Valve and the community

In light of the current nonsense surrounding Diretide, what do you think Valve is/isn't doing well?
    My Steam Profile
    Obligatory quote:
    "By ignorance the truth is known" -Henry Suso

What they're doing well: monetizing (to a degree) and general maintenance.

What they aren't doing well: communicating. They've never done this good and it's quite sad. Diretide was said to be annual but it would seem that it isn't, and that in itself isn't such a big deal, but the silence is not good. This whole nonsense could've been avoided by just coming out and saying "Sorry guys, not happening this year". Generally I'd like Valve to be a bit more open about the development - sneak peeks into what is coming and some general vague timelines about when to expect things.

Seconded.

Icefrog also used to post in the forum to answer random questions and to give an outlook on upcoming patches. But the last time we have had any form of communcation in that regard from Valve / Icefrog is months away. I just don't understand that.

Valve knows already how 'passionate' the community can be and they had to see how the hype built up around the halloween event. They also knew that they were either not doing an event for dota or that they wouldn't finish it in time. In that case they clearly could have said anything before everything went out of control.

It's the same with the weekly beta patches. They clearly abandonded that way of doing things, after 'releasing' dota, but they didn't tell anybody, which again led to a lot of disappointed people, whining about hat patches. (also, dropping a hat patch right in the middle of this halloween mess is just mean / stupid)

I just don't get, why they don't make some clear statements on how they plan to do things.
    My Steam profile

The pun-less, but not fun-less RPS Pinball Steam group

This deserves a double post: Volvo finally replied!

http://i.imgur.com/TDxkaIR.jpg

https://twitter.com/volvocarsglobal/...26888442933248

Yes, that is actually Volvo. This means Volvo now has actually had more interaction with the Dota community than Valve in recent times.
    My Steam profile

It's weird, they talked about how they were going to move to bigger updates in the first blood patch related blogs, but yet it had been like that for months before with no word. I don't see why they can't churn out a quick blog update every week or 2 to let people know what is on the way. If you want to see whats on the horizon you need to slog through CyborgMatts patch analysis to have any idea.

I enjoy the game and will keep playing but it would have been nice to get a slightly different map to mess about on for a bit, they only had to flip the switch on the old diretide even. If they want to preserve their item economy they could of made the mode drop less hats. I just enjoyed the silly early teamfights that the mode brought on, saying that it did drop 2 couriers for me during the event and that was nice.
    \_(ツ)_/

And now it happened: Valve finally replied! (this time without the sarcasm, it actually happened)

http://blog.dota2.com/2013/11/not-my-best-work/

This leaves us with the following facts:

1. Valve can actually reply to a current situation, it just takes valve time to do so.
    2. 'Give Diretide' actually worked, we now get the mode again
    3. Big update incoming

I'll admit it, they got me excited again. Lets see what happens next.
    My Steam profile

That's Valve time for you I guess. I'm happy they admitted they were wrong
    You're not going to see a lot of developers do that.
    My Steam Profile
    Obligatory quote:
    "By ignorance the truth is known" -Henry Suso