Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar

Ludicrously ambitious video idea: almost certainly impossible. Who's in?

UPDATE 3 - Scrapping PTS for now, too many variables we can't control. But worth downloading for a future date.

UPDATE 2 - Bankrotas has suggested the potentially quieter PTS to do this on. Could be great but everyone would need to download the additional client/patch which works out just shy of 9GB in total. Please let me know if this is impossible and we'll scrap it for now, but it would be amazing if everyone can do it!

PTS CLIENT - https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...active.114080/

UPDATE - We've settled on Tuesday, 25th June, 8pm UK time for the first shoot. Optimum number of people is 8-12, and minimum 4. If by some good fortune we get even more than that I'll just make it even more ambitious/impossible. The more the merrier!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been planning this in my head for what feels like months but I didn't want to waste your time asking for assistance until I was absolutely certain of both what I wanted to do and that I would be willing to see it through. The biggest obstacles now are direction and logistics.

But let me start from the end. I feel the fun little arthouse music video things I've been doing have pretty much run their course. I intend to do one more season of them (6 episodes) then that will be that. Better to stop before people tell you to, and they've more than served their purpose of being a fun way to learn cinematic techniques and editing. Up til now it's been candid footage that I've watched unfold naturally, but I'd like to now make a completely scripted chase sequence using actors. It'll be for the RPS channel and I have high hopes for it to be something truly memorable. Basically, I want it to be to planetside what the following is to BF3;

I'm not going to go too into detail about the plan as I'd like it to be a surprise to anyone not directly involved in making it, but I'd need about 4 people skilled at using all air vehicles, at least 4 really good all round drivers and then people to do various infantry roles. I estimate we'd need at least 8 people minimum to make it work and 12 ideally. The biggest problem would be getting all online at the same time, or of course getting people who are up for committing to something that will involve a lot of standing around.

Anyone game?
    Last edited by jaguar skills; 25-06-2013 at 03:44 PM.

Count me in. If possible i will take a driver role. I love driving pretty much every ground vehicle (especially mags and sundy) and I'm also used to Gal and Scythes (though I'm an average pilot).
    Last edited by Ksempac; 24-06-2013 at 08:37 PM.

This sounds like a laugh. I've definitely become a lot more competent at all of those things, especially standing around a lot. I'll put my name down for piloting and anything else that's needed. Rough idea of when you plan to do this?
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Network Hub
    I'm in. Not sure if I'm a "good" pilot or driver, but willing to try.

Great! When I do it depends purely on when people are available, although I see it taking more than one session to do. If we're smart we can probably do a lot of it with 4 people or less switching roles, but the third act in particular will likely need the whole 8+ people. Once we have a list of willing people we'll hammer out a schedule or I'll watch out for those names online and ask around ad-hoc.

I should say that comms will be essential, I don't know how many of you saw that BCP thing I did but you'd be amazed how difficult it was to organise two people for a teabagging when none of us were using voice.

Again, I should stress this is the most ambitious thing I've attempted and I'm totally out of my depth so you'll have to be patient with my amateurish organisation skills. However, the more I think about it the more I believe we can pull it off! I do have a pretty detailed idea of how it's going to go and the music that will be used so if anyone has any questions or wants the current draft let me know and I'll pm it to you.

If you need any NC vehicles or infantry to film / otherwise destroy then I can make myself available! I suspect you don't though (or I'm sure you would have mentioned it) *sad panda face*

I do also have a VS character that I am pretty skillled at standing around with. Like, proper high level stuff.

I would like to give it try

eltdown, to keep things simple I've revised an idea that would have originally featured NC/TR to be just Vanu since I still get flashbacks to the time Quantacat tried to get that running with a lot less complicated set pieces which ended in a lot of griefing.

That said you really won't need certs or special equipment/camo, only the "star" harrasser of the piece should have anything beyond standard issue gear. Come join us!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    I'm in. Can't wait!

Oh, I mean, I am looking forward to it, to waiting...
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Fantastic, we already have enough people to film at least half of it! We just need to agree a time that we can be all on now. What are the odds we can get at least 4 of us doing something, say, tomorrow evening? I can do any timings but I suspect between 7-8pm UK time is going to be the most amicable to the most people. Let me know, and I'll immediately start working out which bits we can do.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    I could probably do tomorrow evening but probably wouldn't be online until 8ish. Also, if I'm still having lag issues I should probably stay awful from any driving or flying - I've lost several vehicles to lag related accidents recently.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    i'm in, but i'll usually only be online after 8 pm or so

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    This sounds amazing, I love these kinds of things! Count me in. I play most evenings, usually after 8 pm, but sometimes already at 7 pm.

8pm sounds good to me to.

I think i might still have the continent maps that i MS paint'd to remind me of pretty locations. Way back when myself and Mitch took the time to scout out nice looking places in mind for things like this...

(screenshot thread)

I'll see if i can dig out the maps if you think they might be remotely useful?

Edit: Yes Eltdown! Everyone is welcome. That thread i linked reminded me of your cinematic eye.
    Last edited by NickWhite; 24-06-2013 at 11:30 PM.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Right, lets say 8pm uk time. Thanks guys, appreciate the support!

I'll come along and help if you like. I'm good at standing around.

Network Hub
    Eight is pretty good for me too, looking forward to it.

8pm? Should be around. Aww yeah!

NickWhite: you've reminded me I never finished posting all those boring landscapes I took! Will crack on with uploading them soonish.

I am totally in, and I am down to do flying, driving or infantry, whatever you need doing. Loved the last filming session with Quanta, even though the organisation was difficult. I'll be on for 8

I forgot about that thread, some of those shots really are stunning. Looks like even if the driving/flying ends up being a disaster we have at least three or four great directors of photography / location scouts to bring out the beauty in those explosions.

EDIT - Phatchance I should warn you now, I'm nowhere near as assertive as Quanta and I'm so far from doing this sort of thing for a living it's laughable.

The only guarantee I can make is we'll have a laugh whatever happens.

Probably.
    Last edited by jaguar skills; 25-06-2013 at 12:09 AM.