Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar

Forcing resolutions for games

So I use Nvidia Surround with three 1680x1050 monitors and some games don't like that. Some games, however, either don't have resolution settings - Signal Ops is one recent example that comes to mindd - and others become impossible to navigate as they take the width of the monitor and automatically adopt a standard aspect ratio so the height is massive, making the UI very broken, I think Battlestations: Midway does that. Anyway, is there any way I can force a game to think I'm running just one monitor and get it to display in the centre monitor only? I don't mind if it's windowed, I just don't want to have to keep turning Surround on and off is all.

I know I can edit the .ini for games that let me, but there are some that don't have such settings... Any help please?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    You can edit the target filename for the shortcut to be something like "c:\directory\gamedir\game.exe" -w which should force it to run in a window.

Warning about that though, not all games like running in windowed mode, some of them don't like grabbing the mouse cursor either when they're in it and because they're not used/meant to be run in windowed mode they won't do it. That makes playing any game involving look around with the mouse a right pain.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Thanks, I'll give that a go. If not I guess I'll learn the keyboard shortcuts to toggle Surround on and off, if only there was a way to get it to recognise my monitors are connected in the right order already without all that dragging stuff around thing...