Lesser Hivemind Node

Small group of friends

Hi guys,

Just a message to work out what people think of this but basically after a bit of a break I've come back to Dota2 pretty heavily with a friend but we're getting depressed about pub teams (Yesterday we had a game completely wrapped up but Pudge went AFK for 25 minutes in the jungle on a phone call and in another game we had a guy pick Slark for safe lane carry then refuse to last hit because the support took a bounty rune... I wish I was kidding)...

Anyway, I digress, we're after getting a group of friendly people together for regular games, we're both UK based and generally play from 9.30pm most nights, we have the odd friend online to make it up to a 3 so we need 2-3 other people.

Skill level wise we're currently queueing High / Very High and we're both pretty well versed in Dota however we're not gonna be snobs around this, if people are willing to learn we'll play with anyone pretty much - also theres not really a "position" thing going on, we will both play pretty much any position. We queue All Pick usually but if we had a 5 stack regularly I'd love to put a team up and queue team games or Captains Draft etc...

Is anyone solo / duo queueing, friendly (read: Not a troll) and wanting some friends?

Ah, feel free to ask me if you need to round out the slots. My stack tends to play superlate in the day so I'm twiddling my thumbs of an evening, and it's always interesting to see how other people do things. Steam is in the sig there.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Done deal

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'd like to play in groups, since my Dota social group have recently moved on to other games but I'm utterly addicted to the game. My MMR is only 2450, but if you want a 5th player and don't mind a noob, then let me know.

I play most of my games as hard support (maiden, jakiro, etc).

Steam is Everblue650 http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198019768305

Dotabuff http://www.dotabuff.com/players/59502577

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Everblue View Post
    I'd like to play in groups, since my Dota social group have recently moved on to other games but I'm utterly addicted to the game. My MMR is only 2450, but if you want a 5th player and don't mind a noob, then let me know.

I play most of my games as hard support (maiden, jakiro, etc).

Steam is Everblue650 http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198019768305

Dotabuff http://www.dotabuff.com/players/59502577
    Cool, I'll add you on steam when I'm on later. I'm not sure if it's of any interest but I wrote this about being a support last year before I realised I was terrible at writing, anyway quite alot is still relevant in todays meta...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DenieD View Post
    Cool, I'll add you on steam when I'm on later. I'm not sure if it's of any interest but I wrote this about being a support last year before I realised I was terrible at writing, anyway quite alot is still relevant in todays meta...
    You didn't link to your thing, would like to read : )

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    You didn't link to your thing, would like to read : )
    denieddota2.wordpress.com

lol failboat

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    denieddota2.wordpress.com

lol failboat
    Very nice, and sums up what I've begun to understand myself after my first 100 games or so. I've found actively concentrating on one or two specific tasks, making one simple play regularly, has really improved my support contribution. What those tasks are varies depending on line up and character chosen-it might be initiating, it might be counter initating, it might be mopping up, maybe even just holding the fort or focussing on one character, but my positioning and map placement is increasingly dictated by those. It seems to me like if you can get one of those reliably down you will start to dictate games rather than just be a passenger, things will happen around you and people will be there when you need them. Even just buying a blink dagger and ensuring you have the charge and nuke to kill a fleeing enemy can be all that's needed to turn a teamfight into a snowball. Knowing the difference between tactically standing back in a fight and being the last person to a fight.

I've found it's easy to panic about your K/D/A and be desperate to contribute in that sense (especially if some people are giving you trash for it) but if you're reliably locking key players in teamfights down or saving your supports without feeding then you are creating the space needed for your carries to carry and do their thing, which in turn will allow you more freedom to get big and be more of a danger yourself. Against good carries, you can't be expected to reliably kill them yourself.

Won an amazing game yesterday as Rubick, we were absolutely locked in our base at about 25 mins due to an excellent Brood and Earthshaker, the rest of their team were nothing special but between their ability, webs and shadowblade those two were more or less untouchable, but I just focussed on stealing Earthshaker's things and trying to out Earthshake him and allow our carrys to focus those two while blinking after retreating carrys. Took us ages to catch up levels but by focussing on just disabling ES they got less confident in the push, Brood's webs dissapeared and gave us the breathing space to farm and out tank them.

There's definitely an elitist element to it all though, Support and Carry. We narrowly lost a game the other day that we started 14-1 down, with careful communication and warding preparation I was able to anchor teamfights as WD with my Ward/stuns/heal and give the carries support to feed and get back in the game, but then our Slardar got fed and decided to just start charging around the map rather than making more tactical decisions. We all followed him but he was dragging us into traps, springing on the first enemy he saw regardless of postion. He wouldn't listen to the rest of us though because "he was carry". And the 4 of us weren't strong enough to make the difference without him sadly, so we lost after a pattern of half-assed fights and one decisive team fight. We would have probably won if we had gotten the better of it.

It feels to me the hardest thing about support is that you can't do much at all on your own, especially as the game advances, whereas the opposite of that is true with carries, meaning in pubs you'll often have carries not waiting for you or communicating their intent (Spirit Breaker is awful for this) taking on more than he can chew, only for you to arrive out of breath and faced with the option of either dying in support or running away again. Alternatively, an agry ping and "Defend the tower!" solo against 3 fed up carries.
    Last edited by sonson; 21-01-2015 at 01:49 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Yeh nailing down the fundamentals like "what should I be doing, where should I be standing to do it?" will lead you to much better play.

It may seem counter intuitive at first but remember, the reason a good support hero is a good support hero is that its spells and abilitys do alot without needing much in the way of items, where as a good carry hero tends to have some sort of "steroid" ability that will improve from items or a farming ability (for instance Alchemist has both, his ulti attack speed means that he benefits greatly from procs and dmg items as he hits quickly and Greevils lets him farm faster than other characters).

Now baring all that in mind, when a game starts and no items are really floating about it means that technically the strongest characters should be supports (not 100% true but you can see where I am coming from here).

And yes, people are terrible and dive in and expect you to somehow save their skin, bad players are unfortunately bad.

I had a good game with Jiiiiim last night, http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1177219364

Fun times, I think it really turned around when we got that gem and Techies became a thing of the past After that they should have won but failed to Rax us and then couldn't take team fights after

Lesser Hivemind Node deadly.by.design's Avatar
    Fun times, I think it really turned around when we got that gem and Techies became a thing of the past
    When you're playing position 5 against techies like that, do you just rush a gem or what? How soon do you get it? I had a hard time dealing with it and sentries seemed like a waste of cash with such an active techies. (had our entire radiant jungle mined and I kept dying just trying to put up sents)

It was a bad match and a bad team, which is probably why I haven't had such a horrible game against techies. But still, it had me trying to figure out how to salvage things.
    Last edited by deadly.by.design; 21-01-2015 at 04:39 PM.

The beastman was a more or less a counter-pick. I just swung the boar around all the staircases early on - which meant techies didn't kill anyone before he was level 6. Zeus was also actively checking with the lightning bolt before going into fogged areas. Neither of those options costs gold.

Don't get me wrong, we had sentries, but the rest of the team was pitching in to make the anti-techie job manageable

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiiiiim View Post
    The beastman was a more or less a counter-pick. I just swung the boar around all the staircases early on - which meant techies didn't kill anyone before he was level 6. Zeus was also actively checking with the lightning bolt before going into fogged areas. Neither of those options costs gold.

Don't get me wrong, we had sentries, but the rest of the team was pitching in to make the anti-techie job manageable
    Yep totally agree, whole team helped ALOT on that also at the start of the match I made sure to get a ward up early on the rune spot and keep an eye out on the mini map for techies, once I saw him mining up top rune I just called it in voice chat and let him spend 5 minutes there mining it... then I bought a sentry and walked over and demined him, gutted for him.

Got the gem after my midas / blink dagger, we didn't have a natural carrier so I had to make sure Spirit Breaker couldn't just remove it from me as he removed my head from my shoulders.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I like the idea of Beastmaster versus Techies, thanks.

Lesser Hivemind Node deadly.by.design's Avatar
    Nice.

In my case, we were being dewarded, none of my teammates were helping and I kept getting complained about to "go place sentries to de-mine." The Beastmaster idea makes me think my team's Lycan should have periodically scouting with wolves.

NP would also work.

Anyway, I digress, we're after getting a group of friendly people together for regular games, we're both UK based and generally play from 9.30pm most nights, we have the odd friend online to make it up to a 3 so we need 2-3 other people.

Skill level wise we're currently queueing High / Very High and we're both pretty well versed in Dota however we're not gonna be snobs around this, if people are willing to learn we'll play with anyone pretty much - also theres not really a "position" thing going on, we will both play pretty much any position. We queue All Pick usually but if we had a 5 stack regularly I'd love to put a team up and queue team games or Captains Draft etc...

Is anyone solo / duo queueing, friendly (read: Not a troll) and wanting some friends?
    I'd be interested in getting some matches with a few regular people if you're looking to fill more slots in the evenings. Still pretty low experience but I am definitely learning, so it depends if you're okay with that or not. (I understand that it is a competitive game after all)

Mostly been playing support so far as I'm finding it easier to learn the game (where should I be, what should I be doing, where are my team-mates etc) without having to think about last-hitting. Seems like you can get enough gold as a support by just focussing on assists and not dying. But I'm happy to follow instruction and play however/whatever is needed.

Here's my Steam linky

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by James_Ross View Post
    I'd be interested in getting some matches with a few regular people if you're looking to fill more slots in the evenings. Still pretty low experience but I am definitely learning, so it depends if you're okay with that or not. (I understand that it is a competitive game after all)

Mostly been playing support so far as I'm finding it easier to learn the game (where should I be, what should I be doing, where are my team-mates etc) without having to think about last-hitting. Seems like you can get enough gold as a support by just focussing on assists and not dying. But I'm happy to follow instruction and play however/whatever is needed.

Here's my Steam linky
    Yo, yeh I'm cool to play, I'll add you later on.

Do you want to play support or is that what you have just ended up falling into because of low experience?

And now for the really difficult to word bit, I mean no negativity with this next bit at all but in all sincerity would it help if I give you some tutoring? (I only ask because your new and if http://www.dotabuff.com/players/34656065 is your account then dragging you into High tier might cause you to really hate the game alot).