Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar

I just bought Skyrim - what mods should I install?

Hi everyone, long time no see. So as the title indicates, I finally got around to starting Skyrim (Legendary Edition). I could use some advice/suggestions regarding mods - I really have no idea what's good or not, and what's necessary. General graphics improvements, better AI, fixing the dialogue which I assume will be dreadful, hopefully something to sort out the terrible interface are just some of what I'm looking for. I'm gonna find a way of changing the FOV as less than ten minutes in it was giving me a headache, but beyond that I don't know what particular mods to get.
    It was bought from Steam, in case that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!

If you've got a couple of hours to kill this modding guide is excellent:

http://wiki.step-project.com/STEP:2.2.6

My favorite is Macho Dragon Mod: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bifmj1O3D24

Network Hub
    if you like actual exploring (i.e. no GPS):
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...tails/?id=8787

when you get bored of lockpicking (probably after you do it once...):
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...tails/?id=8130

if you use a controller:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...ails/?id=19981

and whatever graphical enhancements suit your system specs...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    SkyUI because the default UI should be more of a headache than the default FOV.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Note on Unofficial Patches: Until Skyrim was finished, I avoided these. Now it is done, I recommend looking at them. But make sure of two things:

-They are up to date with the very latest version of the game.
    -They load above ALL OTHER mods in your load order. Since they change a lot of things, they need to load early. Also, install them before any other mods, including scripts they modify. If another mod overwrites ANYTHING from the patches, you MUST overwrite for the other mod, loaded later, to work properly. Some will tell this is a conflict; its not. Its just mods working like they work.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Unofficial Skyrim Patch. Fixes a boatload of misc but annoying bugs in the base game.

Also word of advice if you have a 120hz monitor - force v-sync through drivers, the game expects a maximum FPS of 60, anything above and the in game timer flips out. NPC schedules, the day-night cycle, and even the physics engine all bug out.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    First you should get all the Unofficial Patch mods, including the one for hi-res texture pack (if you plan on using it) and EACH DLC. These are MUST-HAVES that fix numerous bugs right out of the gate.

Past that, I made this mod which tweaks the magic perks:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...ails/?id=10271

Note that it doesn't add any new spells, spell effects, etc., but merely attempts to make magic useful throughout the game. It might be a little overpowered, but certainly not compared to max-level crafting.

For my money, the most impressive mod I've used is Airborne Perching Birds. Oh, it might not sound very impressive, but seeing fully-animated, singing birds flying through the air, hopping around, or even sitting in a nest is surprisingly nice. I've had it break on me a few times before, but a disable-start-exit-renable-start cycle clears that up right quick.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    http://www.skyrimgems.com/

For all your Immersion-oriented modding needs. Seriously, this site is focused on delivering list after list of mods solely to enhance immersion. No anime; no nudity or machine gun mods. Most of this is lore friendly, and its all friendly to the atmosphere.

Now, that said, some specific, as-close-to-objective-best-ofs as possible, by category:

-SKSE: I know script extenders can be a pain. But really, not having this means missing out on SkyUI, Dual Wield Parry, Sneak tools and so many more. Get SKSE asap.

-Sneak Tools: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/19447//?. This little gem enhances stealth no end. Rope arrows; knock outs; water and fire arrows (and crossbow bolts, if you have Dawnguard.) You activate people while sneaking and opt to slit their throats. Chance is based on numerous factors. Its a must have for Stealth.

-Deadly Combat/Duel Combat Realism: Both add impact and stagger to hits, make enemies smarter and stamina matter. Deadly combat is the mod of choice for me though. This one makes combat faster and deadlier, for everyone - player included.

-Morrowloot: Makes rare loot really, actually rare. With this mod, and a careful choice of others, there will be only ONE suit of Daedric armor scattered across your entire game. Good luck - in 300 hours, I have found the sword. ONLY the sword. It also elminates crafting high end items (and thus eliminates becoming a master smith in a matter of in game days). Really makes exploring for loot worthwhile, and the world much more believable.

-Economics of Skyrim. A must have with Morrowloot. It does to shops what Morrowloot does to loot - and then some. With Morrowloot shops will have the same common gear. With Economics, their gear will change. Want Silver and Dwarven? Markarth is your place to shop. Ebony can be found in the Reach, since its mined there. Stuff like that. Highly recommended.

-Apocalypse Spell PAck: Useful, balanced spells. No over the anime stuff. No nuclear blasters. Numerous spells, from useful Illusion casting to Offensive Alteration and Restoration spells. a must have for mages.

-Dual Wield Parry: Assign a blocking while dual wielding weapons, or while wielding a weapon and spell. Must have mod.

-Immersive Animations: Alters numerous third person animations for realism and to prevent clipping, etc. Must have.

-Immersive Patrols: Imagine skyrim with traveling merchants, Dawnguard/Vampire, Imperial/Thalmor/Stormcloak patrols and wandering, traveling Witchhunters and Bandits. Now, imagine them occasionally running across one another at random places in your travels. That, is this mod. Another must have, and script free!

-Moonpaths to Elswyr: Player made quest. Grab it up.

-Immersive Armor: A lore friendly armor pack that scatters new light - and some heavy - armor across all leveled lists. Makes bandits much more believable, in a lore friendly fashion. Grab this.

-Jaysus Swords/Immersive Weapons: Both great. Load Swords AFTER Immersive Weapons. You still won't get all the weapons from both mods, but you will get ALL the Jaysus swords, and MOST of the other weapons from Immersive. Best of both worlds. All items are lore friendly, though Jaysus is more so. All items will appear in the world, used by a variety of characters in believable fashion.

-Populux (Solitude Only): makes the city of Solitude look like, well...what is should have looked like. Grab it up.

-Docks of Solitude: Load after Populux. Perfectly compatible. Highly recommended.

-The Paarthurnax Dilemma. If you are not familiar with the MQ in Skyrim, get this mod anyway. Don't ask why and just...trust me. You will be glad you did. If you do the main quest all the way through come back and ask me what this changed. You won't believe you had to have a mod to do this, and I really wish I had had one at the time.

-Travellers of Skyrim. Travelling merchants all over skyrim. They are persistent, have real schedules and you can trade and interact with them all over the roads. Perfectly compatible with other traveler/patrol mods.

-Unique Uniques: Makes unique weapons and armor appear unique. Really enhances game play in a small but necessary way.

-Shrine of Azura LOD. So you can see the largest statue in Tamriel from places other than her feet. When you first see it from the mountains East of Darkwater Crossing, you will be glad you have this mod. Load it very early.

-Enhancement gems: 36 or so gems located around Skyrim. When found and activated, they increase one stat - carry weight (white), Magicka (blue), Health (red) or Stamina (green) by 5 points, then vanish. The increase is permanent and you have to explore to find them all. NO quest markers for these. Really adds to the game and gives you a reason to explore.

-Expanded Towns and Cities - Complete. Expands all the backwater towns/villages, except Morthal and Dawnstar. Makes them a believable size, but not too big for realism. Nice mod to have. Also has a modular version. If you get the Fight the Thalmor series of Mods, don't use the Dragonbridge portion of Expanded Towns and Cities.

Best. For. Last:

-Interesting NPC's. I know its over 2GB (there is a torrent) but its highly worth it. Not only is this a quest mod. I have spent hours roaming Skyrim just to listen to the stories and anecdotes of these fully voiced NPC's. Some have real tear jerker tales. Others start quests. Some are hard boiled, gritty mercenaries. And one is...well, its funny as hell, and you'll know it when you find it. With this installed, explore EVERYWHERE. Lonely mountain top Forsworn camps; roadside ruins and towers. Bandit forts, inns, taverns, towns...guilds, even. Look. Everywhere. These NPC's are worth every minute spent listening to their tales and sometimes even participating in their shenanigans. This is not only a must have mod, its a reason to replay Skyrim.

That's it for me so far. Trying out Shadows of Meresis - English Version, and one other quest mod, about the Vigilant of Stendarr now. Have to post about them if they turn as good as I hope.

Most of all, though - make your story your own.

Network Hub
    Be sure the first thing you install is that fxaa injector or whatever that can change colours and either make up your own profile or find one online. Otherwise the game will look like bleached out shit.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    A good place to get a start if you're not sure what you want is to check out Gopher's Skyrim Mod Sanctuary. A lot of the older ones are probably out of date by now, but he does very in-depth descriptions of mods that mostly make sense within the context of Skyrim.

I haven't played Skyrim for a while and haven't stayed up to date on mods, but here's a few from my list (of over 100 mods) I now consider necessary to play the game.

UI:

SkyUI - A more PC oriented UI.

Better Dialogue Controls - Dialogue controls are a bit wonky, this may have been fixed in a game patch or with SkyUI since last I played but if not this will make your life easier.

iHUD
    - Hides the UI out of combat and optionally things you don't want to see in combat as well, very configurable.

Better Sorting
    - Does exactly what the name implies.

Gameplay:

Ultimate Follower Overhaul - Makes followers less annoying (and lets you have more than one if you want).

Follower Trap Safety
    - To avoid this.

Frostfall
    - Makes the weather of Skyrim matter - keep dry and warm or freeze to death. It might sound annoying but it's really well done.

Convenient Horses - Makes horses not crap and annoying. Also lets your followers have horses.

Visuals:

If you've got a good graphics card, play around with ENBs. If you're worried about frame rates check out Imaginator and Dynavision. They let you tweak visuals using the game engine and come with little to no frame rate penalty.

Skyrim Flora Overhaul
    - More varied and prettier vegetation. Since Skyrim is covered with plants this makes a big difference and it's very well done. Careful with the version you choose since the more extreme ones will punish your system.

Static Mesh Improvement Mod
    - Better meshes for lots and lots of things.

Pure Waters - Makes water look nicer. There are more elaborate water mods but this is simple and does the trick and I didn't see any performance hit at all.

Enhanced Lights and FX - Changes lots of indoor light sources, making many static lights dynamic and generally nicer looking.

There are tons of mods that alter character models and textures. The ones I was using don't seem to be available any more but it's still worth checking out since characters do tend to look a bit wonky. Ethereal Elven Overhaul is worth a look if you want elves to look a bit more.. elvish.

Stuff:

As with character mods, there are so many weapon and armour mods that you're probably best off looking through the nexus to find whatever suits you, but here are some I really like.

Nicoroshi Creations - Pretty weapons.

Better Bows - Pretty bows.

Immersive Weapons
    - Lots and lots of weapons. Fits very nicely with Skyrim lore-wise.

Wearable Lanterns
    - A nice alternative to torches and light spells.

aMidianBorn Book of Silence
    - A bunch of nice retextures.

Immersive Armors
    - Lots of Armours that fit very nicely with Skyrim.

Warchief Armor and Einherjar Armor - My two favourite armour mods. I think they're part of Immersive Armors now, but I figured they deserve special mention anyway.

Besides many MODs that were mentioned here, I found the categorized favorites menu to be quite useful.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    All of them! It will be glorious!
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    All of them! It will be glorious!
    I have a feeling RPS posted a thing a ways back for some Bethesda game where the writer took an essentially random bunch of mods and threw them together.

I seem to recall it being entertaining. Anyone remember?
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

If there is just one mod you have to get, it's Interesting NPC's. Makes the world feel so much more interesting and alive.

May have been PC Gamer?

Quote Originally Posted by Raaritsgozilla View Post
    May have been PC Gamer?
    Hmmm. Perhaps.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

Not what I'm looking for, but there's this which is more relevant to the OP, anyway.

Except not really, because shots like that drop your FPS a lot.

I think this is the one you're after then. It was posted in Sunday papers yonks ago.