Obscure Node

Please Help Save Me From PS4

Hello Wise Men and Women of RPS!

Recently I was taken in by the glitz and glamour of the PS4 launch, despite being a contented PC gamer for a few years now. Slowly though, I have regained my senses and I have started to wonder about using the money put aside for the heathen console to upgrade my PC instead.

Currently I am using a PC equippped with:

Intel Core i7 960 @ 3.20 GHz (I appreciate this chip is getting slightly long in the tooth, but I hadn't planned to upgrade it yet)
    6 GB RAM (I was thinking of upgrading to 16GB)
    Radeon HD 5870 (This is the part that I want to spend the money on really)

I haven't opened up my PC recently, so I couldn't tell you what PSU I have, I do realise I may need to upgrade it depending on the video card I settle on.

The problem, then, is that I'm basically clueless. I'd like to be able to play current games and games being released, say, in the next year at the highest possible settings.

My budget is 300-350.

I had been looking at a 7970 or a GTX 770 but like I said, clueless.

Please, guide me away from the path of the console and help me find a graphics card. Thank you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    All you really need is a new video card. Just go to Newegg and look at which ones are coming with which 3 or 4 free games, then buy the one with the free games that interest you the most. There are a ton of $250 cards that come with around $150 worth of free games.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    You will want to make sure you have a 500W+ PSU before you get a high end video card. For the price and power a 7870 is a good deal. 7970 is more power but costs 60-100% more. I'm sure the Nvidia are are comparable but I have no experience with them. (have a 7950 and 7870)

You have enough RAM as long as you leave 4GB free in the background for the game. I know I tend to have 20 things open and use a lot of RAM and its nice to have more.

I assume you have a decent 20-24 inch LCD monitor that runs at 1920x1080?

Obscure Node
    Thank you both for replying!

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    All you really need is a new video card. Just go to Newegg and look at which ones are coming with which 3 or 4 free games, then buy the one with the free games that interest you the most. There are a ton of $250 cards that come with around $150 worth of free games.
    I'll check that out, I mean, who doesn't like free games, right? I have a sneaking suspicion that Newegg don't ship to the UK, but it'll be good for research, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    You will want to make sure you have a 500W+ PSU before you get a high end video card. For the price and power a 7870 is a good deal. 7970 is more power but costs 60-100% more. I'm sure the Nvidia are are comparable but I have no experience with them. (have a 7950 and 7870)

You have enough RAM as long as you leave 4GB free in the background for the game. I know I tend to have 20 things open and use a lot of RAM and its nice to have more.

I assume you have a decent 20-24 inch LCD monitor that runs at 1920x1080?
    Yes, I actually bought a new monitor quite recently, it's a 24" 1920x1080 job which is both handy and really nice. So that's one thing off the shopping list.

I'd prefer an AMD card to be honest, no rational reason why, but there it is. Having flicked through PC Gamer, I notice they recommend the Club3D Radeon HD 7870 XT Jokercard which seems to cost less than 200. Excellent.

As regards a new PSU, am I right in thinking it's really not worth getting one that costs less than 20 on scan.co.uk? Cheaper = more likely to explode, right?

Thanks for your help so far, and you patience!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Corsair and Antec are brands I use and are generally regarding as good PSU brands. I see they have Corsair/Antec on scan.co.uk for 40 to 60 that would probably suffice. I think a few other threads in the Tech Help have others highlighting not to skimp the PSU.

Obscure Node
    Ok I just ordered

XFX DD Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition (Tahiti LE) (with 4 free games. Woo!)
    XFX 650W Pro Core Edition 80Plus PSU
    Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2x4) RAM

....which will all hopefully play nicely together. I figured that having a more powerful PSU than I need was probably the best way to go.

Thanks for all your help.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Nice. Which games did you get? I'm going to need a new video card this year. I'm going to hold off and see if they bundle one with BF4/Dark Souls 2/Witcher 3.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Obscure Node
    The games were Bioshock Infinite/Far Cry 3/Blood Dragon/Tomb Raider, which seemed pretty decent as free games offers goes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    That's the same 4 I would have gone with. I want to play all of those and don't yet own them. I don't need a new video card to play anything right now though, so I'll wait for the next batch of games later in the year.