Activated Node

Tips on leading a pub squad

Despite putting it off since beta, a couple of friends joining finally convinced me to bite the bullet and join the outfit yesterday. Glad I did, good banter from the get-go, with just the right mix of decent organisation and headless chicken-running.

With Miller now being the recommended server and given the discussion here, a valiant attempt was made at running an RPS public squad. It didn't go particularly well though - when I left there were 8 members, 6 of whom were RPS anyway. As I'm a fully certed SL who's been running only in pubs since the beginning, I thought I'd dispense some sage wisdom for getting a decent pub squad/platoon up and going.

- Ensure that both enable recruitment is on, and that the private squad box is unticked (private squad was left ticked on the pub squad yesterday)

- The SL should hang round the WG at first using the commo rose on 'Q' to send invites to every player they see without an outfit tag. Acceptance rate varies hugely, and some of those who do accept will be idiots. Doesn't matter at first, you're looking to build numbers so your squad doesn't look pathetically small on the squad selection screen and appears near the top.

- The magic number to ensure people join your squad is around 7 or 8 folk; any less and not so many people will join up, once you breach it you'll be up to full squad capacity fairly quickly. Keep inviting any outfit-less players you see if you're below capacity.

- Ensure as many people as possible have voice comms turned on, even if they're not using a mic. The amount of people who have all voice chat disabled is pretty damned high. Don't be a pushy arse about it, but a few friendly reminders in the squad text chat work wonders. You can see who has voice comms enabled in the 'Voice and Chat' section of the Social page.

- When you have a decent core squad, start kicking those folk who spend all their time on the opposite side of the map from your WP. Once again, a few friendly reminders in text chat and over voice that people should stick together or they'll be kicked, then give them a timed ultimatum. This should ensure you soon end up with 11 people who actually listen to you and go where you tell them.

- If you value your sanity, hope to God Stefan1978GER doesn't join and start talking.

- The more communication you put out, the more you can generally expect to receive, so keep talking/typing. Don't go overboard though, yet again see Stefan1978GER for a prime example of why that's bad. Listen if one of your members is saying something, keep an eye out for tells and, if you're up for it, regularly put a message in text chat telling new players it's cool to ask you for advice. A few 'GGs' and words of encouragement after kicking some arse tend to go down well.

- If you want to start a platoon and nobody from the outfit wants to be an SL, don't be afraid of asking if any of the pubs want to do it. Unsurprisingly most will say either "no" or nothing, but generally if they're game for it they'll do a decent job; just make sure they're dropping their beacons and updating their WPs.

If you guys had been running pub squads I'd have probably joined the outfit yonks ago. As it stands, the only outfits that run consistently okay pub/semi-pub squads and platoons are DIG and MDK, so there's a shitload of room for improvement. If you want an object lesson in how not to behave, go play with the EMLD guys for a bit.

Despite that though, pub squads in my experience have been pretty good and not particularly hard to lead provided you keep on top of things. It's hardly like you guys are in dire need of new recruits, but some helpful, friendly leadership should hopefully encourage more new players to stick around, and even if they're not interested in joining the outfit they still might end up always choosing your pub squad if they had fun in it before.

Apologies for the gargantuan length, hope some of it's useful.

Thank you very much, that's very helpful. I was planning on trying to be a public platoon leader (probably not this week though) and this gives me a much better idea on how to make it works.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    That was helpful, thanks. Worth clarifying a couple of points about last night's squad though:

Recruitment was initially set up correctly and we got a couple of pubbies in. At some point I realised the usual recruitment bug had done its thing and we had lost our squad name etc so I recorrected it. I agree though that inviting randoms at the WG is useful to build momentum (since RPS folk were mostly not keen to join, though thanks to those that did).

We eventually got just over a full squad of actual publics but it took a while. 8 is definitely a tipping point for recruitment.

In your experience how much does it matter if the bravo SL doesn't have a beacon? I got no response at all last night from the pubbies so considered just making one of them bravo lead regardless.

P.S. Could a moderator perhaps merge this thread with the existing one about TVA public platoons?
    P.P.S. No need - I'd forgotten that this thread is also useful for the Traitors.
    Last edited by WallyTrooper; 19-06-2013 at 12:03 PM. Reason: typing on a phone
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Activated Node
    It might well have been a bug on the squad screen, I just noticed the "Private Squad" box was ticked even though recruitment was enabled. Glad it picked up though, sorry I couldn't stick around.

Designating a random SL's fine, just stick down the Platoon WP and people tend to keep running at it. SLs not having a beacon is an inconvenience to their squad members, but it's not too much of a problem. Given not too many people in pubs have maxed out beacons (if at all) anyway they're not as useful as they can be in an outfit, and you can still squad spawn every couple of minutes.

One other thing that can work well when you have a large platoon is keeping an eye on who's active in comms or visibly working in a team. It's a good idea to move them to Alpha and direct them more tactically using squad WPs and chat, leaving everyone else to mini-zerg on the platoon WP.

And apologies for the new thread - I knew I should've stuck this in the public platoon one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyTrooper View Post
    P.S. Could a moderator perhaps merge this thread with the existing one about TVA public platoons?
    I dunno, these tips are quite useful for traitors too. Definitely gonna try the Q-inviting thing next time I'm running a squad.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Yeah i agree with mickygor, and can add a different reason : tva platoon thread is bound to grow, and theses tips would get lost, so i would prefer to have it as a separate thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Fair point, I always forget about the Traitors (sorry!). I retract my comment (will edit above post to avoid confusion too).
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Thanks for this.

Especially the point about checking who has voice on. I'd forgotten about that. I use the same screen to check who is in leader chat (even if they're not using it) so I can get an idea of what outfits are running squads, it hadn't occured to me to check for voice during pub platoons.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG