Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Enclave quits

This guy has an awful sense of entitlement and doesn't really seem to understand the nature of MMOs. Yes there is no endgame and your purchases/time/money invested are in the hands of the devs. You can't complain about imbalanced abilities and the flexibility of weapon/ability stats. You need to adjust stats to balance, I'd hope that's obvious.

As for the lack of endgame and being a "pointless, endless TDM," welcome to video gaming. What does he want, a permanent 3 continent lock for his endgame? Permadeath every other character, the whining "Alpha male" has won the game. We sit on stacks of plastic and cloth clicking buttons and staring at screens to move pixels and numbers around, it's pointless by nature and endless by necessity, I'd be much less enthusiastic about any game that was set to end on a certain date. There are plenty of other games around where he can save a princess or avenge his dead wife if he wants to "achieve" something from his sitting and clicking, he'll feel real Alpha too.

The monetising argument stinks of paranoia, three way battles are rare and great fun in my (admittedly short) experience, Planetside 2 has never crashed for me and hackers/exploits are nothing like common enough to ruin the game.

More to the credit of RPS than PS2 perhaps, this is the first time I have felt comfortable playing an FPS and interacting with other players. I have so far heard players criticised for using gay as a blanket, verbal-filler-negative, another advised that the use of "raped" to describe heavy damage to virtual characters on video games is not OK and there is an overarching acceptance, forgiveness and embrace of those of us less skilled. Shame on any of us intelligent and strong willed enough to be decent human beings in an arena usually dedicated to bigotry and misogyny but stupid enough to give this fool an audience.

I'd argue that this guy's problem (judging by his videos) is that he was playing the wrong game. I'm sure he'll fit right in on Battlefield/Call of Duty, this sort of attitude will be welcomed there.

[Edit/TLDR] I missed breakfast and am grouchy, this guy is a dreadful bigot and is picking on a game I enjoy without justification, I am not busy at work.
    Last edited by stoopiduk; 21-06-2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by stoopiduk View Post
    I missed breakfast and am grouchy, this guy is a dreadful bigot and is picking on a game I enjoy without justification, I am not busy at work.
    I can hardly blame you for being grouchy, especially after watching the video you linked. That guy and anyone like him can fuck right off. I'm so, so fucking sick of people thinking they have a god-given right to be an arsehole on the internet and to do so without consequence.

As for the lack of endgame and being a "pointless, endless TDM," welcome to video gaming. What does he want, a permanent 3 continent lock for his endgame?
    Sanctuaries, 5+ continents and global lattice. It's really hard to describe how much difference it makes if you haven't played PS1, and I can fully understand how people can think lattice is bad since your only example exists in a vacuum on a single continent. So as a sort of "trust me on this" argument, I'll just say there was a reason if people chose to play Planetside instead of Q3 or Tribes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiant View Post
    PS2 players might have been a bit more vocal about him being an asshole.
    No. This was pretty well known, even since PS1 and whenever BCP appeared somewhere people mentioned it.
    During the early stages of PS2 Total Biscuit (getting payed by soe for the promotion) did a stream/video which featured the Enclave. After it got to his attention who the Enclave was he was not able to pull the video (although he wanted to. seems like issues due to the contract with soe) but never again mentioned the Enclave by name and removed any mentioning of them on the video to not promote them any further. At least that surely didn't slip soes attention.

There are even Reddit threads on the Enclave, even one where TB replies:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/c...ad_for/c620lf1

Things like this were around the forums since PS1 (from what I have been told. Only played a little when there was the free trial) and since PS2 started and BCP showed up again. SOE made the decision to give this guy a platform despite all the shit he pulled. The community was vocal enough again and again. SOE knew who they were getting in bed with and they didn't care.

Simple as that.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

Activated Node
    I'd argue that this guy's problem (judging by his videos) is that he was playing the wrong game. I'm sure he'll fit right in on Battlefield/Call of Duty, this sort of attitude will be welcomed there.
    Just out of curiosity, why do you think that attitude would fit right there and not in Planetside 2? If I play COD or Battlefield it means I am racist? This guy (don't know him, don't want to, sounds like a dick) apparently is a hot shot on Planetside 2 not BF or CoD, I would say he fits right in PS2.

Bit ironic that you trashtalk other gamers based on what they play in a post criticizing a guy who trashtalks other people based on their beliefs/race/sex life.

Good. Maybe people can shut up about him now.
    AKA Rushtone

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I know he's meant to be a terrible person, I've never given him any time or attention. This is the first video of his I've viewed. While his personality sounds amazingly shitty, he has a lot of valid points about the current state of the game and I agree with a tonne of them.

I'm glad to see him go, only because it means I don't have to hear about him any more.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Any ideas why Higby gave him so much attention? I don't get it. Possibilities I've considered: genuine interest in understanding the community, mutual ego rubbing, fear of the consequences of ignoring, shared ideology, being told to do so by SoE. I don't know which (if any) of those could be credible but as I said, I don't get it.

Another obvious question: why does PS2 not have its own Council of Stallar Management? The game is essentially still in development (updates about as frequent as DayZ mod was getting this time last year) so community feedback is really important. SoE seem to get that but do it in a kind of opaque way that seems to favour people who've attracted the attention of the devs and/or established a rapport. As we've all said: none of us likes even the thought of BCP representing us. Conversely I'd be really happy to vote for someone to be my representative. I'd also be happy if all outfits of a certain size were allowed 15 minutes of dev time each quarter or something along those lines. Maybe we're meant to do with the forums and the roadmap (both of which are very easy for SoE to ignore as they wish).

In short: why don't SoE have a more formalised engagement strategy with the community?
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Higby watches twitch streams. Higby enjoyed watching the enclave play as they are fairly tight in what they do.

In some ways this is good; the creative designer is watching his game being played. In many ways this is bad; he's only watching a small sector playing it a certain way. He's engaging with a personality vilified by the community. Most importantly it means someone, just one person, has the ear of the guy. No matter what, if you are in regular, informal contact with someone you have an absurd amount of influence over the way they think about the stuff you discuss. It's exactly how lobbying works. It's exactly why lobbyists try to become friends with politicians. Formal engagement is nothing compared to regular informal discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Higby watches twitch streams. Higby enjoyed watching the enclave play as they are fairly tight in what they do.

In some ways this is good; the creative designer is watching his game being played. In many ways this is bad; he's only watching a small sector playing it a certain way. He's engaging with a personality vilified by the community. Most importantly it means someone, just one person, has the ear of the guy. No matter what, if you are in regular, informal contact with someone you have an absurd amount of influence over the way they think about the stuff you discuss. It's exactly how lobbying works. It's exactly why lobbyists try to become friends with politicians. Formal engagement is nothing compared to regular informal discussion.
    This (second post of yours I'm replying thus)

The worst part is that in his reply to the relevant subreddit post, Higby still seems to ignore the hideous character and influence of BCP on the game, laments his departure and appears apologetic on behalf of SOE. Besides the toxic influence of BCP on the community and the game, this has been a PR disaster from the beginning, and SOE are still fueling this. This has been an opportunity to go on the offensive, yet they still appease the guy. They play right into his game, enhancing the drama of his "grand" exit. Appeasement doesn't work with these people. Not even debate. The debate concluded on October 1st, 1946.

Interesting idea from my gf, who's not much of a gamer. BCP may have been asked to leave by SOE in such a way as to make it all seem above board and legit. They may have pulled some strings to avoid a shitstorm. Hence Higby's 'sad to see you go' as not a genuine response, but a company talking about a dismissed employee, or one who was given the opportunity to leave or be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Formal engagement is nothing compared to regular informal discussion.
    If I understand your point then we're in agreement. Having the opportunity to have a drink with a decision maker is more useful than regularly attending focus groups. What Higby had with BCP was definitely on the informal side and therefore didn't give a fair voice to the rest of the community. So why don't they supplement their existing approach with something more balanced? That needn't stop them watching Twitch and reading Reddit etc.

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyTrooper View Post
    If I understand your point then we're in agreement. Having the opportunity to have a drink with a decision maker is more useful than regularly attending focus groups. What Higby had with BCP was definitely on the informal side and therefore didn't give a fair voice to the rest of the community. So why don't they supplement their existing approach with something more balanced? That needn't stop them watching Twitch and reading Reddit etc.
    If they are serious about following EVE's example on how to foster and develop a strong community, perhaps something like the CSM is in order. One representative per faction per server, with full access but non-disclosure of the data analysis, discussing matters in an organised and formalised manner.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    This is bad news.

Yes, he was "Space Hitler", but this is a videogame, and is good to have somebody fill the role of "bad guy". make things more fun

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    This is bad news.

Yes, he was "Space Hitler", but this is a videogame, and is good to have somebody fill the role of "bad guy". make things more fun
    Nah, we can do without bad guys in games. It'd be nice to also not have them in real life, but one step at a time.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    This is bad news.

I strongly disagree. We play a computer game but BCP exists in real life and (based on the available evidence) is a thoroughly nasty piece of work. His actions in a computer game can be just as corrosive and nasty as in real life.

Wally is now on Steam!

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyTrooper View Post
    We play a computer game but BCP exists in real life and (based on the available evidence) is a thoroughly nasty piece of work. His actions in a computer game can be just as corrosive and nasty as in real life.
    This - BCP is an odious excuse for a human being, from everything that I've read. We don't need bad guys in games. Also, there's nothing less real about playing a game and having these views, and having these views in real life.

There was something I read recently while researching PVP in EVE Online that stuck with me; the person on the other side of the PVP engagement is not your enemy. They are merely your opponent. The distinction is probably nothing to most people but it makes sense to me - an opponent is just there to give you competition. Having strong opponents is a good thing - it makes you better in the long run, challenge increases your skills.

Bringing hatred/racism/homophobia/sexism (or just about any form of intolerance) into any aspect of the gaming community is unacceptable. Or any community, for that matter (utopian dream, maybe).

I hope BCP crawls into a hole and never comes out.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    Id give an opinion but ive said it all before and I probably couldnt put it as well as sketch and the rest of you anyway.

So instead of wasting all this negative energy I want to channel it into something creative. I suggest a "sorry youre leaving!" card in video form. If anyone would like to indulge me and wants a quote attributed to their name, just pop a line or two in here. Id prefer almost mockingly nice ones like "all the best in your new role at bf4!" or whatnot, since what I have in mind for the video going on behind will juxtapose it quite nicely.

Its a pretty simple idea so we should be able to have it uploaded in time for it to still be somewhat topical, the quotes are just a potential bonus but itd be nice if a few of you could do it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardancer View Post
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/c...nclave/can8yt1 this post says everything thats needed about the enclave. Hell just read the OP in that thread. The laud themselves for being so clever that they SPLIT COMS! Amazing really I mean this is really going to change the way every other outfit works the comms.

Of course you win fights if you throw 150 people at bases with 1-2 enemy squads and then run away screaming if anyone tries to fight back. If you only play Planetside 2 to win you are going to get bored because the game is not designed to be winnable. There is no endgame condition there is no win. Play for fun or not at all.

Also I love the tears from enclave members who think its unfair to paint them after buzzcut, hell they let themselves be led by that asshole so there really is no painting to be done, they managed that all by themselves. If buzzcut managed to play the game for 8 hours a day since release he is in the same group as the fucking assholes who run racist sites as "Avpixlat" in Sweden and comment on every bit of news how its the immigrants faults.

Edit: Just read Higbys post and what the fuck. Sad to see them go? And he is supposed to represent SoE and Planetside 2, well good to know they like racist, homophobic neo-nazis. Every time Higby or anyone else interacts with buzzcut, watches his treams, talks with them they validate his opinions, not on the game but on everything else. They should have kicked him in the nuts and banned him with the first "GAY ASS NIGGER!" he uttered.
    Pretty much this. Didn't even watch the video or view any of the threads since I have no desire to raise that guy's profile. Seems alright to talk about it here tho, since it's sort of our domain. Wardancer's comments about how Enclave play the game and BCP's personal views + Sketch's comments about 'opponents' rather than 'enemies' = interesting?

Goodbye message: 'Thanks so much for making the game more enjoyable by leaving forever!'
    Last edited by Rizlar; 21-06-2013 at 06:40 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    Yeah if you're being lead by someone that pushes those views, and you continue to follow and support them without challenging them - or leaving - you are essentially stating that you think that kind of behaviour is acceptable. I forgot the right word for it - "agreement through silence" is the best I can come up with right now.