Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar

Thoughts on Windows 8?

Is anyone using Windows 8? I'm building a new PC (this one is all fucked up) and deciding whether to get W7 or 8. I'm aware of the hate for Windows 8 online, but the few people I've talked to who are actually running it didn't have too many complaints. So I figured I'd ask your opinions.

If anyone is interested in new PC specs:

I7-3770k
    GTX 770
    32 GB ram DDR3 1600
    ASRock Z77 mobo
    128GB SSD for OS (I've got about 10TB of HDDs to put in there for storage/games)
    Cooler Master HAF 932 case + Hyper 212 CPU cooler and some extra case fans.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    You'll get two answers -
    1 - It's faster and it's fine but Metro is a pain.
    2 - NO I HATE IT BECAUSE BLAH

I've been using it since the RTM, and apart from the Start screen it's just a faster Win7 with slightly better out of the box compatibility (like USB3 support without 3rd party drivers). Once you get over the fact that the Start screen is just a really big Start menu, it's fine. The Metro apps are pretty bad for a desktop PC but the simple answer is to just not use them - the only one you need to touch sometimes is the Settings app (Control Panel is still fully functional though), the rest you can ignore and unpin if you like (I don't use any of them at all).

If I have one complaint, it's that the Charms bar could use a dedicated button, I'm not a fan of the hot corners and it's not as responsive as the Start corner.

Also to head anyone off at the pass - no, Win8.1 will not come with a Start Menu. They're just adding in a button to take you to the Start screen, and letting you boot straight to desktop.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    To me Metro isn't even a pain any more, there's nothing that a few minutes playing around with it won't solve and after that it's been mostly plain sailing. It's not great, but it's not really awful either.

Aside from that though, I really like 8. It's extremely fast to boot, running off an SSD it takes me literally 10 seconds to boot into the desktop. Also, it runs quickly and seems compatible with almost everything (I know Hotline Miami had some weird issue, but I think it's fixed)

If you're willing to spend a little extra to get it, I'd say shoot.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Yeah, I think I'll just get it then.

Question about 8.1 though, what do you mean by "boot straight to desktop"? What does it boot to now?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    It opens up to the Metro screen. You just click desktop and it takes you there instantly though.
    steam: sketch

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    To me Metro isn't even a pain any more, there's nothing that a few minutes playing around with it won't solve and after that it's been mostly plain sailing. It's not great, but it's not really awful either.
    To be honest I prefer the Start screen now, it's basically a second desktop strewn with app icons that goes away when I don't need it.

Everything else about Metro is bad for desktops though, it's a touch screen UI with poorly adapted controls for mice, like a bad console port. Mouse gestures should never have been in. For touchpads? That's fine. For mice? Not a good cup of cheese if you understand what I mean.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    If I have one complaint, it's that the Charms bar could use a dedicated button, I'm not a fan of the hot corners and it's not as responsive as the Start corner.
    Windows Key + C?

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    Windows Key + C?
    Yes, I know. It's still not ideal.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I've had it for about 6 months. Overall I really like it. I prefer metro and i don't need a start button. I rarely use the charms bar though.
    It lacks a bit of polish in some places, but it has very nice polish in others. It sounds like 8.1 will fix most of the polish problems and give a few cool options like skydrive sync.

My only real issue has been a lack of decent 'apps' in the awful app store. And problems wil opengl on old ATi laptop cards. And that my apps launch inexplicably slowly. But since there aren't many decent apps that doesn't actually matter. I guess it's a compatibility issue with my rig though.

I rather like having my pc start on the metro interface as it gives me a quick overview of things like weather, email, news etc before clicking on the desktop.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Once you get over the fact that the Start screen is just a really big Start menu, it's fine. The Metro apps are pretty bad for a desktop PC but the simple answer is to just not use them - the only one you need to touch sometimes is the Settings app (Control Panel is still fully functional though), the rest you can ignore and unpin if you like (I don't use any of them at all).
    I've heard some good things about Windows 8's performance, but I've always had a hard time getting anywhere I wanted on the Xbox and Playstation UI, so I'm definitely not looking for an OS that makes it harder for me to get around to the things I want, or that claims it knows better how to organize my files than I do. Unfortunately most YouTube reviews and discussions of Windows 8 are pretty much limited to (praising) that awful tablet screen, but what this suggests to me is that on the Desktop view you can essentially use Windows 8 in the same was as earlier versions worked, with proper windowed applications, the traditional folders/file explorer etc.? Is it, in that sense, a bit like the forgettable Vista Media Center?
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    but what this suggests to me is that on the Desktop view you can essentially use Windows 8 in the same was as earlier versions worked, with proper windowed applications, the traditional folders/file explorer etc.? Is it, in that sense, a bit like the forgettable Vista Media Center?
    Pretty much. I spent maybe 5 minutes in that interface on 1st install, then about 5 seconds on each boot while I click on the desktop icon. From that point on, it behaves like 7, only quicker and with a much improved explorer (Windows Explorer, not IE.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    Unfortunately most YouTube reviews and discussions of Windows 8 are pretty much limited to (praising) that awful tablet screen, but what this suggests to me is that on the Desktop view you can essentially use Windows 8 in the same was as earlier versions worked, with proper windowed applications, the traditional folders/file explorer etc.
    yes, like this:

Except for the lack of the Start menu, it's essentially the same as in the past.

Win8 is fast (I never tried win7 so I can't compare with that, but win8 is certainly by far the fastest Windows I've ever tried) and I've had one bluescreen in six months, so it's very stable on my system.

Metro is idiotic for a desktop, but you learn to deal with it. The start screen in itself isn't so bad, just a bit pointless and for me it's certainly not preferable over a Start menu (I don't use those apps at all). The hot corner stuff is annoying, especially the right side bar (is that the charms thing?), not only because it doesn't have anything of much use in it, but it's too easy to trigger by accident.

There's also been some shuffling of keyboard shortcuts for no apparent reason. The main thing I run into is that Windows key + Space now changes the keyboard layout, but something else does too (and it's not listed anywhere), so I often find that it's switched to Danish keyboard layout rather than the English one I use 99% of the time. I don't imagine that's a problem very many people run into, though.

All in all, I would say that the speed of Win8 alone makes it fairly easy to deal with the annoyances it has.

ETA: Also, it's the first Windows I've tried that you can turn into a proper English version when you have some localized version of it. That was a very pleasant surprise.
    Last edited by Similar; 14-07-2013 at 06:53 PM. Reason: right left right left...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Thanks for the responses and screenshot. I'd been looking at upgrading my SSD on which Windows 7 is installed, and figured it was as good a time as any to switch to Windows 8. I think I might just do that.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18