Activated Node

From Dust, a bumpy PC landing

So I've been looking forward to this one and so far (1hr in) it's as expected. Post play, I mentioned to someone how not-great the mouse controls were. Thought I'd check to see if this was common consensus on the ubi board and looks like this delayed PC version is getting some stick:

>Crashes.
    >Locked to 30 fps.
    >General Anti-DRM bile

but the only game affecting one is:

>The icky mouse scroll.

Curious to see if any RPS peeps find it ok/great/wtf

Network Hub
    I've just bought it likewise played it for an hour, it just lacks...lacks....lacks

Oh well another game which doesn't live up to expectations. It is pretty and quite interesting but feels like another horrible port. Controlls are pretty terrible and I absolutely hate having that UPLAY thing, so now I log into steam and then log into UPLAY. Kinda wishing I pirated it now.

How much freedom do you have? I've read that it's not really a god game and more of a puzzle game, but to what extent? Are there prescribed steps that you have to follow, or are you just given a general goal? I'm kind of intrigued by what I've seen, but I find puzzle games don't really hold my attention for long.

Activated Node
    Well there are goals and countdown timers, so it feels constrained in that you have to focus your efforts on achieving the stated goal. I found myself trying to me more accurate than i needed to be, and wanting to build the world i wanted as there is a secondary objective to each map, to fill X % with vegetation.

I will play it more, but I'm hoping for a control improvement patch too.

It's err... between the two.
    You get a pretty clear goal and you figure out how to do it. Usually it boils down to "open a passage for your villagers to get to the next point."
    I've only done a few levels so it could get more open later.

The controls are a bit weird in that your cursor moves relative to the world, not the screen, so it's not a mouse cursor, but I got used to it without problem.

Apart from the annoying Uplay login I don't have any complaint. It's really a lovely game.

I'm giving this a go tonight. Or tomorrow. Whenever I get a chance.

These initial reports are disheartening, but I'll save my judgment for after the play.
    Maybe the next one darling...maybe the next one

Activated Node
    note there are a couple of mouse options in the menu.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The option to "Save game" don't work for me.

Wen I exit the game, It try some syncronizing operation, and fail.

FIXED!, it work again, seems was a temporal error.
    Last edited by Tei; 19-08-2011 at 12:04 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Might get the 360 version after all...

Banned
    The Steam version has UBI DRM on top of it?

Sounds like I'll give my newly purchased Bastion a go instead of buying this. I was also sucked in by the pre-release fervour but a more rigid puzzle game doesn't really make me want to play it. Timers are not for me here, I was looking for a relaxing time :(

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The timers don't really matter though. In fact they add to the fun - it was fascinating to watch as the first volcano's lava was creeping closer to a village with each eruption. There's enough room to fool around.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Seriously, what did we ever do to Ubisoft?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The controls are pretty bad, which is a shame (turning down mouse sensitivity helped a lot), but I am still really enjoying the game. It's lovely, and the mechanics are simple but mesmerizing. It's more of a simulation than a puzzle game. You have to manipulate dirt, water, and lava in order to make safe trails for your men to move from totem to totem, founding villages.

The most simple kind of obstacle, a small river cutting off the path, can be solved in several ways. You can build a dam, diverting the water. You can build a bridge, or you can just lift the water up. As you progress, you get extra powers that let you manipulate the elements further, and new, stranger obstacles appear. There's also a bonus objective in each map of spreading the growth of plants, which requires shaping the earth with elements good for growth.

It's clear from the beginning that you're not a god, you're "the breath," a supernatural force called upon to aid the people. You serve them, not vice-versa.
    Last edited by Giaddon; 18-08-2011 at 06:55 PM.

Well you've convinved me I'll probably like it. I've got plenty of games to play at the moment though, so maybe I'll wait til its on sale.

Network Hub
    I tried to add a post to the main From Dust in the news on the main page but it didn't work. I posted on the Ubisoft forums a link to the RPS article and comments, see here:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=t...249#2771083249

I'm not usually one to rage at companies but I feel this is the straw which broke the camel's back. In life those who shout loudest get heard the most, sadly unless you complain nothing will ever change.