Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar

[VS] Tuesday 25th 19:00 BST : TTT #4 - Air squad

On Tuesday June 25th 19:00 BST we will be doing a Tactical Testing and Training session on how to set up and best utilise an air squad.

My idea on how to set it up with 12 players:

- 2 liberators with pilot and gunner (4 players)
    - 4 scythes (4 players)
    - Dedicated ground support crew with 2 burster MAXs/2 skyguards, 1 ammo sunderer with engineer and 1 repair sunderer with engineer (4 players)

The ground support will set up in a safe location, were libs and scythes can come to repair and rearm. Friendly AA will be present in the form of the two burster MAXs/skyguards, thereby making it a refuge from enemy ESFs.

When the libs go down, either one of the crew spawns a new lib, or both go fly scythes. When the scythes go down, they can group up two and two and spawn libs. And if there are not enough planes off of cooldown, the pilots can swap places with the ground crew.

Everyone is welcome, no certs or particular experience required!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    Sounds intriguing but not 100% certain I can make it. If im around Id be happy to bring my ams ammo sundy and repair tool.

After that fun but very tiring Rezzed weekend, I'm going to bed very early today, so as to be sure to be ready tomorrow evening for that session

Relevant to the air squad:
    There has been some discussion about the ever increasing harasser problem, resulting from the combination of their excellent armour, high speed and immense firepower. I might have stumbled upon a useful counter: The Shredder belly gun for the liberator (default). This weapon shoots armor piercing (harasser resist is 0.6), high damage bullets quickly (800 rpm) and with good projectile velocity (600 m/s). Theoretically, it can kill a harasser in a matter of seconds. I have done some testing in the VR, and it seems promising. Something to keep in mind for tomorrow and the future.

I'll be there!
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Network Hub
    Just got back from two weekends of weddings. I'm ready to jump back into PS2 but I won't make it for this. I might be able to catch you guys later in the evening with my High-G Dalton/Zephyr

I tested the Shredder in VR again yesterday, and it destroys a non-certed harasser in 3 seconds at point blank range. At longer ranges (>50 m) and certed harasser armour (24% damage reduction) it should take up to 7 seconds if all bullets hit.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    Just to say I'll definitely be making this now. I didn't think the video thing through, aiming for an hour after this starts. If it runs longer than that I'll see if we can delay it a bit, people usually take a while to settle anyway.

Network Hub
    Working from home today so shall be able to make it for once (normally 7 on Tuesdays I'm still sitting in traffic!)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    I'll be there, finally got my first dog-fight kills yesterday, previous esf-kills with the scythe were all mid-air collisions or they were parked on the ground. :-)

My plan is to make this AND jaguar's recording. I'll see how quickly I can get home tonight. Hopefully before 7.30pm!

I hope you enjoyed the Air squad testing and training of this evening. Here are some notes on the event and the debriefing.

Air squadding

We started by attacking The Old Stockpile on Indar, which harboured a sizeable NC force. We were joined friendly players, but the battle was fierce nonetheless. Alpha and Bravo squads set up their ground support on the mesas to the south and these seemed to work very well. Soon the enemy aircraft were eradicated.
    After the battle at The Old Stockpile, Bravo squad had run out of air resources and decided to move to the VR training area for some general flying practice. Alpha stayed on Indar and moved twice to set up new safe zones south of Zurvan, which was the new target.

Lessons learned

• Repair sunderers are not really necessary. They require heavy certing to be effective, and engineers on the ground can do just as well.
    • Many aircraft were lost in collisions with friendlies. We should avoid over-saturating an area with friendly air.
    • The distribution of experienced pilots was unbalanced, forcing Bravo to leave for the VR. We should encourage the use of aircraft in our squads so that more can become experienced.
    • The safe zones provided by the ground crew worked well and seemed to contribute to aircraft survival (barring any landing and takeoff issues ).
    • Occasionally, cryptic callouts such as "there's a reaver here" or "I'm being chased" were used. It is useful to state the direction/location so that squad mates can take appropriate measures.
    • At least twice the skyguards missed enemy aircraft flying right over the safe zone. Again, communication and attention could have been better.
    • The ground crew might become bored. Therefore it is important to swap with the other pilots every now and then.

Conclusion

On the whole, my experience was that this type of air squad is viable and effective. However, we need to become better at flying as well as communicating and coordinating while in the air. Air tactics is something that could perhaps be discussed further.
    Last edited by LaKroy; 25-06-2013 at 11:34 PM.