Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    244

    IP being blocked on main site

    Because it apparently harvested 1 email address over 4 years. https://www.projecthoneypot.org/ip_92.251.255.11
    If you're going to try fight spam on the front page, don't do it incompetently with shit tools

    Cheers!

  2. #2
    Obscure Node CaseK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1
    You might get a better response if you were less of a dick.

  3. #3
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Easy solution: Stop harvesting emails.

    :D
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  4. #4
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseK View Post
    You might get a better response if you were less of a dick.
    I'd be less of a dick if they used a less idiotic system. None of the main spam list sites have this IP blocked, just this shitty project honeypot.

  5. #5
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2
    The spam "protection" on RPS is insane. Half the time I can't even connect in read only mode when using a VPN. Just get a page about project honeypot blocked your access. I can understand blocking people who you think are spammers from posting, but why would you block them from even viewing the site?

    Goes without saying I have never spammed anyone.

  6. #6
    Obscure Node kirrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Planet Earth.
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
    Because it apparently harvested 1 email address over 4 years. https://www.projecthoneypot.org/ip_92.251.255.11
    If you're going to try fight spam on the front page, don't do it incompetently with shit tools
    Cheers!
    Unfortionately, spammers seem to think that RPS makes a great target for spam. Using project honeypot has actually helped reduce the amount of inbound spam tonns ;)

    Usually, if suspicious activity is 'seen' from your IP, it means your ip has been infected with a bot-net virus. More information about them here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botnet

    Please run a comprehensive virus scan of your computer. Email me (johnathon@positive-internet.com) once you have done so and I'll add your IP to the whitelist.

    In the meantime, I'll look into tuning the blocking software.

  7. #7
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,636
    It's a little crazy, the spam protection via honeypot.

    I connect through TOR not infrequently. It will normally let me view the front page and articles. Occasionally it won't, but a single refresh normally fixes that (so is my IP blocked or not Honeypot? You seem unclear). However any articles past the first page or two are normally blocked for any amount of refreshes (sometimes on the 10th it gets through).

    If I have the cheek to log in though, on my account that I've made countless not-spam posts, THEN I cannot read anything, not even the front page. So I can't even log out. I'm honestly amazed it actually helps, as its so bizzarely incosistent as to make no sense at all.

  8. #8
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,030
    Does TOR randomise the exit IP? It sounds like it.

    I haven't tried RPS with a VPN yet, but I've always wondered if VPNs would be used by spammers.

    It does seem that blocking access to the posting page would be the best solution, though i don't know how easy that is to achieve.

  9. #9
    Obscure Node kirrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Planet Earth.
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    It's a little crazy, the spam protection via honeypot.

    I connect through TOR not infrequently. It will normally let me view the front page and articles. Occasionally it won't, but a single refresh normally fixes that (so is my IP blocked or not Honeypot? You seem unclear). However any articles past the first page or two are normally blocked for any amount of refreshes (sometimes on the 10th it gets through).

    If I have the cheek to log in though, on my account that I've made countless not-spam posts, THEN I cannot read anything, not even the front page. So I can't even log out. I'm honestly amazed it actually helps, as its so bizzarely incosistent as to make no sense at all.
    That inconsistentcy is caused by the caching system, from a technical standpoint, it makes sense. If you want to make sure you get through, try clearing your cookies. There will still be a small chance you'll get blocked, but only a small chance.

    Unfortionately, TOR is used to try to hack RPS, and to try to spam RPS, since it's anonymous. I would reccomend an alternative anonymising solution, such as a VPN if you need one, it's likely to be more secure in any case.

  10. #10
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    10
    To much hard animal porn :D

  11. #11
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    13
    Why shouldn't people be dicks to RPS? Give as good as you get, mate.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •