Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    People get emotionally attached to the developers though, to the point where they toss money at things just because they like the devs (or on the other hand, withhold or threaten to withhold cash from devs/pubs they don't like). Nobody goes out and buys six toilet seats just because that toilet seat was made by a group of saints, but they will go and buy 6 copies of Retro Indie Platformer #429 because they like the devs.
    ^Truth. Introversion trade heavily in that whole 'last of the bedroom coders' nostalgia to the extent that people were buying extra copies of Darwinia in order to prop them up so they could 'live the dream' (Aka waste 5 years working on subversion). As for initially expecting people to pay 70 to participate in the alpha of prison architect, well apparently 30K people were happy to hand them around 2.1 million (which makes some recent kickstarters look kind of tame). Even now for what is ostensibly an 'indie' title they're charging 19.99 minimum for the game (10 less than XCOM was at launch). Which is a ludicrous amount given the size of their team Vs say that of a AAA studio like Firaxis. The mark up is completely out of proportion with respect to the production. Phil Fish might be a bit of a dick, but at least Fez was sold at a reasonable price point Vs titles of a similar ilk. Still as the saying goes, a fool and his money are easily parted. Mark Morris is likely laughing all the way to his BMW dealership (whilst Chris Delay slaves away I suspect).

Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    Pot, meet Gundato...
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...=1955#post1955
    Last edited by Kadayi; 23-06-2013 at 10:07 AM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopig View Post
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...sage-to-gamers Considering they currently have a massive sale on, only a few months ago they were critisising steam for doing the same.
    Maybe they want to experiment? I sort of agree in general that sales can harm a dev, but obviously it depends exactly on the type of sale going on.

Having said that i never buy DD games on sales in general (I don't use Steam, which makes it easier to avoid perhaps?), as i have plenty of games already and i prefer to buy less and 'reward' the deserving dev with my money so they can survive and make more.

I love GoG, but won't be touching this sale, instead waiting for when it is over to buy the games on my 'to get' list at what i consider more reasonable prices. This is the advantage of choice (always a good thing). For those that love sales i'm sure they are knocking themselves out right about now!

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    ^Truth. Introversion trade heavily in that whole 'last of the bedroom coders' nostalgia to the extent that people were buying extra copies of Darwinia in order to prop them up so they could 'live the dream' (Aka waste 5 years working on subversion). As for initially expecting people to pay 70 to participate in the alpha of prison architect, well apparently 30K people were happy to hand them around 2.1 million (which makes some recent kickstarters look kind of tame). Even now for what is ostensibly an 'indie' title they're charging 19.99 minimum for the game (10 less than XCOM was at launch). Which is a ludicrous amount given the size of their team Vs say that of a AAA studio like Firaxis. The mark up is completely out of proportion with respect to the production. Phil Fish might be a bit of a dick, but at least Fez was sold at a reasonable price point Vs titles of a similar ilk. Still as the saying goes, a fool and his money are easily parted. Mark Morris is likely laughing all the way to his BMW dealership (whilst Chris Delay slaves away I suspect).
    I've not bought it because, while it looks interesting, it isn't something I want to pay $30 for.

However, attacking the developer of a game, and the purchasers of that game because you feel the price isn't justified is absurd.

The worth of money is in many ways subjective and the worth of a game certainly is. It isn't something that can be judged solely on what the concrete costs of development are.
    Last edited by Wengart; 23-06-2013 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wengart View Post
    However, attacking the developer of a game, and the purchasers of that game because you feel the price isn't justified is absurd.
    I'm not complaining, I'm merely pointing out this peculiar double standard that has arisen, in terms of attitudes people have towards funding indie development. I find it faintly amusing that people will often bitch, whine and begrudge the cost of AAA titles all the time as if developers and publishers were fleecing gamers left right and centre (even though AAA game prices have largely stayed static for years, though development teams have grown quantifiably). But will fall over themselves to throw large amounts of money at two bit indie projects with abandon. On the whole I'd say most indie developers price their games at a reasonable level, and I've backed plenty of kickstarters myself where I felt what they were asking for was a fair price for the end result, but given IV is at most 7 people (and seemingly Chris Delay does almost all of the programming) I think it's hard to justify the markup they're charging by any measure beyond that of pure greed and knowing exploitation of 'yay they're indie!!!' consumer good will. Feel free to disagree (that's your prerogative after all), but given you yourself have blanched at what they're charging, I can't help but feel on some level you're arriving at the same judgement call.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 23-06-2013 at 02:26 PM.

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

A few month ago GoG made a survey, and one of the things that came out of it was that its community wanted more sales and greater discounts.
    So this is gog experimenting and catering to its community.

As for initially expecting people to pay 70 to participate in the alpha of prison architect, well apparently 30K people were happy to hand them around 2.1 million (which makes some recent kickstarters look kind of tame).
    Do you have a source for that 70 minimum to participate in the Alpha? I recall it was a $30 minimum pledge when it initially started. From This Article...

RPS: So what’s the plan for this alpha release then?

Morris: The basic tier is $30. You get access to the alpha immediately, and you’ll get the full game and Steam keys and all the rest of it when that’s finally done.
    I know it was an Alpha more expensive than others, but not 70.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Ah, Introversion. I still remember having multiple forums I hung out at being invaded by the fans saying "Even if you don't want to play it, just buy a few copies because they need to stay in business"
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    Do you have a source for that 70 minimum to participate in the Alpha? I recall it was a $30 minimum pledge when it initially started.
    I'm pretty sure it was listed as something like that initially with the early access, the justification being that the high price was to ensure only 'serious people' participated (it was certainly more than Arma 3 access). I recall pretty much taking a glance (I'm a fan of their games to the extent that I even own the Multiwinia limited edition in the tin, as well as retail Uplink & Darwinia) but laughing at the price tag for the alpha as way overpriced. I think they then changed the model to the tiered system taking a lead off of kickstarter, but either way they're still asking way too much for what is ostensibly a low end game when all is said and done. Maybe I'm conflating them with Kerbal space program with the pricing though.

Ah, Introversion. I still remember having multiple forums I hung out at being invaded by the fans saying "Even if you don't want to play it, just buy a few copies because they need to stay in business"
    Yeah. I still have an account at the IV forums, but unless you've drunk the Kool-Aid it's not a place to hang out at. IV can do no wrong and criticisms of any sort will not be tolerated by resident trolls like xander.

Probable Replicant

Maybe I'm conflating them with Kerbal space program with the pricing though.
    Indeed. Or Planetary Annihilation. Prison Architect was never priced at 70 for Alpha access. $30 was the minimum buy in... although people still complained that it wasn't $10.
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Even now for what is ostensibly an 'indie' title they're charging 19.99 minimum for the game (10 less than XCOM was at launch). Which is a ludicrous amount given the size of their team Vs say that of a AAA studio like Firaxis. The mark up is completely out of proportion with respect to the production.
    I thought the deal was that alpha access was $30 and the actual game would be cheaper when it came out. And they were charging that much for alpha access to limit the numbers involved? Have they confirmed it'll be that price on launch now?

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    I thought the deal was that alpha access was $30 and the actual game would be cheaper when it came out. And they were charging that much for alpha access to limit the numbers involved? Have they confirmed it'll be that price on launch now?
    Make of it what you will: -

http://store.steampowered.com/app/23...snr=1_7_15__13

However given they're tiering things like soundtrack, artbook (PDF one presumes) and your immortality in the final game, coupled with over 30K 'testers' already I'd be surprised if there's any intention to lower the final game cost considerably.

Probable Replicant

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    There is always a guy.
    I only bought four. Not six. They were out of stock.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Introversion annoy me lately. They love to play the innovative victims of the indie sector, crowing about how Steam 'saved' them with their sales. Fact is Introversion screwed themselves by releasing Multiwinia (an absolute joke) and then doing... well, nothing apparently (nothing that turned into anything useful) until DEFCON. After that they talked up Subversion, realised they weren't making any money because oh no we're not making anything we can actually sell and ended up relying on heavy promotion to live.

It's why I won't buy Prison Architect. I have zero faith in them. A developer that falls over for not actually producing games isn't something to be mourned... which is why I didn't care when GPG imploded or whatever with that Wildman nonsense.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Kadayi, sorry. Perhaps it's best to say "the logical disconnect in these threads is hard to watch and read". Thanks. :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Make of it what you will: -

http://store.steampowered.com/app/23...snr=1_7_15__13

However given they're tiering things like soundtrack, artbook (PDF one presumes) and your immortality in the final game, coupled with over 30K 'testers' already I'd be surprised if there's any intention to lower the final game cost considerably.
    I'd expect it to go the other way to be honest. They talked about potentially doing the alpha as a PWYW bundle, and decided against it. I think this method is a good way to get money out of the dedicated fans that would buy at full price on day one anyway, and launch in a bundle deal as soon as it's out of alpha.

Quote Originally Posted by Leopig View Post
    I am not complaining, I am not hating. I am having a light hearted joke.
    So you said, "Ha-ha, they said one thing and did another!" OK, and? Observational humor must be tied up with some unspoken knowledge that makes the observation funny, otherwise it's just an observation. The sentence "hypocrites exist" is not innately funny.

Attacking hypocrisy is more about ad hominem – i.e. questioning the character of a person or group – than it is about dissecting or analyzing rhetoric or context. You could've done the latter with the same exact article. Consider this quote:

"We all know gamers who spend more every month on games than they want to, just because there were too many games that were discounted too deeply. That's not good for anyone."
    That idea, and especially the last sentence, is far more problematic than any subsequent hypocrisy. It's just damned stupid on its face; such baldly-absolutist language should set off any reasonable skeptic's alarms.

Take that quote in the context of what Kadayi later said to explore why it's troubling:

I'm as guilty as anyone of having bought games when they're discounted that much simply because it was too good a bargain to pass up at the time, even though in reality I wasn't that interested in playing the game at the end of the day.
    You see the issue here, yes? Many of us have games we'll never play. I myself have like 100 indie games which I'll almost surely never install. I probably paid between 1.50 and 5.00 for them (or 325.00 I'd otherwise never have spent). Now, imagine 5,000 people like me bought SpiffoGameo solely because it was 2.00 but then never get around to playing it.

That's ten thousand money-units split between pub and dev which they wouldn't have received otherwise. Factor in other human dynamics and the situation's even better: some otherwise-disinterested parties will buy and play SpiffoGameo if it's on sale, and some of those will find SpiffoGameo interesting enough to discuss it with others, and some of those others will then buy SpiffoGameo, often for non-sale prices. Indeed, even patching or adding free content to SpiffoGameo can drive people to buy it regardless of whether it goes on sale.

One might be tempted to say fixation on price without market context is absurd and even counterproductive.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Jambe View Post
    You see the issue here, yes? Many of us have games we'll never play. I myself have like 100 indie games which I'll almost surely never install. I probably paid between 1.50 and 5.00 for them (or 325.00 I'd otherwise never have spent). Now, imagine 5,000 people like me bought SpiffoGameo solely because it was 2.00 but then never get around to playing it.

That's ten thousand money-units split between pub and dev which they wouldn't have received otherwise.
    It spreads the money around more. Gamers these days are more likely to pick up lots of interesting looking things that they might not play for long (or ever) for cheap, rather than one or two things and play them to death.

That's probably not rewarding the best games accordingly, it's probably not entirely fair on the developers of the really good games (which outsell others by a factor of 10, rather than 100) but it's great for the consumer as it means more and more indie developers can earn enough money from games to make a comfortable living out of making indie games. They can't afford yachts or BMWs, but they're earning well above the average wage doing something they enjoy. I'd rather we had 100 indie developers making a living than 10 making a fortune (perhaps enough to give up working on anything entirely) and 90 making a loss and going back to the day job and giving up on making games.

That's a model that's less sustainable in the AAA market for various reasons, but in the indie scene it's the best possible result for the consumer.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    A Man and his son were once going with their Donkey to market. As they were walking along by its side a countryman passed them and said: "You fools, what is a Donkey for but to ride upon?"

So the Man put the Boy on the Donkey and they went on their way. But soon they passed a group of men, one of whom said: "See that lazy youngster, he lets his father walk while he rides."

So the Man ordered his Boy to get off, and got on himself. But they hadn't gone far when they passed two women, one of whom said to the other: "Shame on that lazy lout to let his poor little son trudge along."

Well, the Man didn't know what to do, but at last he took his Boy up before him on the Donkey. By this time they had come to the town, and the passers-by began to jeer and point at them. The Man stopped and asked what they were scoffing at. The men said:
    "Aren't you ashamed of yourself for overloading that poor donkey of yours and your hulking son?"

The Man and Boy got off and tried to think what to do. They thought and they thought, till at last they cut down a pole, tied the donkey's feet to it, and raised the pole and the donkey to their shoulders. They went along amid the laughter of all who met them till they came to Market Bridge, when the Donkey, getting one of his feet loose, kicked out and caused the Boy to drop his end of the pole. In the struggle the Donkey fell over the bridge, and his fore-feet being tied together he was drowned.

"That will teach you," said an old man who had followed them:

Moral of Aesops Fable: Please all, and you will please none
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    I only bought four. Not six. They were out of stock.

Introversion annoy me lately. They love to play the innovative victims of the indie sector, crowing about how Steam 'saved' them with their sales. Fact is Introversion screwed themselves by releasing Multiwinia (an absolute joke) and then doing... well, nothing apparently (nothing that turned into anything useful) until DEFCON. After that they talked up Subversion, realised they weren't making any money because oh no we're not making anything we can actually sell and ended up relying on heavy promotion to live.

It's why I won't buy Prison Architect. I have zero faith in them. A developer that falls over for not actually producing games isn't something to be mourned... which is why I didn't care when GPG imploded or whatever with that Wildman nonsense.
    Same, really. I loved Uplink, found Darwinia and Defcon to be weak. But it was really the fans who turned me off of Introversion.

And I'll also agree on GPG. I like some of the titles they have done, but they never really "got" the genres they were working in.

On a related note: As much as I love Obsidian games, I also won't really shed a tear when they finally go under. Especially considering that even though they "got screwed by the publishers" on every single title they ever made (oh, wait, Dungeon Siege 3 didn't have any screwing. It was just weak :p), they have repeatedly been given VERY lucrative franchises to work on.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    It spreads the money around more. Gamers these days are more likely to pick up lots of interesting looking things that they might not play for long (or ever) for cheap, rather than one or two things and play them to death.

That's probably not rewarding the best games accordingly, it's probably not entirely fair on the developers of the really good games (which outsell others by a factor of 10, rather than 100) but it's great for the consumer as it means more and more indie developers can earn enough money from games to make a comfortable living out of making indie games. They can't afford yachts or BMWs, but they're earning well above the average wage doing something they enjoy. I'd rather we had 100 indie developers making a living than 10 making a fortune (perhaps enough to give up working on anything entirely) and 90 making a loss and going back to the day job and giving up on making games.

That's a model that's less sustainable in the AAA market for various reasons, but in the indie scene it's the best possible result for the consumer.
    I would agree if the sales process were meritocratic but afaik it isn't. Valve (or GOG or Origin or whoever) controls when sales occur and what games are sold and they're not omnipotent; it's not like any of these systems are Marxist utopias. Some of them are certainly better than depending on old-school traditional publishers, though!

If I had any say I'd rather publisher and platform get separated out a bit. As much as I like Steam and its stats and friends system I'd rather have them divorced somewhat because there's a clear conflict of interest there (they use those things in a carrot-and-stick way to persuade people to buy through them rather than directly from the dev).

There are of course benefits to the publisher-and-platform model; the store and stats/chat stuff can be very streamlined and if the platform is big it can land your game in front of many eyeballs. I'm talking conceptual stuff here, though. I'd like valve to open-source the community/stats/comms side of things and still actively develop it but keep the store and stats-hosting system proprietary. So the servicey/social side of things i.e. stats and networking standards goes FOSS and the product/publisher things like the store and accounts system and hosting is what costs you monies.

They'll almost surely not do that, but it'd be a great incentive for yet more people to buy into the Steam store. Even if games were no longer irrevocably tied to Steam's account auth system, the fact that an open and easy-to-implement stats and networking bundle was ready to integrate with Steam would mean lots more people would use it. It would also mean some devs would fork the stuff and use it in their own ways, but that could also be good for Steam because (depending on license) developments occurring in other communities could be folded back into Steam.

Quote Originally Posted by Jambe View Post
    That's ten thousand money-units split between pub and dev which they wouldn't have received otherwise. Factor in other human dynamics and the situation's even better: some otherwise-disinterested parties will buy and play SpiffoGameo if it's on sale, and some of those will find SpiffoGameo interesting enough to discuss it with others, and some of those others will then buy SpiffoGameo, often for non-sale prices. Indeed, even patching or adding free content to SpiffoGameo can drive people to buy it regardless of whether it goes on sale.

One might be tempted to say fixation on price without market context is absurd and even counterproductive.
    No one disputes that money going to devs is a good thing. Certainly for small developers the increase in sales can be a great thing from a financial perspective, and certainly it will undoubtedly increase their player base to some degree. However despite the fact that Blueberry garden sits there enticing in my steam list the motivation for me to actually play the thing Vs type this response to you or do any other number of things that aren't playing blueberry garden just isn't that great at the end of the day.

I think ultimately if you want your games to be successful then you ideally want people to play them. I can look at trailers for watchdogs and I already know that I'm going to play the shit out of that when it comes out (take my money already!!). However I can look at transistor and know that having not given Bastion much of a shot (despite it languishing above blueberry garden in my steam list) I'm highly unlikely to bother with it. I think the potential trap with bargain bucket sales is that they can also perhaps send out false signals about actual audience interest to some degree.

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/bastion/achievements/

Only around 14% of people finished what is a fairly short game from all accounts. Is 'from the creators of bastion' a selling point to the other 86% who didn't, or instead a warning sign to not bother.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 24-06-2013 at 02:39 PM.

Probable Replicant