Activated Node

The random avatars in non-forum RPS are awesome. Where do they come from ?

Hello,

I know the site is using Gravatar, but i don't know how it's generating those delicious fizwizbizzilly creatures for those who are to lazy to register on that site, or those who want to keep their virtual identities separated, for whatever reason (everybody' got something to hide eh). I'd be interested to know a little about the, er, technologies ? involved in summonning those. Anyone has any insight ?

I found this: http://scott.sherrillmix.com/blog/blogger/wp_monsterid/ , which if I'm not mistaken is what Gravatar's system is based on.

Specifically, Gravatar comes included in Wordpress (which RPS uses) and those monster-IDs are one of the options. As for the tech involved, I'd also love to know - haven't found much.

Obscure Node
    There is this http://www.splitbrain.org/projects/monsterid, which is, I guess, an older version of the monster ID. But you can download the source code there.

It's actually just putting together predefined monster parts at random.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerothorn View Post
    As for the tech involved, I'd also love to know - haven't found much.
    The blog post I linked to explains the basics (read the comments too), and links to further info.

Activated Node
    Awesome, thanks. So this is, basically, a concatenation of predefinished monster parts, and those sources are available. (also @Aerothorn : that avatar picture...)