Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

RPS' Anti-Conformists

I don't really know what else to call them. I mean the people who seem to be against opinions simply because being against opinions is unique and cool. Like this guy. He seems to be complaining about the fact that people are pointing out SW:TOR looks naff and GW2 looks better.

He's one of the more common ones, but I've seen a lot of them about especially in the comments section.

Can anyone explain this to me? And do they irritate anyone else more than anything? I wouldn't mind if they said, "Oh, I think it looks pretty cool and I don't care what you guys think of me." It's the smarmy way these kinds do it that irritates the shit out of me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Not the best place to ask. This forum is full of people who hate different opinions. In other words, almost every single person on this forum other than myself is one of those RPS Anti-Conformists.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    This forum is full of people who hate different opinions.
    Including you, apparently!

Network Hub
    almost every single person on this forum other than myself is one of those RPS Anti-Conformists.
    Intentionally ironic?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    This forum is full of people who hate different opinions.
    Coming from the guy who can't go three posts without insulting somebody, I find this hilarious.

(and OP: I half expected that link to point towards a post by Wulf. But Wulf's more eloquent than that. :p)
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    I'm all for lively debate. The thing is, that's not what happens. Quite a few people try to shut down discussions by labelling their opponents naive fanboys or bitter haters, which is not fruitful. I think we should have a rule that the first person to be unable to respond to an argument and has to dismiss the arguer automatically loses.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

They're just expressing their frustration at the way that every TOR thread on RPS gets gatecrashed by folks who clearly made up their mind about the game a long time ago and/or can't shut up about GW2. For anyone actually interested in discussing the game it's undoubtedly frustrating having to wade through so much shit.
    Last edited by Rii; 18-08-2011 at 01:15 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Coming from the guy who can't go three posts without insulting somebody, I find this hilarious.
    Uh, no. I very rarely (if ever) insult people. I, on the other hand, receive a whole load of abuse from people like you. I can rise above it, though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    If that's the worst of this community, then it's doing pretty damn good by my standards. Of course, my standards are ridiculously low these days, so make of that what you will.

or can't shut up about GW2.
    That GW2 thingy sure is somethin' though!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    They're just expressing their frustration at the way that every TOR thread on RPS gets gatecrashed by folks who clearly made up their mind about the game a long time ago and/or can't shut up about GW2. For anyone actually interested in discussing the game it's undoubtedly frustrating having to wade through so much shit.
    Except that GW2 enters the conversation naturally. Both games occupy the same genre, both are big budget titles and both will be released around the same time, give or take a few months. Anyone contemplating buying one will have naturally heard of and be contemplating buying the other. Good or bad, comparisons are inevitable.

Activated Node
    1) I've had plenty of intelligent debates on this forum, there's intelligent opinion to be had. If you don't like something at least, you know, have reasons not to.

2) GW2 looks sick.
    saos.posterous.com for knowledge

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Not the best place to ask. This forum is full of people who hate different opinions. In other words, almost every single person on this forum other than myself is one of those RPS Anti-Conformists.
    I'm Spartacus.

A housewife is making dinner for her husband before he comes home when she hears a news bulletin on the radio: "Attention all M50 drivers, there is a car driving the wrong way along the motorway. Please take extreme caution on your journey."
    "Oh no!" she thinks "My husband is coming home via the M50!"
    So she calls his mobile to warn him of the news: "Love, watch out, there's a driver going the wrong way down the M50!"
    "One driver!? There's flipping hundreds of them!"

Ba dum tish.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    Except that GW2 enters the conversation naturally. Both games occupy the same genre, both are big budget titles and both will be released around the same time, give or take a few months. Anyone contemplating buying one will have naturally heard of and be contemplating buying the other. Good or bad, comparisons are inevitable.
    That's absolutely true, but there's a difference between entering the conversation and drowning out all other conversation with headache-inducing white noise. Its no single contributors' fault, but the overall reading experience is just terrible. I'm not at all surprised that people who are actually interested in discussing the finer points of the game are lashing out.
    Last edited by Rii; 18-08-2011 at 01:39 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    I'm all for lively debate. The thing is, that's not what happens. Quite a few people try to shut down discussions by labelling their opponents naive fanboys or bitter haters, which is not fruitful. I think we should have a rule that the first person to be unable to respond to an argument and has to dismiss the arguer automatically loses.
    Isn't that what a debate is actually supposed to be like?