
    1) Nominate new BLs.
    2) Discuss the rank in general (i.e: Should we increase the requirements to a nomination, a second and a third?)
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Not sure if a third is needed as such, but there are plenty people around to manage that requirement, I believe.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus NickWhite's Avatar
    Rename the role so it fits in more with the Giraffe theme?

Tower Leader has been proposed? Collective term for Giraffe.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Not sure if a third is needed as such, but there are plenty people around to manage that requirement, I believe.
    Since there's no need to be a Balloon Leader to lead platoons, there is really no rush to get people promoted. Thirds would be easy enough to come by in (but still no idea if they are at all necessary).

Perhaps it would be more important to allow for disagreements with a nomination? We are generally a positive bunch, so if someone wasn't totally suitable for BL rank they might still easily garner several nominations. Have one 'no' vote from a respected member of the community should probably carry weight.

On the subject of names I really like 'Balloon Leader' and would be sad to see it replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Since there's no need to be a Balloon Leader to lead platoons, there is really no rush to get people promoted. Thirds would be easy enough to come by in (but still no idea if they are at all necessary).

Perhaps it would be more important to allow for disagreements with a nomination? We are generally a positive bunch, so if someone wasn't totally suitable for BL rank they might still easily garner several nominations. Have one 'no' vote from a respected member of the community should probably carry weight.

On the subject of names I really like 'Balloon Leader' and would be sad to see it replaced.
    I would agree with this.

I agree with the 2 above.

Since Balloon Leader is an honorific rank, that isn't required for anything, and doesn't grant much rights, I would like stronger requirements/procedure to become one. Otherwise, we're just gonna have a Mexican army, where everyone is a Balloon Leader. Might as well get rid of ranks.

Currently, there are many people who would qualify on the basis of having led once. But usually, even if you do OK, you will still do some mistakes during your first leading. So a bit more experience should imho be required to become Balloon Leader.
    One way that we could do this is that to sponsor (second/third) someone, you would have to be either a Girrofficer or a Balloon Leader. Theses peoples should get a better idea of tactics/strategy and better able to judge how the PL did. Also the "no" vote is essential, because you might know something about the candidate that the one nominating didn't.

But that's only my personal opinion, maybe I don't get what Balloon Leader is supposed to be about.

Concerning the name, Balloon Leader is a joke everyone can gets. "Tower of Giraffes" isn't exactly common vocabulary, non-native speakers might not get it.
    Last edited by Ksempac; 11-06-2013 at 07:58 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    I dont think that requirements are that big an issue. We arent currently bogged down with BLs, as it takes recommendations to even set the ball rolling for BLs.

The way I understand it, after nomination, we currently have had 2 extra people seconding it anyway before the person is accepted, so I see no reason why it cant be that way from now on... Nomination, seconded, thirded..

The fact that anybody can PL regardless of this rank means that its really only there for a bit of fun and recognising successful times, so it doesnt need to be viewed of as a massively regimented thing.

I see no reason why we should vote against a candidate, because its about community and friendliness, and turning down somebody that has been seconded is a bit of a slap in the face. Its also about their leadership, not their personality (otherwise, I wouldnt have BL haha).

I think it should remain as is. That said, it is definitely recommended that anybody who intends to frequently lead as bl, particularly on thursdays, should probably watch others, do some mentoring and go to some tutorials, just so that they can be as good as they ought to be. It isnt required to be good at something here, its just an optional extra, and as such, promoting that BL nominees be required to do these things is a bit much.

Regarding name, I dont really mind, though I suppose it would make sense to have a rank structure named to follow on from one another.. balloon is fine though, old in jokes are always good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Gentlemen, for your consideration.

Socroft, TheAssistMaster, LaKroy, trooperwally, Hippymaster, ThePCGamerSpy

All fine herders, that hasn't hesitated to don the mantle of leading.

Also I think there must be a bloody long time since anyone was nominated.

I am a Giraffe General, but you might need to demote me as I rarely find time to play PS2 lately. (well, since a few months, more specifically, at all since Rezzed)
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Activated Node
    Seconded on: Lakroy, Assistmaster and PCGamerSpy. I've been lead by all of these people on numerous occasions and i personally think they deserve the title. Lakroy: Air Squad (one of my most favourite ideas that have come out of this community). Assist: general leader in both normal comms and split and a generally nice "gent". PCGamer: Same as Assist really, he is a particularly good leader with ambitious strategy!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    I second TrooperWally for being a good leader with solid tactical sense and for steoping up to lead on numerous occasions and also pushing for tactical play.

I Also second Socroft for good leadership, bold ideas and for driving experimentation with vehicle group tactics etc.

haven't been lead much by HippyMaster.

Suggestion, since Ballon leaders are nominally a higher rank than girofficer and have some responsibility in running introductions for new members and setting up girofficers, should only girofficers be accepted as ballon leaders? I still think we should be able to nominate giraffes for BL, but maybe they'll have to go through the girofficers bit first? Which I understand is just a short check of the mumble-setup for the person in question. Or would this be too bureaucratic?

higby retweeted this link on platoon leadership this morning for you platoon leading types out there, might have some insights

http://themittani.com/features/ps2-h...oon-leadership

I think that comes down to whether we're seeing balloon leads as people that are 'recognised for platoon leadership', or people who are recognised, but also then have the responsibilities that the rank can actually carry.

If we're saying all balloon leads should be able to carry out outfit intros/girofficer verifications (even if they don't do it), then yes they should have to go through it themselves, as they can promote people.

Re: that link. I stopped reading at "What is my outfit's average KDR?"

Quote Originally Posted by sinomatic View Post
    Re: that link. I stopped reading at "What is my outfit's average KDR?"
    keep going, some bits are pertinent..

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, skimmed through and must have missed any references to KDR, most of it sounds surprisingly close to how we operate (considering it's from something Mittani-related). Eg. numbers involved, rapid redeployments, splitting comms at around 20-30 people.

He used outfit KDR as a measurement of effectiveness to choose fights, ie KDR > 1 you can engage in 1-1 and a little bit worse odds.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, that is basically nonsense. Doesn't really matter how many times you die to get the job done.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Yeah, that is basically nonsense. Doesn't really matter how many times you die to get the job done.
    Indeed. Adding to this, our outfit has an average KDR of 0.63, yet we manage to win even fights, or even ones where we are outnumbered. Furthermore, average KDR is a bad measurement of the effectiveness of the players in a coordinated fight, partly because it is calculated based on all activity, including solo play. Farming Daddy-style has nothing to do with how effective you are when playing towards the objective, yet it impacts the KDR significantly.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    And suicides harm KDR. Yet an effective and mobile platoon will fairly often mass suicide to get to another place quickly via Gals and squad deploy.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!