Network Hub

Laptop fan is rattling

I recently got a new laptop about a month ago. Just last night the fan started rattling. Admittedly it isn't the loudest death rattle in the world, but my limited knowledge of such problems tells me that while I could possibly alleviate it slightly with some form of lubricant etc. it's the kind of problem that will only get worse with time. So I'm wondering should I try and get the laptop replaced while I still can or am I massively overreacting?

Since it's new, there's no point in trying to fix it yourself and risk voiding the warranty. The best you can likely do is disassemble, clean and reassemble the thing, which I doubt would cure the rattle for long, if at all: fans usually only do that when they're damaged/worn and require replacement.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The correct solution, under UK consumer law, is to return the laptop to the RETAILER (not the manufacturer) for repair.

The problem with that is they can take their sweet time about it - there's no guarantee they'll fix it properly - they may even replace the laptop (thus you lose all your data) - it's a massive ballache.

If it's just a dodgy fan - or even something stuck in the fan - the replacement isn't likely to be a big job if you're willing to pull the thing apart. You don't really affect the warranty because few, if any, laptops have 'warranty' stickers on them these days anyway.

What I would do is...

If I could bear wiping it and returning it, then I'd do that and patiently await a repaired/replaced item (it could be weeks)
    If I needed the laptop and were confident enough to rip-it-apart - I'd do that, find the rattle and source a replacement part.

Those are the options tho - don't think about
    Using a PC repair shop (costs money, no need)
    Contacting the manufacturer about the problem (you lose your SOGA rights if anything else goes wrong)

Network Hub
    Thanks for the replies guys.

- I opened up my last laptop to try and fix a dodgy power jack after I got this new one. It didn't end well and hasn't exactly filled me with confidence to try and repair another one. Especially one that's just new.

- I'd never think about using a PC repair shop. They always tend to charge extortionate prices for the simplest things.

- It seems my only real option then is to send it back to the retailer and have them try to repair it or replace the fan. I bought it from amazon.co.uk, does anyone have experience of their laptop repairs? Specifically their turnaround time and if they are actually going to do a good job or just claim to have fixed it and thrown in some old spare fan that'll act up again in a few months (Yeah, I've had bad experience with laptop repairs in the past).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Power connectors are one of the hardest things to fix in a laptop - they generally require total teardown, fiddly soldering and careful reconstruction.

Fans are often accessible without a complete teardown - what make model of laptop is it, we can find out that quickly...

As for Amazon, they won't repair it in-house AFAIK - they'll either knock-it-back to the manuf, their supplier or to a third-party repair company - depending on how they sourced it.

There's a high chance you'll simply get a different laptop (actual laptop - not make model although it might even be that!) back - if it's repaired, the quality and timescale of the job are unknowable but I'd think in the '2-6 weeks' bracket).

I WOULD NOT return a laptop anywhere with my data on it unless you really have nothing personal, no pics/music - no saved passwords - nothing you care about on there (and you'll need it locally in case a diff. machines returns anyway).

Is it a REALLY obvious rattle?? Would someone who uses laptops notice it instantly or do you have to point-it-out to people? If the latter - wait until it's the former because you don't want to waste a few weeks to get it back with "no fault found" written on it.

and point a can of compressed air into all the vents first - you'd be amazed what that can do sometimes... (see your local supermarket for these).

@Death, just check Amazon's return policies for laptops in your country. In mine, they have detailed pages explaining what are the options and how they are handled.

Personally, I found Amazon's policies to be far better than any other retailer's I've ever dealt with. I am sometimes buying from them even if it's a bit more expensive, because of the no headache/no trying to screw me experience they offer.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    You're certainly better-off than you would be buying from PC World and the like - but this is one of the things I point people at Dell for, because most of their laptops now include at-home service whereby someone comes and fixed the thing in your home (or at work or wherever you get the service).

Laptops are personal things - you get attached. They're not TVs or other things which are easily replaced and so it's worth spending a BIT more to ensure you have the service cover you need...