Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar

New video - Stark

The last 3 videos have all been pretty up-tempo and hectic. That's quite a run for me considering I made the same slow thing twice in a row at one point. I think I like this the best out of the things I've done so far overall so I fully accept my fate of everyone else hating it. I mean, I'm sure a few of you guys will appreciate it but I suspect this will die even quicker than Treason on Reddit.

Anyway, watch it! Oh, full disclosure. I used one teensy weensy post processing filter on the very first shot, it's the defocus tool in vegas. To be fair if they'd just include a defocus tool in the game I wouldn't have to pull such shenanigans.

Meddit - http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/c...tside_2_video/

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period.
    I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well, after the first minute or so, I really liked that one.

Some great shots there too. Through split peak and on the biolab pad were very impressive.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    I really liked this video! I sort of wish night-time was really this dark sometimes. I've set my brightness at 50%so that I can see anything, but it would've been interesting to actually have to use NV equipment. And flashlights...

Really liked the pacing and the images. The Scythe-flying section was cool too.

Yeah cmaster the first minute is definitely the longest one, I've still to figure out how to totally make things slow while keeping them compelling but this is the closest I've got since One I think. The reason I'm so happy with it is smaller things that probably matter more to me than anyone watching. For example, wheras before if I was going for a night theme and the sun came up before I was ready I'd often say fuck it and just add some day stuff. Or if things went wrong with the continent I'd go somewhere else and sod continuity. With this one I think I shot it over 5 ingame nights, doing a bit of editing between each one. I also stuck with Amerish when we capped it and it became a real pain in the arse to find fights.

You know, I don't post process the darkness either, you can thank youtube for that. When I export the mp4 it looks exactly like it does in the game, then I upload to youtube and it has the audacity to completely darken it and then throw up the message "would you like us to improve your lighting?"
    I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period.
    I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Network Hub
    The first minute of this was my favourite bit of your stuff so far, I liked the way the tempo of the vid increased along with the music, but I thought the end was so-so, just more Planetside pew-pew really.

This is amazing stuff. Beautiful imagery. Wonderful music (my absolute favourite artists belong to this genre and I now know that I should really listen more to Boards of Canada). And is that a reference to Dear Esther in the very first scene?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Boards of Canada are great, Scythes look really amazing on film, nighttime is stunning, plus lovely lasers. Another banging number from that Jaguar's Kills!

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Boards of Canada are great, Scythes look really amazing on film, nighttime is stunning, plus lovely lasers. Another banging number from that Jaguar's Kills!
    This! /10char

Quote Originally Posted by LaKroy View Post
    And is that a reference to Dear Esther in the very first scene?
    I'm a big fan of Dear Esther and am the proud owner of both the original mod and the fancy remake but I can't claim that reference. I'm not even sure which bit you mean? Just need to know so next time someone asks I can lie and say yes, I really am that erudite

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar skills View Post
    I'm a big fan of Dear Esther and am the proud owner of both the original mod and the fancy remake but I can't claim that reference. I'm not even sure which bit you mean? Just need to know so next time someone asks I can lie and say yes, I really am that erudite
    I'm also a big fan, but I never played the original. The reference I'm suggesting, at 0:15-0:20, is the radio tower with a blinking light that plays a big role throughout the "game". A bit far fetched perhaps, but still...

Quote Originally Posted by LaKroy View Post
    I'm also a big fan, but I never played the original. The reference I'm suggesting, at 0:15-0:20, is the radio tower with a blinking light that plays a big role throughout the "game". A bit far fetched perhaps, but still...
    Aaaaah I gotcha. I didn't do it consciously but I really did mean it when I say I'm a big fan. I'm one of those wankhat-firmly-in-place fools that will happily talk for hours about why it's so important to our emerging culture.

I wish there was a way to play the new version without knowing anything about the original though, I feel like I enjoyed the mod more but it's probably just the impact I had can't be repeated again.

And I know it's not really a game, but it was definitely a piece of art that, for me at least, was enhanced greatly by the fact that it was me taking that journey and hearing those thoughts as I went. It also had that holy trinity of beautiful haunting music, a wonderful script and a compelling voice to read it. Shit, I want to go play it now.

A bit of that music for anyone that hasn't played it (and if you haven't played it, at least try the free HL2 mod. http://www.moddb.com/mods/dear-esther)