Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar

Screenshot utility for both desktop and games?

I used Lightscreen for years and it worked perfectly well for both desktop and screenshots, but at some point screenshots of games (both DX and OpenGL, I think) started turning out blank. Faststone Capture (the last free version) has the same problem. I'm not sure it's due to differences between Vista and Win8 or if something else changed, but it's rather annoying.

For example, right now I have to remember to quit Faststone before I start World of Tanks in case I need to make screenshots because FS overrides WoT's screenshot function, so if I forget to quit FS, I end up with blank screenshots (worse, you can't just alt-tab out of WoT and quit FS; none of the screenshot functions work then). And when I quit WoT, I then have to start FS again, in case I need to take screenshots of something on the desktop.

So I'm looking for something that works for everything. It should use few resources, preferably support the PrtScrn key, and, important, have configurable filenaming (so I can have it save the screenshots with proper YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS date/time format and not, for example, the wonky US format which doesn't sort. Or worse, just having it save things as 'screenshot_01, _02' etc., like Win8's builtin screenshot function, so I have to rename things later).

Any recommendations?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    I used Lightscreen for years and it worked perfectly well for both desktop and screenshots, but at some point screenshots of games (both DX and OpenGL, I think) started turning out blank. Faststone Capture (the last free version) has the same problem. I'm not sure it's due to differences between Vista and Win8 or if something else changed, but it's rather annoying.

For example, right now I have to remember to quit Faststone before I start World of Tanks in case I need to make screenshots because FS overrides WoT's screenshot function, so if I forget to quit FS, I end up with blank screenshots (worse, you can't just alt-tab out of WoT and quit FS; none of the screenshot functions work then). And when I quit WoT, I then have to start FS again, in case I need to take screenshots of something on the desktop.

So I'm looking for something that works for everything. It should use few resources, preferably support the PrtScrn key, and, important, have configurable filenaming (so I can have it save the screenshots with proper YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS date/time format and not, for example, the wonky US format which doesn't sort. Or worse, just having it save things as 'screenshot_01, _02' etc., like Win8's builtin screenshot function, so I have to rename things later).

Any recommendations?
    Try something like EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner. They are free, they have configurable keys, have the naming format you describe (with the name of the game in front, so RememberMe.exe YYYYMMM etc, and they can take .png, .jpg and I think .bmp. They also record video. That's what I use, the only problem is when you use for example ENBs, you have to remember to close Afterburner since they don't play well. There is a workaround but doesn't always work. They don't do sorting though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kataras View Post
    Try something like EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner. They are free, they have configurable keys, have the naming format you describe (with the name of the game in front, so RememberMe.exe YYYYMMM etc,
    yeh, it just suffers from the put-underscores-everywhere-for-no-good-reason syndrome which makes for very long filenames, so I will have to rename things.
    I do like having the name of the exe in front, though.

and they can take .png, .jpg and I think .bmp.
    yes, I noticed. I prefer PNG for screenshots, but it's nice to be able to use BMP if PNG saving causes a slight pause like it often does.

They also record video. That's what I use, the only problem is when you use for example ENBs, you have to remember to close Afterburner since they don't play well. There is a workaround but doesn't always work. They don't do sorting though.
    Thanks. It'll work for now, I think.

Odd that it is so difficult to find a good utility for this.