Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Network Hub

Amnesia in space? Sign me up!

http://youtu.be/iAcAd1fUiy8

Can't wait for this

This is looking awesome, Amnesia set on the moon, essentially. I liked Dead Space, but this looks much more along the lines of what I'd want a horror-game in space to be. Some points from their site:

• A non linear experience lets you explore any part of the fully open Moon base and find out secrets that other players may not!
    • Be immersed with Full body awareness, Deadzone aiming, no HUD, no health bars or points system... you must run, hide and survive the best you can against what lurks in the base.
    • There are no health packs or multiple lives, in Routine there is a Perma death system that will keep you on the edge!
    This is going to be very tense. Also, love that 80's-imagined future. The night-vision low-frame screen on your gun/pulse thing is very cool.
    Last edited by Cosm; 26-06-2013 at 04:16 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    in Routine there is a Perma death system that will keep you on the edge!
    Sounds pretty great. Amnesia's biggest issue was probably the lack of penalty upon dying.

I can't really see how permadeath could work in an exploration-based game. Imagine you had to start Amnesia from the begging very time you died. It'd be awful. Repetition is the death of horror.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Yeah, perma-death works best in games with procedurally generated levels, like FTL and Binding of Isaac. It'd be terrible in Amnesia, but Routine apparently won't be as linear as that. Maybe if the locations of mission objectives are randomized every new session, and the game is no longer than 3-4 hours it might work.

Love the look of the game overall though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Unless the game is only about 2 hours long then permadeath is just a horrible horrible idea. Permadeath only works in short games and randomly generated ones because in short games, you don't mind dying and in randomly generated ones the fun of the game is in playing the new levels it creates. If you had to play the same 2 hours over and over again in a 4 hour game just because at that point someone always killed you, exploring the first 2 hours of the game is going to be dull.

Also it looks a lot more like Doom 3 than an Amnesia in space, particularly the panels, how you interact with them and the fact you've a weapon. I'll keep an eye on it though, it does look kinda cool and I'm one of those people who kinda liked Doom 3.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    I can't really see how permadeath could work in an exploration-based game. Imagine you had to start Amnesia from the begging very time you died. It'd be awful. Repetition is the death of horror.
    Sure, but procedural generation well made can mean you can't relax, Oh you expected to be okay with just 2 oxygen tanks? The bridge you were on just collapsed so now you have a limp and scarcely enough time. Death to linear scripts.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Goddamn. I was already pretty interested in the game just from various previews I'd read, but that trailer completely sells me on it. I loved the sound design, and how astonishingly loud the gunfire was after the relative silence of the base. Also, the end of the trailer was perfect.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Oh man oh man oh man when's it coming out? Everything I've seen of this game (which isn't much) suggests I'm going to love it. I thought that robot near the start had a ;_; face... Shame. Still, it looked pretty distressed anyway.

Whilst crapping my pants already I'm too very eager to try this! :o

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Agreed. No one would play dead space if every time you died you started from the beginning. Similarly no one would play Dark souls if you ended back at the asylum every time you copped it either. People might well buy this game (because ooh hardcore), but how many will actually finish it is an entirely different matter.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I can't really see how permadeath could work in an exploration-based game.
    Slender?

I'm raising an eyebrow in minor confusion at the news, but it's not like it couldn't work if designed around it.

Like I said, it depends on the length of the game. Too long and permadeath will just put more people off.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Is this only pc title ?

It looks like it, there's only Steam listed at the end of the trailer. Also, that game with the Oculus Rift?

Fuck.

No.

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Wait, permadeath or "hardcore"? I'd not like to pay 15 for it, fall down the first set of stairs after 2 mins, and be greeted forever with "The end"...

PS, as long as this is all robots and tech gone wrong, I could probably play it on the Occulus Rift and stroll around like a boss... "It's all just friendly machines", I'd tell myself... ;)
    Last edited by TechnicalBen; 26-06-2013 at 05:59 PM.

Activated Node
    One of the best compromises was the 1999 Aliens vs Predators. No saving within each level but progress was saved between levels. True tension but all progress wasn't lost upon death.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    No save by the sound of it, but you can go anywhere. So die on the bridge? Next time go the other way. Else go back and try again. By the sounds of it, it won't be 2 hours to get to [point a, b or c] but a central hub. So deaths reset your progress... but not your experience?

I think it looks cool. But something bothers me…

If the game is set on the moon, why the hell do the guy try to climb a ladder while he could jump over thanks to the low gravity.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Quote Originally Posted by Drayk View Post
    I think it looks cool. But something bothers me…

If the game is set on the moon, why the hell do the guy try to climb a ladder while he could jump over thanks to the low gravity.
    Gravity generator in the facility he's in bringing it in line with Earth's gravity?

Steam ID