• Wednesday

1 10.00%
  • Saturday

2 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Activated Node

PvP training night anyone?

OK so here's the deal: I know there's a handful of us in RPS who've done a lot of sPvP/tPvP, but I suspect that there's a lot more people who want to try it out but either hate playing on their own or find the whole setup too fast and confusing. So, while I consider myself far from an expert at this, I'm willing to run training groups for people less experienced than me.

I can run a tournament team for anyone who's interested in learning (if there's less than 5 of us it'll group us up with puggies). We WILL lose a lot with an inexperienced team but I don't mind my rating tanking, it's not exactly stratospheric anyway... If another pvp regular is willing to help out and lead another team then we can even make 2 groups, and if we get 10-16 people we can instead take over an entire hotjoin server on our own and kill each other with impunity!

All you need to join is mumble, a mic, and a bit of a thick skin as it can get a bit brutal in there! Anyone interested please post to say what night would best suit you. I'm not available Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays (reset night), but can be around any other night

Activated Node
    I've been watching a lot of tournies and have actually been getting pretty invested in tPvP. Only really know thief at the moment but i'd love to do this.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    I'll be up for some sPvP, but i'll be online fairly patchily over the next few weeks so can't commit do a specific day.
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tweetiti's Avatar
    I'm happy to try again some PvP from time to time if I'm around but I must say the repetitiveness of doing the same map over and over gets old after a while. Or maybe I was only expose to one side of PvP and I'm happy to discover other aspects of it.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweetiti View Post
    I'm happy to try again some PvP from time to time if I'm around but I must say the repetitiveness of doing the same map over and over gets old after a while. Or maybe I was only expose to one side of PvP and I'm happy to discover other aspects of it.
    The maps in team tournaments are on rotation, but it only changes on Tuesdays and Fridays. I'm not sure why's that actually. I wouldn't mind playing a different map every game.
    GW2: Eknurr (Lvl 80 Engi), Elaina Mischievous (Lvl 80 Ranger), Neeaha (Lvl 80 Mesmer), Bald Carl (Lvl 80 Guardian)

Activated Node
    I agree having the same map for 3 days is repetitive, but people doing pvp as "srs bznss" want to be able to build for the map they'll be playing on, so you can't have random maps. I think they could change it more frequently though, maybe even once a day.
    But hey, there's alwaays hotjoin for when you get bored, that's always fun

Hey, I am interested in joining you as well. Tuesdays seem like a good fit for me, although I cannot guarantee that I can join the squad every week (which would be ideal I guess). I'll see what sources of solid PvP info I can dig up, we probably should familiarize ourselves with roles, builds, basic strategies and such.

Concerning classes, I would be ok with filling what gaps there might be. Bunker/roamer should be fine, not a big fan of the Thief class though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The idea of sPvP fills me with inexplicable dread. I mean its taken me 6 months to get into WvW, where my aging reflexes are hidden by the safety in numbers of the zerg.
    I think its the fear of being beaten soundly by people a third of my age, thousands of miles away whose parents are less cruel than me and let them practice video games all day instead of only being allowed on the Wii for half an hour if they've done their homework.
    That said, if we get enough numbers that it's just RPS vs RPS, then I just might be tempted.
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

I dislike tPvP for that reason as well, it's usually organized teams that just trample you because they've been playing those maps like mad and they have specs and tactics for them.

What is fun though is when we get all of RPS on a pub server and we can just keep it in the family... it usually degenerates into a team-deathmatch style kinda match rather than objective oriented, which is great
    [GW2] The Blackfyre clan: Aliss (Guardian) Alyss (Mesmer) Lyss (Engineer) and others.

Activated Node
    Well guys I don't think we'll have enough people to take over a hotjoin server and keep it in the family, so if you're joining be prepared to do it in Tournaments. If we went hotjoin as a group we'd be split up between the two teams randomly, so it won't be any good as a training event. I know it's a brutal environment for newbies, but hey, you can't learn to swim in a puddle, can you.

However, it's not nearly as bad as you all think. Let me relieve you of a few misconceptions:

1. Invincible premades:
    I'm the highest ranked member of the guild and I'm a PATHETIC 74%. Our average rating will be even lower, so it's VERY UNLIKELY we'll be matched against any decent teams. Not unless there's a fluke and only Made In Meta join at the same time as us. In fact, any premades we come up against at a rating as low as ours will be composed of players with SUCH LOW INDIVIDUAL SKILL that not even being a premade with voice comms has managed to get them to climb the ladder! The people behind the keyboard are probably bumping into the furniture! I mean it happens that you get matched up against great teams, but not often.

2. Awesome players a third your age:
    OK, get on mumble, bring a mic, communicate. If we talk to each other we'll be able to dominate the map through positioning. Nobody's so good that he can beat 3 people coming at him. If you see someone you can't beat coming at you, run away, call for reinforcements. Also, if you see a friend downed, interrupt stompers and revive. I mean EVERYONE revive. And remember that killing an enemy auto-revives any downed allies, so if you can kill someone before the stompers get to your friend (and remember quickness speeds up stomp speed too), go for it! Decent teamwork will give you the edge over people who are better than you individually. Of course it'll take us a while to get used to playing together so don't expect to be dominating straight away.

3. Twitchy gaming:
    I don't have great reflexes either, I'm 34. If you're finding your class/build is too twitchy for you, maybe you should switch? Some classes are just a bit easier to get into, whether because they have better passive traits that don't need a skill activation to save you (eg elementalist), or because they're naturally tougher and give you a slightly bigger window to react to things (like guardian). Although if you're completely new to pvp it's best to stick to a class you know, it's tough having to learn the maps and game mode while also getting to grips with a totally new build.

Aye, I think we should get as many people down to Saturday as possible. I think as soon as people get exposed to playing with other members of [RPS], they'll understand how fun SPVP can be. ;D
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

My GW2 blog that you can follow on Twitter.

Activated Node
    Hey folks, I reckon I should be back to run this around 1800GMT/1900BST, and we'll keep going until we get bored! Or until we get kicked out for the patch. If I'm a little bit late I'm sure either Duke or Noaru can run a couple games till I get there

We'll be on RPS mumble, PLEASE install it and log in even if you don't have a mic, cause the idea is for us to learn and that's a lot easier if you can hear your teammates explaining what to do! Setup will be similar to Saturday, ie. if we get significantly more than 5 we'll take over a hotjoin server and fight against each other, otherwise we'll form a tournament team.

If you're in any doubt about what build to bring choose something tanky - it makes learning the game mode easier if you don't have to worry about being burst down by a thief in 2"

Beginners welcome, in fact BEGINNERS ENCOURAGED AND PRIORITISED (we'll rotate the more experienced people out).

I'll come, but probably a bit later than 7pm UK time. Probably on my Engi or Guardian, I need practice on those.

How'd this go then? Thinking of a regular night Corn?
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

My GW2 blog that you can follow on Twitter.

I think it didn't happen.

Obscure Node
    I'd love to do some non yoloqueue tpvp, as in my "lofty" ranking of 77% I keep running into obvious premades which takes the fun out of things. So, if this thing is possibly on again some time, then I'd be quite keen on that.

Activated Node
    Haven't checked this thread in a few days, sorry! Basically I logged in (15' late admittedly) and gave a shout-out in guild chat, but everyone was busy with the new patch content, doing aetherblade instances and the like, so we decided to postpone it. I was pretty keen to try out the necro patch changes anyway, so wasn't massively disappointed to be honest...

But yes, it will be a regular thing, so I'll be back shouting in guild chat again on Tuesday, 1800GMT/1900BST! Unless that's too early for most people, got no problem hosting it later if more people would be able to make it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    I hope to make it along tonight though I may be late.

On the topic of sPvP. I've just been looking at the official forums. Good god, the QQing about necros is crazy. Are they really that OP? Every class got buffs and it's very hard for me to see how one new skill and access to burning on a 30-point trait can somehow propel the class ahead of the pack. It really seems like a vicious circle: a tiny perception of OP-ness is leading everyone to play necro, leading to an increase in perception of OP-ness, leading to...etc.

Worse, the most likely outcome is that we'll be hit with the nerf bat and then be even worse in PvE than we were before. (RIP PvP/PvE skill splits...)

In fact, people are calling for a general nerf of conditions. If that goes through without a PvE/PvP split, it kill off PvE condition builds for good.
    Last edited by jha4ceb; 02-07-2013 at 01:10 PM.
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tweetiti's Avatar
    It's decided I'm bringing my strip... err necro tonight
    Tweetiti but also (ex Knickers) Burlesque Galore, Melons of Steel and Liltweetie

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    It's weird, there are already some skills with an amount of pvp/pve split (I remember looking at a guardian skill I forget which had a different duration buff applied to each pvx and I'm sure there's a few more), but there just isn't enough of it.