Saints Row 2, The Third, and IV to get official SDK and mod support!

For a while now a group of dedicated modders have been pushing the PC versions of the Saints Row games further than could be hoped for - unlocking and tweaking a number of features - but they've always been fairly limited by the closed engine and lack of documentation. Now that Volition is held by Deep Silver, however, that looks likely to change.

Jeff Thompson, the Studio Director of Programming at Volition, is putting together a package for us containing documentation, file formats, tools, and more on the Saints Row: The Third engine. Myself, Minimaul, and gibbed will be working closely with Jeff over the coming months to use this information to create a robust set of modding tools to supplement our existing ones and creating what is essentially a full sdk for the game! But, that’s not all! Saints Row: The Third is only the beginning! Jeff has confirmed that he will also be digging up all the Saints Row 2 info that he can so we can do the same for it as well, and that this undertaking is actually a “test run” for Saints Row IV.
    Details here: http://idolninja.com/blog/?p=1944

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Pretty sure I just came.

Good news.

#PCGamingMasterRace

/paging Nalano to the thread
    Last edited by khaz; 11-06-2013 at 05:42 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Wow, that's pretty impressive. Kudos to Volition!
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    This is terrible news.

I've played Saints Row 3 for 75 hours without mods. If the lifespan of that game gets extended, I'll never get anything done!
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of naïveté. It's naïveté turned inside-out. Naïveté wearing a sneer." -Momus

Incredible. Now, if only SR3 would stop crashing every 20 minutes...

If true, this will add massive amounts of replayability to the games. As mind-breakingly fun as SR3 is, after the 10th or so replay it got kinda stale.
    Building, fixing and using PCs since 1999. Only PCs. Always PCs.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    I think I'm with Goose on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Oshada View Post
    Incredible. Now, if only SR3 would stop crashing every 20 minutes...
    Really? I'm pretty sure I've had no problems whatsoever. What's your hardware?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Something to increase the no of Saints you can recruit to up the takes of Gang wars would be amazing. Can't really think of anything else off the top of my head but can't wait to see what more creative people come up with given the scope of the options available.

Network Hub
    Well, I need to go change my pants now

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Oooh. Shiny.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardust’s Music Sounds Better With You. There’s lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context that’s cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Absolutely the complete fuck yes.

Maybe they'll be able to up the number of people in multiplayer, too...

My body is ready.

That is good news indeed. I've said before elsewhere that I find Saints Row 3 to be a weak entry compared to Saints Row 2, BUT as a modding platform I would much prefer it. If the fans take that game to new places, my gripes might be a thing of the past.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Well as insane as Volition can be, I think this will unleash a beast of insanity. Never underestimate power of nutty internet mods.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!
    http://ps2guides.besaba.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    I think I'm with Goose on this one.

Really? I'm pretty sure I've had no problems whatsoever. What's your hardware?
    I don't know whether it's particularly finicky on Windows 8 or something, but I'm playing on a laptop which should be able to handle it comfortably. (Radeon 6770M, i7-2630QM)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    One of my friends had that problem. I'll see if he ever fixed it. He's not on Windows 8 though.
    steam: sketch

I think Saints Row is one of those franchises that really could benefit from the mod tools, the amount of crazy this game already has is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Oshada View Post
    I don't know whether it's particularly finicky on Windows 8 or something, but I'm playing on a laptop which should be able to handle it comfortably. (Radeon 6770M, i7-2630QM)
    My system used to hate Saints Row the Third. I have a AMD Phenom II x4 and had a HD4890. Being AMD Evolved game and all that stuff, I was playing this game around 20-30 fps. The settings made no difference whatsoever, everything maximum and everything as low as possible had around 5 fps impact at best. The forums were full of people with highly above recommended settings PCs and they were having problems as well. No drivers seemed to fix that.
    I got a Nvidia 560 Ti from my brother and that fixed everything. With v-sync on, I was capped at my monitor's refresh rate (75) with everything on the highest settings. I guess that AMD Evolved thing didn't turn out so well for them. Anyway, that has been my experience, I remember seeing people with Nvidia cards having issues as well so go figure.