Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    thanks for the fun last night; managed to put 2 more levels on my guardian, so now only marginally short of the magic level 80.

sorry I wasn't arount till the end but I had some important wood chopping to do
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera
    Steam ID: IHawksbane

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MonkeyMonster's Avatar
    Destroying Rabbits wherever they can be found
    Quote Originally Posted by hawksbane View Post
    sorry I wasn't arount till the end but I had some important wood chopping to do
    Filthy hawk!

A rather large thanks to everyone that came last night: I had some good fun, and given the level of shit that most people had this week I think we did exemplary! So I am optimistically proclaiming a weekly Thursday WvW night with that is mind, should I shift the start time an hour later to the normal RPS event kick off or were you guys happy starting at 8 BST?

---

The Commander's report; as written by Jarnade.

Today we ventured into into the mist, while not numerous we were strong.
    Our first combat was not glorious, but it brought us together and strengthened our resolve.

Our goal was to hound the enemy: nip at their heel and make them trip, and that we did.
    The resource of our enemy slowly declined and the main forces of our land advanced.
    We were steadfast, ready to react to our enemies' movement, and when we were done with one land we moved to the next.
    At time we met with the larger forces of our land and hammered our victory home.

---

The report as written by someone who isn't Norn.

After waiting in Hoelbrak for 14 minutes Saph naturally assumed the role of my second and set himself a trend of saying what I was about to but just that much earlier than I was going to.

We started off taking RoS's on MS. Heading for south camp we were defeated due to the enemy coming in drips and drabs and us not really being prepared to deal with this, but respawn, learn and be thankful you have the outmanned buff when this happens.

After our initial set back we took south camp, and proceeded to take the South West tower, which was closest to the RoS spawn. I noticed some swords in bay and assumed that RoS and MS were going at it. So I decided to try and sabotage RoS's effort. We were met with some resistance at the tower, but with it some coordination for us we got in and took the keep without too much hassle.

We next proceeded to spawn where Starhejm has just arrived. We set of the breakout event and RPS proceeded to cap the the south east camp before rejoining with the commander to take the south east tower. After taking the tower we returned to our strategy of taking anything RoS had on the map. After depleting the RoS foothold we joined up with Star and went onto raid some on the MS stuff, where we failed a number of times to take the northern towers.

After running with Star for a while RPS went back to capping camps and the odd tower where we could. After doing this for a while we headed off to EB for some different action.

With the attack by GH on the RoS BL they had very little forces on EB, I stuck to the strategy of running a tight group, taking camp, and fighting off superior numbers. Targeting the MS camps proved to be rather err interesting. We were able to take the camps, but there seems to be a strategy of having a few people continuously running into the camp and dying to prevent us from capping long enough for the zerg to arrive. In retrospect we should have knocked on the door of their keep before doing this, but we have few numbers, about 4, and sparing one person for such a task seemed unwise given that we needed every person.

After mucking about on EB for long enough without much glorious success by ourselves we moved over to RoS BL, and joined in an assault force to take bay. The outer and inner walls were down, but RoS were putting up a fight for the keep, and really didn't want to let go of it. So we decided to lend MM a helpful hammer to hit RoS in the face with because that keep was ours!

After pushing RoS back to the keep lord we wiped them all, and the circle turned glorious red. And the bar counted 1/3 a blob of RoS reappeared at the way point. We fought tooth and nail, hammer and claw, knowledge and fire. Aliss, quick of wit, jumped on an AC and shot the blob to pieces, I decided to stand steadfast and let them impale themselves on my spiky armour: that didn't go too well, but hey I still had loot bag, and many of them!

After the capping of be we roamed the BL and were joined by Ice for some more camp capping and such. And a failed attempt at garrison I decided to bid the remaining member of the merry trio of Koyne, Ice and I a good night.

And with that a special thanks to Koyne who stayed through the entire event

See you all next week

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Krathor's Avatar
    Sounds like a great night Jarnade. I may even be able to make next Thursday!

If it's reoccurring I'll update the event thread for next week.
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

My GW2 blog that you can follow on Twitter.

Just to remind everyone, and incase anyone has any questions.

WvWvW Night Thursday 20 June.

Time: 8PM BST
    // 7PM GMT

We'll meet at Eastern Watchpost Waypoint before our glorious journey for loot! (And I promise to take screen shots this time :> )

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    Good run last night; no mean feat taking a fully-upgraded Longview and Hills very early in the event!
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

That zerg stopper at SW camp was one of the most satisfying WvW experiences I've recently had. Watching the Arborstone masses stack up and port/rush in had me nearly forget the stack of grenades in my backpack.

Sweets from above! Sweets for everyone!
    Last edited by Squiz; 21-06-2013 at 09:05 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    I had 0 FPS during that because I forgot to set up my levels of detail properly, so I was just standing around on the hill when the fight started. It got better as people started dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Krathor View Post
    I don't mind de-railing this thread a bit - it was left open for a reason!

On Gunnar's, I think a lot of your life as a commander lives and dies by your reputation. Although I don't really do this anymore, I used to play on the community Mumble pretty much every single night after work - even if I finished late. If you build up relationships within the server like that then they stay with you for a long time. Although I now pretty much exclusively command on reset and Saturdays (although that's set to change shortly), people still remember me because I invested a lot of time to begin with.

People think that getting your tag is the first step to commanding a zerg, but really it should be the last step. The first steps are setting out and proving yourself and by holding a weekly event it ensures that you get that exposure. I also recommend popping along to a guild night with SOE or Cry Havoc as we have done before. If you just put everything into listening, not speaking and trusting in the leader of the raid, you'll learn a lot and it also shows that you're humble enough to work under others.

My two cents anyway. I'll make a blog post on this subject some time!

Talking of WvWvW events, we really need to organise a camp in the lake in a middle of a Borderlands with hylek potions!
    Firstly, sorry for switching threads mid convo here, but my response and what I wanted to post here are kind of the same, and now to ignore Duke's post for a little bit.

So I hope everyone had some fun in WvW last night, and got some decent loot.

With that done, I'm mainly going to focus on some introspection here. I was rather disappointed with myself. I really wanted to communicated and effectively tell people what I was doing, and I am rather sure I didn't. I'm not quite sure if it is running in prime time, relying on mumble too much or what, but I really didn't do what I felt was the one of the most fundamental things as a commander: talking to people.

I ran with Catatonic the other day, and it was just kinda wow . . . fluid continual text instructions, you knew what you were doing, and what you were going to do. It was just great as opposed to the arbitrary stick on my tag because it is a tag. On the bright side I know Catatonic is rather veteran, and I have a long way to go.

I would really love to hang out with SOE, and Cry Havoc and go to their WvW nights, and I've had some vague offers from Praxium people that I can tag along. So I suppose I really just need to get in touch with them now and actually go and do this. And otherwise run around with my tag more often. I know I got it so the guild can have fun in WvW, but I would like to be good enough that the guild can have good fun in WvW.

Edit: Kinda forgot one little important thing.

These WvW events are going to improve, so I hope to see you all next week for some more loot :3
    Last edited by Karuji; 21-06-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Network Hub
    Congrats for tagging up and having a go- it sounds like it went off well against the massed ranks of Arborstone which can be an intimidating sight.

My Thursdays are a bit booked up this week/next week but I'll try and make an appearance after that.

It's an interesting time for the server as after a period of people generally disappearing off into their own guild events we're starting to see a bit more server-wide activity with guilds like MM holding some successful open events and initiatives and people seem to respond well to the opportunity. Hopefully this will increase and we can get back to some of the larger casual events we used to do so well.

Hey Karuji,

no need to worry about your performance (harrharr), I think the results of your leadership (taking hills for example) speak for themselves. As I've already mentioned before somewhere, I have no idea about commanding, but I am sure that you'll get more effective over time. Managing to keep an eye on the map, keeping in mind movement of enemy as well as friendly forces, having a rough idea about supply and also timers and what the gods know else can be pretty overwhelming I suppose.

Learning from others probably is a good way to get some general ideas about what to do, but I'd love to see you develop your own style of commanding. Maybe you'll come up with some great strategies or movement patterns that noone has thought of before, maybe you find a way to irritate the enemy by doing irrational things, who knows.

After all, we are RPS, we have our own ways of getting things done.

Network Hub
    From what I've seen of various commanders I'd say the important things to learn are:

- having a sense of the overall map direction- who's taking what and what are they likely to hit next so you can pre-empt them or cap something of greater value while they're busy

- depending on your playstyle you might want to practice herding you crew into tight formations- CHvc and SOE are good examples of stacking, buffing and staying together to ensure your group outlasts the enemy and hits with most impact

- being able to update map chat while autorunning is very handy for keeping the local players and the overall map informed of your location and targets- if you can't do this then nominating someone on voicecomms to update is a good move, especially when you get suppressed. Gwynn is a good example of an effective PUG commander who keeps his cool and updates/delegates comms well

- keeping calm seems to be the hard bit as it can be stressful especially when it's all going wrong. Having some experienced people around to back you up helps a lot, and as Roo says never start handing out blame for stuff going wrong and always be positive to your minions even if you're getting wiped repeatedly

WvW is generally unbalanced and there's a lot of randomness going on so plans are always susceptible to complete failure but most players accept this (apart from certain types in EB or whereever). Just having a tag on the map is a big help towards getting people to winning points and learning effective leading beyond that is a bonus so it's all good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Krathor's Avatar
    Yeah I agree with the guys above. Don't beat yourself up too much either Jarnade; the folks here will testify that while my runs before I got my tag were quite successful, my first week after getting my tag was possibly the worst WvWvW week of my life haha. Just really keep hitting those maps and gaining that exposure. I admit that I'm actually a terrible person to learn from because my commanding depends almost entirely on luck and instinct - but I think if you pretty much live in WvWvW for a while you pick up cues as to where to go and what to do when commanding.

If you fire Fab a /w sometime I'm sure he'll gladly let you tag along - you are [RPS] after all! Same goes for Praxium and Klaev.

And... yeah, Icepop pretty much said everything perfectly in his post. The fantastic thing is that [RPS] is great at WvWvW and full of experienced folks who will support you if things go tits up. Seriously Jarnade, just keep pushing and you'll go far.
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

My GW2 blog that you can follow on Twitter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Thanks for tagging up and leading us to loot bags yesterday Jarnade. Good night considering our numbers, don't be hard on yourself. Cap of hills was great. Same time next week?
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

Network Hub
    As a little zergling running with the horde, I'd say the most important part of a commander is the communication to the group. I tend to lose sight of my surroundings when concentrating on staying alive amidst the chaos of clashing zergs, so I depend on the commander to tell me when to attack and when to retreat. The same for simply running somewhere: constant updates on where we're going makes me confident I'm going the right way. Especially with randomers, you should keep giving orders so everyone is going in the same direction. Use the chat as much as speech: when with a slightly larger group, expect that not everyone will hear your Mumbling (I know I did not use Mumble for quite some time before discovering its usefulness).
    (Also, when commanding over Mumble, use your voice! Raise your volume and inspire confidence: you sometimes sounded a bit unsure about your own plans, which made it confusing when they were changed.)

If you plan to stick primarily with smaller groups and/or unconventional tactics using tight organisation, I'd also advice you to read Sun Tzu's Art of War. Many of his remarks are applicable to anything possibly seen as a fight, and WvW is a perfect opportunity to put century-old Chinese wisdom in practice. To name a few: hit the valuable targets or those they don't expect you to attack, so they are forced to act how you dictate; know the layout of the map and where you want to fight and where to run to/from; know your own strengths and weaknesses, as well as the enemy's; strike when they are unprepared or in the middle of organising themselves; and make extensive use of scouts to know what's going on and where the enemy forces are (for organised WvW-events, you could consider sending a few scouts in ahead of the main group - like 15 minutes prior - so they can give information on the situation once you start commandering).

In any case, I'm looking forward to the next conquest! I propose we take the Blacktide Garrison this time. Because of its strategical value of course, and certainly not because of some unviewed Vista's and an undiscovered Point of Interest. That would be an absurd motivation for assaulting such structures.

Vlup rather epic ^5 for that post, Monkey PMed me something rather similar a while back. Though I kind of realized most of this when I was just mulling over how the events went. And I sound unsure because I am, or should I say was unsure

The art of war is part of a list of books that I really need to read (Catcher in the Rye, The Iliad & Odyssey as also rather high on the list)

Also weirdly enough I was actually thinking of running though Blacktide's BL they are for more precious of it than WSR so capping it would make me feel rather happy.

---

As a more general response I see quite a few people were trying to console me about commanding. I hope I didn't worry you too much. I tend to be quite hard on myself, but I like that. I like pushing myself to grow, and the introspection and analysis in such a public manner was in hope that I would have a critical response like Vlupius's, but I thank you all for your kind words.

As an aside my net is going through one of it's wonky phases. So commanding should be all the more interesting on Thursday, though I am probably going to run tagless: there is a certain amount of hassle of commanding running a Ninja style group at the same time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tweetiti's Avatar
    What an epic night, the end battle was so much fun with all those enemies coming at us endlessly. Shame SOE had to pull out at the end.
    Tweetiti but also (ex Knickers) Burlesque Galore, Melons of Steel and Liltweetie
    Subscribe to our RPS_GW2 Twitter: twitter.com/rps_gw2

Won't be able to lead tonight's WvW event unfortunately as I'm going to be at work until late in the evening. Fersu/Duke would you be able to pick this up?
    [GW2] The Blackfyre clan: Aliss (Guardian) Alyss (Mesmer) Lyss (Engineer) and others.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by noaru View Post
    Won't be able to lead tonight's WvW event unfortunately as I'm going to be at work until late in the evening. Fersu/Duke would you be able to pick this up?
    Sure Alyiss np should be on this evening.

Network Hub
    05/07/13 After action report "We few, we brave few, we merry band of brothers" or 10 RPS and the Derper

DZ BL was the focus of our efforts of the evening, little known to us would be how rapid and ferocious the enemy response would be as a few brave RPS'ers zoned into the battle eternal.

Leadership of the evening fell to myself Fersum, with Duke offering his head as a blunt object for when we decided to ram our way into places. We initially got involved in a skirmish round Briar with HT, in the mix the enemy had too few to hold us and it was successfully capped.

There then proceeded some comm's issues with the HT forces on the field were we where ordered to man 5 AC's in Briar and help Greyhawk stack. After careful consultation and consideration between Duke and myself we decided that AC's were not the best way to cap bay and i politely declined and moved our forces to the next stage of our assault..............

A mass dc from the BL..... our forces where scattered across the realms, a shout arose that the other BL's where open. Bay in our BL was under attack from the massed ranks of AG and AG BL was open for attack, after some initial splintering of our squad between to the two BL's, DZ came back up in time and we reformed and rushed back to vale.

We resumed the stab at a T3 south bay attempting to give them a fistful of 5 Superior Trebs from vale, we got to 3 and the wall to around 40%, before they started pushing us back with superior numbers Fury arrived in their usual style and rolled over the 1st assault with hardly a blink of the eye, but then alas they disappeared and the second assault rolled into value overwhelming the brave few then Fury rolled back in but not before all our hard work on getting the Trebs up was burned to the ground by the enemy forces.

So we headed off into the lake and northwards bound with the intent to have a push towards Crag. From here it turned into a near successful cap of a T3 Crag in the circle but the brave few where overrun by superior numbers.

Throughout the course of the to and fro across the map a trickle of RPS and some MM reinforcements arrived Alyss and Jar at that point Duke with a sore head from all that battering called it an early night.....

My blood was up and I was determined to get our brave fighters a tower cap or 2 before calling it a night, we charged in with Seigegrazer and capped the Brair and then Lake quickly fell to our efforts, along with the south camps. Donye and some MM support arrived on the map at the close of the evening but the story for RPS's adventures that evening ended there.

All in all for a frustratingly limited evening our brave few worked well together with some great small squad fights and attacks on towers on a difficult night (as per the rest of the week on this matchup) only to be beaten back by the superior numbers the DZ'ers where able to field.

Thanks to all that showed up, i might not have sounded that enthusatic at the end of the night, but it was a blast and impressed by how we worked together and the success's we had.

PS before we logged off we discovered that they hadn't bothered repairing the South wall at bay....... sadly we where out of time to try and assist the wall in falling.

Look forward to see you all out there on the bloody fields of battle, helping us crave new story's of RPS into the enemy ranks.

PPS, i don't believe i slipped off any cliff edges this time....... (or pushed off them ^^) ill let u decide.

Cheers Fersum
    Last edited by fersumengin; 05-07-2013 at 02:52 PM.