Network Hub

Wot you think - StarDrive?

So there was a little blip about StarDrive on RPS a few months ago, but not much more about it here. It's out on steam and I'm itching for a game of this sort. Has anyone played it? Your thoughts?

I haven't played it, but I noticed that it has samurai spacebears. So there's that.

Network Hub
    Yes. That's about all I know about it, and anyone I've asked, it seems.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    I played the Beta version for about five hours a few months ago. Haven't felt the urge to go back, which I think says it all.

It's a lite version of Distant Worlds, which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your point of view. Like DW it allows you to automate various aspects of play but DW is a much richer experience. Although speaking of much richer DW costs a fortune to get all the expansions, the latest of which came out recently so they at least have a sale on right now.

I like the ship design on Stardrive - it reminds me of Space Empires 5 - and the battles look cool, much better than eg Endless Space.

Diplomacy is pretty poor - not a patch on Gal Civ 2 - and the technology tree is nothing special.

I will go back to it but I'm more inclined to just play some Space Empires 4.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I've posted some thoughts recently on the Whatcu Playin' thread. Been at it for about a week now and have lost five times, but I'm getting much further each time. The look of each race's ships are awesome, and it's fun trying to design your own. Don't think I've managed to make a ship which was better than the default model yet, even though I keep hearing how easy that is.

There's been some noise about StarDrive being real-time instead of turn-based, but it's fine. I've played Masters of Orion and there's nothing jarring or unnatural here. That said, other parts of the game are still a little rough around the edges. Can't seem to tow ships back if all their engines have been destroyed, you have to hit the self destruct button. Ground fighting is just a mass pileup and fairly boring.

Obscure Node
    I've got my copy of StarDrive installed on my computer, but haven't played it a whole lot yet. There's a fun game in there, but I second Drake Sigar's assessment about the game being rough around the edges. I'm kinda waiting for the much-ballyhooed 1.12 update, which is supposed to address a number of issues.

It's not going to replace Armada 2526 or Distant Worlds as my current favorite space 4x title, but I'd say it's a worthy addition to the genre. And as the developer is providing significant, long-term support, the game can only get better with time.

Obscure Node
    I saw this as sort of a cross between The Jupiter Incident and Endless Spaces gameplay styles, can anyone comment on how apt that would be?

I fail to see any relation to Nexus: The Juper Incident, to be honest. I mean there's some tinkering with the ships in Nexus but that's about it.
    BobHound - EVE Online

I've only played a bit but it's enough to know there's a great game there. It did lack that polished feel in UI and such which annoyed me quite a bit, but the core of the game seems pretty solid. Bits of MoO2 and Space Empires there, just with realtime.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.