Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
    Eh. Don't care to debate score inflation any more here.

On the other hand, it does seem the blatantly inaccurate reporting on games the writer doesn't care about has extended to military RTS games...

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...an-e3-trailer/

John responded with this

I recall John flubbing about Borderlands 2 DLC a while back too. Seems that lately when there is a pricing scheme or game that the RPS writer dislikes, facts are sacrificed for the greater point that must be made with snark.

Seems they should find people who are willing to care or stop falsely reporting on things that they don't care about.
    Seems to me that all the games he messes up on are shit. I couldn't get through a whole piece about any of those games either.

Network Hub
    Then you should never start writing about them if you think they are too shit to report honestly.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
    Then you should never start writing about them if you think they are too shit to report honestly.
    I write about them all the time. I say this:

"All shooters suck and if you play them you are bad and should feel bad."

The question is: Who likes military shooters?

Besides that: Blablabla Subjectivity blablabla...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Certainly I have some interest in shooters if they are well made, but I don't read RPS for military game info.
    RPS is for anti-establishment reviews and such (or at least that's why I like the site). Wouldn't doing a lot of military games be antithetical?

Quote Originally Posted by MoLAoS View Post
    I say this:

"All shooters suck
    They suck for you, perhaps, which is irrelevant.

if you play them you are bad and should feel bad."
    Why? Because you say they suck?

Quote Originally Posted by MOKKA View Post
    The question is: Who likes military shooters?
    The majority of gamers, it would seem.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nahru2 View Post
    Good thing RPS doesn't cater to the lowest common denominator, then.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Banned
    They suck for you, perhaps, which is irrelevant.

Why? Because you say they suck?
    Why so serious?

Why so serious?
    you were not serious? my appologies then. i am not in a mood right now... i think i need some sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Good thing RPS doesn't cater to the lowest common denominator, then.
    except they do, but whatever.

Is that so, or do they just think that they like them, because they don't know better?

It's the same thing with sports games: it's just not going to happen.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Quote Originally Posted by MOKKA View Post
    Is that so, or do they just think that they like them, because they don't know better?
    i am pretty sure they do like them, othervise they would not invest so much money and time into playing them, even if the differences are min or. also, if they even remotely follow gaming news, they should know for other games. but, i do agree that rps should not pay significant (or at all) attention to such games, but if they do they should at least invest some effort to make it right, if they want such posts to have any value. but hey, maybe the point of those posts is to simply be snarky about such games, or something.

This is a site that put Battlefield 3 in their Best Games of the Year. I don't think you can claim they have it in the for the entire (sub)genre.

if they even remotely follow gaming news, they should know for other games.
    Believe me, you'd be suprised to see how uninformed some people are.

Otherwise: Blablabla subjectivity blablablablabla.

Network Hub
    God knows we need more positive coverage of first person shooters. The blatant corruption displayed by the gaming press giving every single AAA FPS 9-10 scores just doesn't suck in enough people to pre order the games to make the industry money.

Not at all.
    Amen. Add in the nasty, cosy real life relationship that the AAA studios that produce these games have and foster with actual weapon manufacturers, that you know, are responsible for real death and destruction all around the world every day, then yeah...screw them and their evil product. Think of the children.

(i'm only half joking btw)

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by ZakG View Post
    Amen. Add in the nasty, cosy real life relationship that the AAA studios that produce these games have and foster with actual weapon manufacturers, that you know, are responsible for real death and destruction all around the world every day, then yeah...screw them and their evil product. Think of the children.

(i'm only half joking btw)
    Interesting sorta necro, (thread isn't that old since last post I suppose, but that quote is getting on).

Today's Eve battle report I think showed another case in disinterested reporting. They basically only reported the CfC side of things which made them look slightly more adept at gaming news that the BBC coverage of the same story, but really providing no more content. If they had even had the interest level to go read at themittani.com and reddit they would have discovered some other interesting things to include in the report like the 200 man suicide attack at the end of the battle and the Titan gank that followed shortly after.

I don't play Eve, but I had the interest to go find the actual gaming news (thanks in part to a link from that BBC story).

So not only did RPS get scooped (like that matters), when they finally got around to the story they did a mediocre job of reporting it. And this time I couldn't blame the snark or the bias (RPS seems very fond of Eve despite not playing it much and there was very little snark in the story).

Just plain laziness of reporting I suppose.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I like the MP component of military shooters. I don't touch the SP. It could not exist for all I care. I love jumping on a server and rolling people though.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Remember: This is not a news site. This is a commentary blog. They don't have to cover everything and this is one of the things they're really not interested in.
    Then maybe they could spend their time on writing about things they are interested in instead. Just a thought - that way everybody wins.
    Last edited by c-Row; 31-07-2013 at 01:31 PM.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -