Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 52 of 52
  1. #41
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    612
    Jim loves shooters, right? He's just more into the multiplayer side.
    They've also very highly rated Bioshock, Farcry 3, DayZ. (and I think serious sam)

    I think the thing is that they, like me, and I suspect many on the site, are getting older and more jaded. I think they rather liked modern warfare 1, but as the series has become more and more extreme in it's attidude, and as it gets repeated and repeated and copied again and again... it's just not interesting. Especially not to write about. Unless taking the piss.

    They seem to like shooters that do something new, either in terms of setting (Bioshock) or story (farcry 3) or presentation or emergent gameplay (Dishonored / BF3 multiplayer) or something (DayZ). That's true for most of the content of this site.

    When I was 15 I would probably have loved CoD and lapped up every episode as being the best thing ever. But these days, even if i might enjoy some of the action, I wouldn't expect anyone to actually write anything interesting about them.

    What actually interesting could you write about the latest iteration that hasn't already been said about previous ones?

    So we are left to either ignore them, or take the piss out of them. There isn't really another viable option.
    Last edited by BillButNotBen; 31-07-2013 at 12:13 PM.

  2. #42
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post

    So we are left to either ignore them, or take the piss out of them. There isn't really another viable option.
    Take the piss out of them intelligently and on the basis of fact would the be the third option. Just because you are taking the piss out of something doesn't mean you should take license to make stuff up about it or avoid actually researching it because then your joke might actually be factually incorrect.

    The reason I say someone needs to like them is that seems to be the only reason RPS would put out an effort to get the facts right and then get snarky rather than snark first...facts if they are convenient.

    As I said in the post about the latest Eve story, I am not sure my theory holds anymore. They seem to be foregoing good reporting even when they like the games lately. Maybe that means there is too much to cover, maybe that means they only put cursory effort into anything at all which isn't a pet interest at that moment. Dunno.
    Last edited by Misnomer; 31-07-2013 at 03:32 PM.

  3. #43
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    612
    Quote Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
    As I said in the post about the latest Eve story, I am not sure my theory holds anymore. They seem to be foregoing good reporting even when they like the games lately. Maybe that means there is too much to cover, maybe that means they only put cursory effort into anything at all which isn't a pet interest at that moment. Dunno.
    I don't know what was the issue with the Eve post. But I think you are right that there are a lot more "news posts" recently compared to the number of "stories".

    It has been remarked on before, and Jim (i think) pointed out that it isn't that there are less detailed posts on the site, but that there are more news posts around them.

    I think the problem is that when you have to crank out 20-30 news posts about new trailers and press releases every day, there isn't really much to make them interesting... so snark and humour is needed to try to stand out.
    Of course, RPS always had snark and humour, but I think it's much more obvious when it's 100 words of snark and a trailer, compared to 100 words of snark in a 500 word article.

    It is the unfortunate fate of all news blogs that when they become popular they are forced into just regurgitating press releases and news posts from other sites in an endless loop.

    Smaller personal blogs can post one or twice a week in detail about a few subjects dear to them. Popular blogs have to repost everything that kotaku and eurogamer post, but with added snark.

  4. #44
    Network Hub Jambe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    It has been remarked on before, and Jim (i think) pointed out that it isn't that there are less detailed posts on the site, but that there are more news posts around them.
    I have harped on that. I find myself skipping swathes of RPS content in my feed reader not because I don't like RPS' writing but because I get my Condensate of Trailer and Press Releases elsewhere and I get frustrated having to filter through the same shit again and again.

    I don't need or even want much of that in my RPS reading; the increase in newsblastery is actually reducing my readership. I suppose I'm in the minority, though; I'd wager you're correct that niche sites' traffic somewhat reliably scales with the amount of news-regurgitation they do.
    Is not a leg.
    Frobnitz Ichor Liquor purveyors don't need compasses to tell which way the moon sounds.

  5. #45
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,091
    Jambe, in lieu of the site's tendencies changing you could always try to make a Greasemonkey script to make the newsy articles you're not interested in less prominent on the main page. ^_^

    (filtering on words like "trailer" and "kickstarter" and "announce" and such may give promising though incomplete results)
    Last edited by Berzee; 01-08-2013 at 08:39 PM.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

  6. #46
    Network Hub Jambe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    Jambe, in lieu of the site's tendencies changing you could always try to make a Greasemonkey script to make the newsy articles you're not interested in less prominent on the main page. ^_^

    (filtering on words like "trailer" and "kickstarter" and "announce" and such may give promising though incomplete results)
    Hehe, you're right, friend, you're right. Although then I'd surely miss some good things via false positive, and I'm an emotional nincompoop so I just can't go through with it. I'll continue trudging through the fluff; I like RPS enough to do it!

    fwp, lol
    Is not a leg.
    Frobnitz Ichor Liquor purveyors don't need compasses to tell which way the moon sounds.

  7. #47
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Jambe View Post
    I'm an emotional nincompoop so I just can't go through with it
    Man, the number of times I've wasted entire evenings just to ensure I could say "I have consumed EVERY AVAILABLE PIECE OF CONTENT created by this particular person / website I admire!" ... I understand completely. :P
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

  8. #48
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    612
    Me Too.
    I tried just sticking to some categories like 'features' or 'indie', but then I missed some stories in other categories. It's hard define what is important and what is noise.
    I suggested a "top stories" feed, where they could add only important news. (eg: their own content, plus anything particularly stunning or big news"... but even then i'd worry I missed something.

  9. #49
    Activated Node Reiken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    33
    I think the problem is how mass produced military shooters are and how little difference there is between them. Played one, you played them all. At least when it comes to CoD.

    Battlefield at least tries to change things up a bit and push technology forward which is why I'm excited for BF4. But other than that, the closest thing to a military shooter I've enjoyed recently was Planetside 2 and Fall of the Triad. But I'm not sure you can call Planetside 2 a military shooter and Fall of the Triad is too much of an awesome lulz fest to even be considered to board that boat.

  10. #50
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,251
    The reason RPS is good is because the writers just review what they feel like. So for the love of god no don't change that.

  11. #51
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    england
    Posts
    599
    err
    rps likes
    arma 3
    planetside 2
    battlefield 3
    stalker series
    etc..

    arma 3 is far more of a military shooter than cod anyway. cod is just a what teenage boys think the military is like game.

  12. #52
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    3,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Jambe View Post
    I have harped on that. I find myself skipping swathes of RPS content in my feed reader not because I don't like RPS' writing but because I get my Condensate of Trailer and Press Releases elsewhere and I get frustrated having to filter through the same shit again and again.

    I don't need or even want much of that in my RPS reading; the increase in newsblastery is actually reducing my readership. I suppose I'm in the minority, though; I'd wager you're correct that niche sites' traffic somewhat reliably scales with the amount of news-regurgitation they do.
    If so, I'm in the minority with you. I couldn't be bothered with trailers and at a certain point, pointing out just how many damn trailers exist for a game doesn't make it less annoying that you're posting them.

    But RPS is, in spirit, a lovely site and their more quirky or in-depth stuff always has me interested so I'm likewise not disappointed because of some perceived decrease in quality ... just the increased quantity of things I can find elsewhere. I absolutely love PC Games N for my news-y stuff--it's short, to the point, humorous, and picks up on a bunch of things I don't find elsewhere.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

    You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •